Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Type of cables for in-wall Beolab 15 & 16

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 5 Followers

HC
Not Ranked
Oslo, Norway
Posts 76
Bronze Member
HC Posted: Thu, Apr 23 2015 6:58 PM

Hi guys,

I'm Having a set of Beolab 15 & 16 installed in a new bathroom, and my B&O dealer suggested to use two Cat7 cables for each speaker. However, I overheard a person at another B&O store suggest to use speaker cables with four wires each (4-leder in Norwegian). I'm not able to consult with this guy to get an explanation.

Each speaker has an RJ45 input for "Control" and 2x2 inputs for "Speaker" which I suppose is power, i.e. + and - for TW and Mid on the speakers and + and - for each of the two units in the sub.

Do you have any advice on what cables to use? I suppose that the plugs will have to be installed on the cables after they've been placed in the wall.

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 995
Bronze Member
StUrrock replied on Thu, Apr 23 2015 7:58 PM
HC:

Hi guys,

I'm Having a set of Beolab 15 & 16 installed in a new bathroom, and my B&O dealer suggested to use two Cat7 cables for each speaker. However, I overheard a person at another B&O store suggest to use speaker cables with four wires each (4-leder in Norwegian). I'm not able to consult with this guy to get an explanation.

Each speaker has an RJ45 input for "Control" and 2x2 inputs for "Speaker" which I suppose is power, i.e. + and - for TW and Mid on the speakers and + and - for each of the two units in the sub.

Do you have any advice on what cables to use? I suppose that the plugs will have to be installed on the cables after they've been placed in the wall.

Is this dealer for real?
HC
Not Ranked
Oslo, Norway
Posts 76
Bronze Member
HC replied on Thu, Apr 23 2015 9:29 PM

Not completely sure what you mean with that. The dealer that sold med the set suggested double Cat7 and will provide cables and fix the plugs after the bathroom wall has been closed and finished.

The guy who mentioned speaker cables where a tech guy /installer at a competing B&O dealer I contacted on a demo model of the same set, I only heard him in the background when I was talking to another guy about what I needed in addition to the demo speakers. I never bought anything here, so I suppose it will be difficult to get hold of that guy in the background to ask what he really suggested for a set I never bought.

Are one or both of the suggestions bad, or what did you have in mind?

Amazone
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 187
Bronze Member
Amazone replied on Fri, Apr 24 2015 9:36 AM

I Agree the manual is not very clear, basically just a few drawings.

As far as I understand you need to use one pair of CAT/RJ45 cable and also two pairs of regular speaker cable for each speaker. (Or one speaker cable containing 2x2 wires)

Since the speakers are basically 'passive' (with a remote 'active' amplifier) you need to use cabling meant for passive speakers and you cannot run the full power from the amp to the speaker over CAT. When you have alook at the pictures you will easily recognize that both amp and speakers have regular speaker cable terminals instead of RJ45 terminals for CAT cabling.

BeoVision 11-55, BeoLab 8000, BeoRemote One BT, AppleTV 4, 2x BeoPlay A2, BeoPlay A1

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 995
Bronze Member
StUrrock replied on Fri, Apr 24 2015 10:20 AM

Page 6 of the installation Guide for Amplifier one is very specific in its requirements for the speker cable.

Please ask your dealer for a copy of this.

It seems this dealer has never installed one before :)

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 995
Bronze Member
StUrrock replied on Fri, Apr 24 2015 10:20 AM

Sorry double post

HC
Not Ranked
Oslo, Norway
Posts 76
Bronze Member
HC replied on Fri, Apr 24 2015 11:19 AM

Right, that's what I'm wondering as well - are the speakers really passive? The speakers are motorized so that they are tilted out of the wall when turned on, they would need electricity to do that. However, I'm not sure which cable is used for power, I thought it was the none-RJ45 one but then it's probably the CAT with RJ45 - I don't know.

About the "easily recognize that both amp and speakers have regular speaker cable terminals": I wasn't sure about this, as the terminals on the actual speakers are quite strange and require some "plug". You can also see this on a page in the installation guide of the speakers, but that's all (see picture below).  Perhaps it's included in the box, I don't know since I got a demo set without all accessories. Sad

HC
Not Ranked
Oslo, Norway
Posts 76
Bronze Member
HC replied on Fri, Apr 24 2015 11:21 AM

Right, that guide is not available on web - only User Guide for Amp1 and Install guide for BL15 and BL16, and no relevant info on this there. Dealer has a demo set installed on a demo wall in addition to this set which was apparently "as good as new and only opened in the store but they lost the box".

A bit strange that there is an installation guide not available on web?

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 995
Bronze Member
StUrrock replied on Fri, Apr 24 2015 11:57 AM

HC:

Right, that guide is not available on web - only User Guide for Amp1 and Install guide for BL15 and BL16, and no relevant info on this there. Dealer has a demo set installed on a demo wall in addition to this set which was apparently "as good as new and only opened in the store but they lost the box".

A bit strange that there is an installation guide not available on web?

What is even stranger is that you ever so helpful dealer is not giving you the information you need.

All they have to do is download the guide from the B&O support website and email it to you.

Sack them and go to someone who knows what they are doing.

You are buying an expensive piece of kit from them and they are not giving you the information you need, that is just plain stupid.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Do you mean this:

http://media.datatail.com/docs/manual/148923_fr.pdf

The speakers are two-way speakers - you need two R/L cables for each speaker.

In a way you can say, that these are 'active speakers' - with an external dedicated amplifier and long cables.

The RJ45 cable is for controlling the built-in motor of the speaker (they can turn when activated).

Use the cables recommended/supplied from B&O.

There is no excuse - your dealer should order them and they should be part of the packet.

But i am sure Steve at SoundsHeavenly could also help, if needed - if you need other lenghts etc.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

HC
Not Ranked
Oslo, Norway
Posts 76
Bronze Member
HC replied on Fri, Apr 24 2015 12:28 PM

StUrrock:

What is even stranger is that you ever so helpful dealer is not giving you the information you need.

All they have to do is download the guide from the B&O support website and email it to you.

Sack them and go to someone who knows what they are doing.

You are buying an expensive piece of kit from them and they are not giving you the information you need, that is just plain stupid.

I agree, I should go somewhere else - but I'm too deep into this right now so it'll have to bee next time.

HC
Not Ranked
Oslo, Norway
Posts 76
Bronze Member
HC replied on Fri, Apr 24 2015 12:31 PM

Millemissen:

Do you mean this:

In a way you can say, that these are 'active speakers' - with an external dedicated amplifier and long cables.

The RJ45 cable is for controlling the built-in motor of the speaker (they can turn when activated).

There is no excuse - your dealer should order them and they should be part of the packet.

But i am sure Steve at SoundsHeavenly could also help, if needed - if you need other lenghts etc.

MM

Well, I found that one (labeled user guide) - but StUrrock mentioned a page 6 in an install guide where the cable specifics where supposed to be, I couldn't find any details in the user guide..

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 995
Bronze Member
StUrrock replied on Fri, Apr 24 2015 12:45 PM

HC:

Millemissen:

Do you mean this:

MM

Well, I found that one (labeled user guide) - but StUrrock mentioned a page 6 in an install guide where the cable specifics where supposed to be, I couldn't find any details in the user guide..

Just email the dealer and DEMAND he emails the B&O install guide to you!

It is less than 30 seconds work for him/her.Erm..

HC
Not Ranked
Oslo, Norway
Posts 76
Bronze Member
HC replied on Fri, Apr 24 2015 9:15 PM

StUrrock:

HC:

Millemissen:

Do you mean this:

MM

Just email the dealer and DEMAND he emails the B&O install guide to you!

It is less than 30 seconds work for him/her.Erm..

Thanks, I did - and he sent it. He also added in the email that B&O recommends to use Cat7, but it seems in the install guide that thats just for control, while regular speaker cables are used for in addition, as the other guy and you guys suggested - though it is not perfectly clear the way I read it, but perhaps thats just because of all the uncertainty so far.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Pretty simple - run one 4-wired cable (with the special connector) and one Cat7 (with the RJ45 connector) to each speaker!

MM

HC
Not Ranked
Oslo, Norway
Posts 76
Bronze Member
HC replied on Fri, Apr 24 2015 9:48 PM

Millemissen:

Pretty simple - run one 4-wired cable (with the special connector) and one Cat7 (with the RJ45 connector) to each speaker!

MM

Thanks a lot! Though I fear I am starting to get very annoying now: Should I expect the special connectors to be included in the speaker /amp set? And would it be better to use two 2-wire cables for the Sub, where the speaker terminals are almost 20cm apart?

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 995
Bronze Member
StUrrock replied on Fri, Apr 24 2015 9:55 PM
HC:

Thanks a lot! Though I fear I am starting to get very annoying now: Should I expect the special connectors to be included in the speaker /amp set? And would it be better to use two 2-wire cables for the Sub, where the speaker terminals are almost 20cm apart?

This dealer is clearly an idiot, please name and shame.

He should have answered all your questions!
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

HC:

Millemissen:

MM

You are not getting annoying.

But your dealer has (as StUrrock writes) revealed himself incompetend.

Of course he should have provided the cables. That is - if you made a really good deal, you now will have to buy these extra.

Which - of course - your dealer should already have offered.

MM

w5bno123
Top 150 Contributor
London
Posts 578
Bronze Member
w5bno123 replied on Sat, Apr 25 2015 1:18 PM
HC:

The speaker cable terminal blocks are supplied with the amplifier 1 and respective speakers. This is a basic installation, I fear that if your dealer is struggling with this what else have they not been able to do for you?

I normally use the pink QED 4 core cable and splice it and the subwoofer.

http://www.qed.co.uk/qed_professional/qx16/2_and_qx16/4_lszh.html

The CAT7 cable provides power to the speaker and also data back to the amp on how far each speaker is so it can calibrate each speaker accordingly.

Stoobietoo
Top 150 Contributor
Exeter, Devon, UK
Posts 692
Gold Member

Last month I bought the same set up (ex demo). It is all packed away in bubble wrap waiting installation. I suddenly thought I better check i have all the connectors and I do. The dealer was excellent and gave me all the cables free as once he'd disassembled the display he said he would have no use for the cables. All connectors present and correct,.

Here is a photo of the cabling given to me, it is fairly heavy duty copper stranded.

It might be a little unfair to "have a go" at the dealer for not supplying all the correct connectors on an ex demo setup as his installer would have dismantled the display and often the dealer is not an installer so won't know what parts come in the pack or which are extras. When I bought mine, the dealer said he hoped everything was in the package but if anything was missing to get back to him. If the dealer provides everything once you ask there is not an issue. If he is unhelpful or tries to tell you standard part are extras - that is a different story.

Stoobie

HC
Not Ranked
Oslo, Norway
Posts 76
Bronze Member
HC replied on Mon, Apr 27 2015 9:10 AM

Thanks a lot all of you, really appreciate it! I'll get the speaker cables myself somewhere and let the dealer provide the CAT and do the terminals and the calibration.

I got the impression that at least I will get a brand new set to the same price as the demo set will all the issues, but we'll see.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi HC,

Apologies for the very late reply to this thread, I trust that you got your Beolab 15/16 speakers connected and working at the time of posting.  I just happened upon the thread today by accident, so I thought I should reply to Millemissen's earlier post to confirm that I'm always happy to help with cables or connectors for these speakers.

If you (or anyone else reading this thread) needs assistance, I keep these cables and connectors in stock ready to ship.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

Page 1 of 1 (22 items) | RSS