Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

WISA and Beolabs

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 1 Follower

davelarue
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 98
Bronze Member
davelarue Posted: Thu, May 7 2015 6:23 PM

Hi guys,

I'v got beolab 9's. How can i get WISA? Is there an external gadget i can connect, like the playmaker?

How do i stream from my Apple products?Big Smile

Thanx,

Dave

Amazone
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 187
Bronze Member
Amazone replied on Thu, May 7 2015 9:11 PM

beolab receiver 1 and beolab transmitter 1

BeoVision 11-55, BeoLab 8000, BeoRemote One BT, AppleTV 4, 2x BeoPlay A2, BeoPlay A1

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, May 8 2015 5:23 AM

And f you want to stream an Essence, one transmitter, and two receivers.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

^^ as above

Each Lab 9 connects to a Wireless Receiver 1 which is a little black box and i mean it is little.

I have 2 Lab 3s which are each connected to a Wireless Receiver 1 

They are faultless and reliable.

Mine are connected to the Avant (WISA) and they are great.  If you didn't have a master like an Avant you would require a Wireless Transmitter 1

davelarue
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 98
Bronze Member

I'm still confused. Tiny recievers which can recieve wisa audio and plug into beolabs, i understand. 

But, why is anything else needed? I want to stream reliably from my laptop/phone, through the wireless router, to my speakers. Why is any other hardware needed?

my network should just recognize the recievers and you select them. I am a big fan of as little hardware as possible!

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Jun 1 2015 2:46 PM

The receivers and transmitter are only for WISA, not AirPlay or DLNA, you need a separate box to do that, either a used Playmaker or an Essence. The routing is streaming from phone via router to the Playmaker/Essence, then wired to the transmitter, than WISA wireless to the two receivers, then cable to the speakers.

You could also replace the Playmaker/Essence with an AirportExpress from Apple, but it's internal DAC/analog stages are pretty crappy and don't sound nearly as good as the PM/Essence.

Jeff

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
davelarue:

I'm still confused. Tiny recievers which can recieve wisa audio and plug into beolabs, i understand.

But, why is anything else needed? I want to stream reliably from my laptop/phone, through the wireless router, to my speakers. Why is any other hardware needed?

my network should just recognize the recievers and you select them. I am a big fan of as little hardware as possible!

Hi Big Smile you asked about wisa

If you just want to stream from your iPhone to beolabs then you need a playmaker or the device which came after called essence

In that case you don't need wireless transmitter 1s as these are to make non wisa speakers wisa compliant

Wisa is a different technology to AirPlay which the playmaker and essence use.

If you want both you would buy wisa speakers such as BL17, 18, 20 and connect them to either a playmaker or an essence.
davelarue
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 98
Bronze Member
davelarue replied on Tue, Jun 2 2015 10:51 AM

Well, my playmaker is painfully unreliable, since it is 2,4ghz and i live in an appartment with lots of wifi signals everywhere.

I was hoping this new Wisa would solve this, but seems not. Ideally, i would need only recivers on both my speakers to make them wireless, and then my existing hardware and software (wifi router, laptop, phone) would do the rest. Then i would get alot of goodies in one go:

- Less wires

- Less hardware which clutters my living room

- More reliable streaming

A compromise would be to include airplay streaming in transmitter 1. But, i find it expensive to pay $700 + reciver-costs to be able to stream music to my speakers...

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Have you tried to test for reliability:

> software update of your PM, or

> running it via ethernet from your router ?

I understand what you are saying.  I'm also a believer in no more boxes too.  That's why years ago when the BV 10 didn't have enough HDMI i said its not a product for me - they tried to sell me a HDMI matrix so i could get an extra HDMI port - no thanks ,,, don't want any extra boxes. 

Just some thoughts 

davelarue
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 98
Bronze Member

Thanks.

Playmaker: Yes, tried via ethernet, but didn't help. The wifirouter was a new tri-band. The firmware is the most recent.

I came to the conclusion that skipping is due to the 2,4 ghz band being cluttered. Basically, i paid a lot of money for a product which is unreliable by nature...but there is no other way of getting airplay to my $10000 speakers, so no choice but to listen to music with skipping!

Really like the concept of wireless speakers though. Too bad B&O don't fulfill my (very basic?) use cases.

Sorry for all the rambling. But...a bit disappointed.

Amazone
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 187
Bronze Member
Amazone replied on Tue, Jun 2 2015 2:05 PM

Reading the posts above I don't think Wisa is the solution here. I had the same issues with the Playmaker and discarded it. Now stream via ATV and airplay is perfect.

In your case, maybe an Essence or the Moment is the perfect solution? If not a SONOS Connect might be. That has perfect wireless connectivity.

BeoVision 11-55, BeoLab 8000, BeoRemote One BT, AppleTV 4, 2x BeoPlay A2, BeoPlay A1

davelarue
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 98
Bronze Member

Hm, yeah.

Well, basically what i want is wireless speakers (recievers) and thats it. Everything else should be handled by the existing hardware. I would use the laptop/phone to direct the sound to whatever speaker i want...

Maybe i'm asking for too much....:D

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Jun 2 2015 4:28 PM

You could get something like a Sonos Connect, run it's analog outputs to the B&O transmitter, and then get the wireless receivers. I think this would be the minimum amount of hardware to allow streaming from multiple sources (Phone, PC, etc.). What you want/need is sadly not out there, at least as far as high quality systems go.

Jeff

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Sorry - I don't really see a problem here.

The WiSA technology is used for connecting a source and a set of speakers wirelessly.

This way you can avoid to run the (PowerLink-)cables.

In the above case you would need a Transmitter 1 and (for the BL9's) two Receiver 1's.

As Dave wants to keep his existing hardware, he only has to connect the PL-outs of the Playmaker to the PL-ins of the Transmitter 1.

If there are problems with Playmaker/WiFi, he will have to run a LAN cable from the router to it.

If - as Dave noted - there still are issues with WiFi and dropouts, it has nothing to do with the Playmaker (since it is cabled).

An iDevice (of course) has to use WiFi. If this does not work well, the settings of the wireless access point (of the router) will have to be reconfigured.

In a setup like this, you would need no 'extra hardware' and you would - as wished for - be able to AirPlay to the Playmaker. The sound from the Playmaker would use the WiSA standart for the connection to the speakers.

WiSA is not a streaming technology, but a (clever and reliable) technology for transmitting high quality audio from a source device to one (or more) set(s) of B&O speakers.the WiSA standart, that B&O uses, can not be used for multiroom setups.

A relatively simple setup!

Note: in this case the volumen can be controlled directly on the Playmaker, on the iDevice/in the choosen app (with AirPlay activated) and with a B&O remote. And you can even change the sound settings as on any other B&O device, when needed.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 replied on Wed, Jun 3 2015 12:52 AM
Good description MM

I am agree with you Stick out tongue

Maybe the first and last time Big Smile
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

BeoBoy68:
Good description MM

I am agree with you Stick out tongue

Maybe the first and last time Big Smile

Seems to be the first time Embarrassed

But why should it be the last time Confused

MM

davelarue
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 98
Bronze Member

There is no 'problem' so to say. It is just general 'winding' and 'complaining' about the technology aspects. From a technology standpoint, i am arguing the concept of reciever and transmitter gadgets....

Take the airport express/playmaker: A gadget that acts as reciever and plug into active speakers. Then you simply choose the 'airport express' from your phone/laptop and thats it! There are no 'transmitters' needed in this setup!

B&O could do the same:

- Improve the receivers, so that the speakers become wireless, but with no transmitter needed. Still with WiSA technology. Laptop/phone should be able to find the speakers wherever they are in the house...and you simply select the one(s) needed.

- Also, why not create recievers that fit nicely into the beolab 9's? So, the only wire going out would be the power cord....

davelarue
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 98
Bronze Member

I guess what i am saying is that instead of a WiSA transmitter hardware...they should have made it work with a mediacenter and wifi

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

davelarue:

There is no 'problem' so to say. It is just general 'winding' and 'complaining' about the technology aspects. From a technology standpoint, i am arguing the concept of reciever and transmitter gadgets....

Take the airport express/playmaker: A gadget that acts as reciever and plug into active speakers. Then you simply choose the 'airport express' from your phone/laptop and thats it! There are no 'transmitters' needed in this setup!

B&O could do the same:

- Improve the receivers, so that the speakers become wireless, but with no transmitter needed. Still with WiSA technology. Laptop/phone should be able to find the speakers wherever they are in the house...and you simply select the one(s) needed.

- Also, why not create recievers that fit nicely into the beolab 9's? So, the only wire going out would be the power cord....

With the AirPort Express you still need a cable for the speakers...

---

B&O has done it!

Take the A9 - just airplay and you are done.

The Playmaker and the Essence acts like the APE - you need a cable.

You can use the Transmitter 1 or complain and maybe wait for a version of the Essence that has the WiSA trensmitter built in.

The Moment has the transmitter built in - no worries there.

But do tell me - when you are so picked about this - why did you go for the BL9's? 

Why not go for a set with the receiver already built in?

This way you would have eliminated at least one piece of additional hardware Stick out tongue

P.S. A BeoLab 9 with WiSA built in, is called the BL20 (There are more differences - but anyway, they are what you ask for).

P.P.S. A laptop with WiSA built in would not be bad - maybe we will see that after B&O and HP have started to cooperate.

But that would force you into changing from Apple/Mac to HP/Windows ;-(

-

If you really want to (air)play from your Apple laptop to any speaker, you will have to live with 'additional hardware'.

But would that really be a big issue - once installed, it would work, no need for big changes there.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

davelarue:

I guess what i am saying is that instead of a WiSA transmitter hardware...they should have made it work with a mediacenter and wifi

Just saw that post!

No problem for a Playmaker or an Essence or the A9.

That is called DLNA.

But that is not the first choice of those, who prefer iThingies.

WiSA don't care for what OS you prefer - it just transfers high quality audio.

MM

davelarue
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 98
Bronze Member

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback.

9's i bought long time ago, before 20's came out....

For WiSA to work from a laptop/phone...would this be extra hardware or are we talking mostly software? Could it be a plug-in which is installed in whatever OS...like airport utility? I guess I don't know enough about the WISA technology to have a reasonable argument here....

Also, it would be nice if the WISA receivers fit into the back casing of the older 9's...so the cover could be fitted.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Untill now all WiSA is hardware based.

But it would surely be possible to implement WiSA in a laptop - either via hardware (like in the newer B&O-tv's and the BS Moment) or via a software.

In that case you would need some kind of antenna to distribute the wireless signals, which are in a different range than the 'normal' wifi-signals.

It is a - rather small - 'all in one solution' by now.

I am not sure, but the Receiver 1's are pretty small -  they might fit into the back of the BL9's.

But you will need power/a power supply for them!

MM

Page 1 of 1 (22 items) | RSS