Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Help with Setting Up Old Beogram 1000 (Stylus Particularly)

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 1 Follower

amwbeow
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
amwbeow Posted: Tue, May 12 2015 8:35 PM

Hi folks,

We recently inherited an old Bang and Olufsen Beogram 1000 (5203 type) turntable. The plug's been stripped from the unit so we currently can't test whether it spins or not but I was wondering if, in the meantime, anyone could tell us what else we should look out for if we want to get it up and running?

In particular, I'm concerned about the stylus as it seems that the original is still in place and I don't want to wreck any discs if it's damaged. We're going to test it with a non-precious record once we get the unit spinning but, I can't work out online what I would need to replace it if it came to it.

Some websites say that the unit took SP 14A but Beophile seems to suggest that it was an SP 6/7 and the unit itself still has an SP 8/9 attached.

Basically, if we needed to replace the stylus, what would we need? Would we need a whole new cartridge? Or just a new stylus? If it's just the stylus, is that relatively easy to change (once we've tracked one down)? Can I put an SP6/7 stylus in an SP8/9 cartridge?

Many thanks for any help you folks can give.

All the best,
A.

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Tue, May 12 2015 8:38 PM

Hi there,

Welcome! Lovely deck this, I have one.

Both the cartridges you have mentioned will work with the 1000. Depends what the issue is with the Cartridge really as to what you needed to replace. 

It may still work so I would give it a try first of all!

An SP 8/9 Cartridge is a better cartridge than a 6/7 but either way they are all old now and may need replacing either way.

Any pictures would be great!

Ben

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Tue, May 12 2015 8:47 PM

The SP14 will work as well - it replaced the SP6/7. The SP10/12 is not suitable - all to do with compliance!!

The major issue with BG1000s is that the motors gum up and take an age to get up to speed. They can be serviced though. They lack the 'dance proof' suspension of the later decks.

Peter

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

I recently did my BG 1000 Look here it came with the SP 6/7 and that one is still working, I have a reconditioned SP14 from Axel as well as an original SP14 that still works. I ordered a new belt from Axel but it didnt fit, I dont know if there are different dimensions for the BG 1000, so I am still looking for a belt. I bought a belt for my BG 1202 from Axel and that one fits OK.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Tue, May 12 2015 9:15 PM

Of course, I did mean to say the SP14 will work as well!

Søren's post is very useful if you are planning to restore it! Is it an early 3 speed model with the silver platter (like Søren's or mine) or one of the later black models?

As Peter said, the motor will be your main issue most likely, other than that they are fairly reliable and also reasonably easy to repair.

Ben

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Tue, May 12 2015 9:15 PM

Edit: I meant to say early 4 speed model!

Ben

amwbeow
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
amwbeow replied on Wed, May 13 2015 9:43 AM

Thanks so much for the quick responses, folks! And hugely helpful ones too.

The unit looks to be one of the newer, black, three speed models. On your advice, I'll keep an eye out for motor problems and will test the whole unit before worrying too much about the cartridge.

Just trying to get ahead of the game though, are there any tutorials on just replacing the needle in the cartridge, if the needle turns out to be old and worn? Currently not at home, but I'll get the best photos of the unit and cartridge as I can when I get back tonight.

Many thanks again.

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Wed, May 13 2015 11:41 AM

Remove the cartridge from the tonearm by gently jiggling it and pulling it forward at the same time.  It will come off and you will see the 4 pins on the back.  

The outer casing holds the needle (stylus) and that is held onto the cartridge body by a single, small screw on the underside.  Just loosen the screw a bit and slide the outer casing off.  It's magnetic of course so you will feel some pull or resistance.  Then replace the old outer casing/stylus with a new one and retighten the screw.  Gently replace the cartridge back onto the tonearm.

This shows a gold SP replacement stylus of mine:

Dave.

amwbeow
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
amwbeow replied on Wed, May 13 2015 2:20 PM

Ahh! Thanks, Dave. Your picture has finally allowed a penny to drop for me!

I see that it is possible to purchase just the needle (without casing), to make a bit of a saving, and we're on a bit of a budget, I'm afraid. Would this be worth doing at all? Is it easy to place a new needle in in an old can?

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Wed, May 13 2015 2:22 PM

Whilst we are on this subject, what is the difference between an SP14 and an SP14 A?

Ben

the_o_master
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 856
Bronze Member

Ben_S:

Whilst we are on this subject, what is the difference between an SP14 and an SP14 A?

Ben

If I am not wrong the difference is that the A version (10A/12A and 14A) were made for B&O tonearm (4 pin ending of the cartridge) and those without A were made for non B&O turntables / tonearms. The stylus, cantilever and the housing were the same, the only difference was the adapter for plugging it to the tonearm.

Before that the story was the same with SP1/2, SP6/7 and SP8/9. The SP1, SP6 and SP8 were for non B&O tonearms and SP2, SP7 and SP9 for B&O.

BR,
Theomaster

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Here from the user manual (available for silver and gold members) SP 9 is the better of the 3 types, the 75 micron is for 78 records

amwbeow
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
amwbeow replied on Sat, May 16 2015 3:01 PM

Hmm... Bad news. I've finally had the chance to put a new plug on the unit, but it doesn't seem to spin. Am I right in thinking that all I should have to do is plug it in, select a speed and move the tone-arm to the plate for it to start spinning? Because it doesn't. In fact, there's nothing to suggest that power is making it to the unit at all, other than a slight buzz when the speed selector is lightly pressed down.

Is it now time to admit defeat and take it to a professional?

Also, here are some photos of the unit and pick up, as requested. It looks to me as if the needle is slightly bent off center and discoloured (rust?). I imagine that means getting a new one, if we do ever get the thing up and running?

Thanks again for all your help, folks.

http://i.imgur.com/2HpTMft.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/I48Mv0S.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/emDgEmz.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/TYzLbD3.jpg 

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, May 16 2015 7:17 PM

The motor is probably seized up. You will have to check that.

If you are into DIY mechanics it is something you may be able to do.

Nice deck by the way! Have you got the dust cover?

Jacques

amwbeow
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
amwbeow replied on Sun, May 17 2015 10:42 AM

Thanks Jacques mate. Yes, we have the dust cover. It's a lovely thing and has a fair bit of sentimental value, which is why we'd like to persevere a little if we can.

Are there any online tutorials for sorting the sort of thing we're talking about? 

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sun, May 17 2015 11:20 AM

One of Søren's invaluable threads here:

http://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/thread/128665.aspx

Jacques

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

chartz:

One of Søren's invaluable threads here:

http://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/thread/128665.aspx

Your deck is the later 3 speed variant, and there may be some differences from my model, but if you are handy with small tools and can read a manual its a simple deck to service, and you will need that, just from your pictures I can see that the tonearm pivot is way out of adjustment. If you start servicing the deck we are here to help, but get a manual and READ it, and read my thread it will give you an idea of what is needed, I am still looking for a belt for my deck, the one I bought from Axel does not fit. Too short.

If you take your lovely looking BG apart, do me a favor and measure the belt length and diameter, I can then check if the one I have from Axel will fit yours.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sun, May 17 2015 7:40 PM
This is mine.

And yours.

As Soren says, the arm looks totally out of alignment.

You should really post your pictures directly here!

Jacques

amwbeow
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
amwbeow replied on Mon, May 18 2015 7:41 PM

Marvellous. We may well have a go at opening it up but, on your advice, certainly wouldn't do so without reading up first.

Right, it probably won't be before this weekend that I get to do a bit of the necessary reading but I'll update this thread with any progress we make. In the meantime, thanks so much again for your patient and helpful answers folks. All the very best.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS