Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Difference between Beolab 3 MK I and MK II

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member
Manbearpig Posted: Tue, May 5 2015 7:30 AM

Dear members,

I know, there has already been a thread about the Beolab 3 MK II, which, however, left me somewhat in doubt. So what are the differences between the Beolab 3 MK I and MK II? It was suspected that the MK II version has been "upgraded" because of cost cutting. Sound quality is supposed to be the same nevertheless. Is this the case? If so, are there any other differences in terms of quality or durability? Is MK I or MK II more desirable from your point of view? Any opinions much appreciated. Thanks!

Greetings,

Kai

PathElectronics
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member

My understanding is that the bass driver and passive radiators are different. I believe the EQ in the amp module was changed slightly to make them sound the same. It's a very slight difference indeed. 

MKI replacement amp module (at least the US version) has been discontinued, so I think if buying used, the MKII would be the way to go. 

Nathan 

PathElectronics
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member

My understanding is that the bass driver and passive radiators are different. I believe the EQ in the amp module was changed slightly to make them sound the same. It's a very slight difference indeed. 

MKI replacement amp module (at least the US version) has been discontinued, so I think if buying used, the MKII would be the way to go. 

Nathan 

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Tue, May 5 2015 11:02 PM

PathElectronics:

Nathan 

Is this the Path Electronics B&O authorized service technician in Arlington Heights? If so, I highly praise your work and recommend your services to other BeoWorlders! Welcome to BeoWorld!

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
How would you even know if you had a Mk1 or Mk2
vlohjr1
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 553
Bronze Member
vlohjr1 replied on Wed, May 6 2015 9:38 AM
Aussie Michael:

How would you even know if you had a Mk1 or Mk2

I think post 2008 is mkii
Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member

Type numbers inside the accoustic lens when removing the top or next to the sockets will let you know. I don't know from memory which type number represents which MK version. Thanks for the answers.

Greetings

Roger
Top 200 Contributor
Norway
Posts 417
Bronze Member
Roger replied on Thu, May 7 2015 9:37 AM

Nathan is spot on regarding the tech changes, and I think the bottom line is that mkI and II are the same when it comes to sound reproduction given that they have covered the same number of miles.

The bass and slave units were replaced as they went for different/new materials and improved the production. As stated above, some parts had to be replaced to maintain the sound quality and freq range. The units with these changes came with type no 6871-6877 and where introduced in September 2007.

Roger

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
I took the top off mine and the type is 6875 and no mention of the MK

Just says type, item, serial no and country of origin
Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member
Manbearpig replied on Mon, May 11 2015 11:00 AM

Looks like MK 2 then!

Chris Harrison
Top 200 Contributor
Peak District
Posts 381
Bronze Member

My speakers are 6892. - I'm guessing Mark 2?

Beosound 8, Beotime, Beocom 4, Beo 5, Lutron Rania, MacBook 15" (Mid 2015), iPad Pro, iPhone 6S, B&O Play H3, Beolit 12, Form 2, A8 Headphones, B&O Play A1, B&O Essence

pauljrog
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Bronze Member
pauljrog replied on Thu, Sep 30 2021 8:16 AM

Hi guys can anyone confirm if type 6892 is mk1 or 2. Thanks

Also is mk1 anymore unreliable? 

marexy
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 710
Bronze Member
marexy replied on Thu, Sep 30 2021 8:22 AM

I had MK1 and 2.

Sound is the same. Drivers are the same.

MK1 have some issues with power supply and amplifoer pcb that fails more often. 

On the outside is totaly the same...you can check difference by type No. 

marexy
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 710
Bronze Member
marexy replied on Thu, Sep 30 2021 8:24 AM

6892...MK1

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS