Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BeoGram6000 typ5512

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

ALF
Top 100 Contributor
AUS
Posts 1,015
Silver Member
ALF Posted: Thu, Apr 30 2015 3:01 PM

Greetings dear members,

just got 'lucky' and bought a BeoGram6000 turntable - so far so good - most seem to work

after some mechanical adjustments - tone arm, platter height and suspension

but......the tonearm lowers as it should (?) but no sound ???

I red it apparently has a buit-in pre-amp ?!  does that mean it has to be connected to a line-level input

or still required to be connected to phono ?

tried both but 'no sound' audible !

and YES, the cartridge works fine............just in case you ask Smile

is the silent-mode function dead ? or better say the opposite ??

anyone, please ......

thank you guys

ALF

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Thu, Apr 30 2015 4:18 PM

If the quad board is there, it produces line level output and uses all 5 pins. It does work fine as a stereo deck though but again at line level. I suggest the muting relay is stuck. Maybe try lifting and lowering the arm using the buttons several times!

Peter

ALF
Top 100 Contributor
AUS
Posts 1,015
Silver Member
ALF replied on Fri, May 1 2015 9:41 AM

hi peter,

sadly that did not help - as suggested I plugged it in a line-level input as I thought this is the one but 'no'

silence.

it however worked at the beginning and I can't figure out what I could have possibly done

during the mechanical adjustments as the table was unplugged from the mains ??

I noticed the when lowering the arm via the lift, the carriage moves forward just a tick at the same time which is not what should happen but it has to remain on the spot ???

so, there are a couple of problems already, question is: where to from here ?

very disappointing :-((

perhaps some of our professionals have some more suggestions ?

they are most welcome

cheers, ALF

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 734
Bronze Member
Lee replied on Fri, May 1 2015 11:58 AM
Sounds like the muting relay circuit. The beogram 6000 is essentially a 4002 with a CD4 decoder built in. Try cleaning the contacts on the relay with a bit of rough paper dipped in isopropyl. Put the paper between the contacts and gently press them together as you remove the paper. Don't use anything too abrasive as you will remove the plating from the contacts!
ALF
Top 100 Contributor
AUS
Posts 1,015
Silver Member
ALF replied on Fri, May 1 2015 2:03 PM

I presume you are referring to the Siemens Relay on the main board as there is no other relay ?!

cheers, ALF

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 734
Bronze Member
Lee replied on Fri, May 1 2015 2:29 PM
Ignore that last picture. It's the Siemens one you mentioned. You could also try adjusting the trim pot that's near it. This effects the delay of the muting relay and may be oxidised.
ALF
Top 100 Contributor
AUS
Posts 1,015
Silver Member
ALF replied on Sat, May 2 2015 4:23 AM

hi lee & peter,

opened the Siemens and did what I could with a naked paper stripe, rubbing between the contacts as good a possible...easy to access the contacts  from the edge side of the board side, tricky from the opposite side!

whatever made an impact,  it is now back to   'audible sound'  - would be great if it stays like that.

not quite sure though how much the arm adjustment played into all of this ??  Unsure

I looked at those very tiny naked tone-arm wires that comes out under the arm-wand and go over the spring of the tracking-force wheel.

should those wires actually touch the arm assembly at all without causing a short ?????  Confused

I won't touch anything for now......as long as I can hear sound  Cool

thanks for all your input - good to know one is in safe hands here

ALF

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 734
Bronze Member
Lee replied on Sat, May 2 2015 10:54 AM
Those wires are insulated with a thin coating of varnish so don't worry about them.

Glad it seems to be working :-)

Lee
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS