Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 5903 Platter Issue and How to Lock Down

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

kfburrows
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
kfburrows Posted: Sun, May 3 2015 5:13 AM

I have an old 5903 I pulled out of storage this weekend.  It worked perfectly when I last used it many years ago, but now when the platter spins, it sounds like it is dragging on the base in some spots.  The platter isn't warped, so I have verified that.  I think the height of the platter needs to be raised (but not sure why it would have lowered sitting in storage).  I found a service manual and there are three sets of two screws that adjust the platter height and center it.  I'm not sure which way to turn the screws.  Neither way seems to make any difference at all.  It also may not be the platter.  I haven't fooled with turntables in 25 years, so I'm not how to start to tackle this issue.  I am fixing this up for my 8 and 10 year-old kids since they don't know what a turntable and records are!  I was going to pull out all my albums from 30+ years ago!

I also can't find where to lock down the turntable for transportation.  It may be I locked it down those many years ago and have forgotten to loosen them.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 734
Bronze Member
Lee replied on Sun, May 3 2015 4:19 PM
The transportation screws are underneath the turntable.
kfburrows
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member

I haven't gotten any other responses since yours this summer.  Do you know how to troubleshoot the platter rubbing/scraping?

Thanks!

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 734
Bronze Member
Lee replied on Fri, Dec 4 2015 11:51 AM
Did you ensure the platter wasn't locked down in transport mode?

There are 3 screws accessible from the bottom to release the transport mounts.

If they are released and the platter bounces freely then remove the platter and see if the sub-platter (the part the belt goes around) is spinning without rubbing. If the sub platter is ok then you need to adjust the suspension height.

Do this by turning the outermost screw on each leaf Spring (there's 3 of them) clockwise to raise the height of the suspended chassis.

If you see stuck let me know and I'll see if I can help further

Lee

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS