Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beocord 9000 drive assembly

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 0 Followers

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member
krais Posted: Sat, May 16 2015 4:17 PM

Just took apart the drive assembly of a second hand Beocord 9000 to replace the idle wheel rubbers. I noticed that one of the springs connected to the brake pads seem to be mounted differently compared to a photo from another repair thread. See pic. 

Can anyone confirm the correct spring mounting position? Thanks.

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member

Compare with this pic from sonavor

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Sat, May 16 2015 11:34 PM

Sorry about the confusion.  My Beocord 9000 thread has a number of Beocord 8004 pictures mixed in with it. I should have put titles on my pictures like I am doing on my Beogram 400x thread to clearly identify what type of unit the picture goes with. I'll go back and update the pictures with titles later. I will mention though, on the right side pressure pads that are referenced in that Beocord 8004 picture, there is another spring for the top pad that cannot be seen in the picture.

-sonavor

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member
krais replied on Sun, May 17 2015 8:44 AM

Hi sonavor, no need to apologize at all, your thread has been very helpful. I thought the drive mechanisms were identical for the 8000-9000 range, which is why I wanted to double check.

I noticed later that in one of the other pics for the 9000, the sping is in the same position as in my deck. So I guess everything is ok and I'll start reassembly.

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member

Hmm... so this repair is not as straightforward as I had hoped. 

A quick recap. Initially the Beocord 9000 that I bought second hand would not fast forward. Play and rewind were ok. 

The first thing I did was take apart the drive assembly. One of the arms within the drive unit was not moving freely so I cleaned and lubricated the axle. Furthermore, when checking the arm attached to the clutch assembly, I noticed that the outer tip looked like it had bent (see pic). After readjusting the tip and putting everything toghether fast forward was working again. However, it was quite slow, about half the speed of rewind.

I suspected an issue with the idle wheel rubbers so the second step was replacing these with new ones that I ordered from Martin. I recplaced the idle wheel rubbers, fixed the cracked clutch assembly that I discovered and cleaned and lubricated the moving parts I encountered along the way. I checked the belts (replaced by the previous owner) and the flywheel and clutch wheel were turning smoothly. 

After reassembly fast forward is working great.

But now a new problem has emerged: Play does not work anymore Sad When pressing Play, the head unit engages but retracts after a split second. 

I'm lost, does anybody have an explanation for this? 

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Sun, May 17 2015 8:55 PM

What does it do without a tape and when you manually press the cassette detection switch (so the Beocord thinks a tape is present)?  Will the Play operation work in that case?  I recall running into that situation a couple of times on my Beocord 8004 & 9000 repairs but it always turned out to be some mechanical adjustment I missed (or didn't have configured correctly).

-sonavor

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Sun, May 17 2015 9:12 PM

krais:
Furthermore, when checking the arm attached to the clutch assembly, I noticed that the outer tip looked like it had bent (see pic). After readjusting the tip and putting everything toghether fast forward was working again. However, it was quite slow, about half the speed of rewind.

The service manual rewind adjustment procedure mentions that arm "A" (with the bent piece) should have a clearance of 0.5mm - 1mm with arm "B" (the arm that "A" fits into and moves when rewind occurs).  That is why the arm "A" has the bend. Someone had made that adjustment in the past. Recheck that clearance distance to make sure it is still within the tolerance listed in the manual.  

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sun, May 17 2015 9:26 PM

krais:

But now a new problem has emerged: Play does not work anymore Sad When pressing Play, the head unit engages but retracts after a split second. 

I'm lost, does anybody have an explanation for this? 

Bad re-assembly?

Jacques

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member
krais replied on Sun, May 17 2015 9:36 PM

The same happens, the head unit retracts after a split second. 

Great feedback on the arm adjustment. I feel so stupid now ;-) However I cannot find that section in my downloaded service manual, are there different versions floating around?

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Sun, May 17 2015 9:53 PM

krais:

However I cannot find that section in my downloaded service manual, are there different versions floating around?

Yes, unfortunately, the Beoworld English version for the Beocord 9000 doesn't have those mechanical adjustments. The German version does. However, that adjustment is listed in the Beocord 8002 service manual in the Beoworld collection. I was fortunate to get an original hard copy of the Beocord 9000 service manual in English. The rewind and thrust roller mechanical adjustments in the Beocord 8002 service manual (section 5-1) are the same.  Double-check those thrust roller mechanical adjustments again. It sounds like your problem is likely mechanical since your Play operation was working earlier. Did you make sure all of those little brake pads and arms are back in correct position?

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member
krais replied on Sun, May 17 2015 10:00 PM

I was pretty methodical in storing parts and reassembling but I'll check again as well as the thrust roller mechanical adjustments and see if that helps. 

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, May 17 2015 10:33 PM

The one second it plays, does the right reel rotate ?

Martin

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member
krais replied on Mon, May 18 2015 8:55 AM

Nope, the right reel does not rotate.

I guess this points to a mechanical problem with the drive mechanism, right? A sensor detects that the reel is not rotating and the head bridge is automatically retracted.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, May 18 2015 5:57 PM

Most likely you got the felt pad brake on the wrong side of the black plastic flange of the right reel.
The felt pad arm will probably also be bent a little by now.

Martin

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

Dillen:

Most likely you got the felt pad brake on the wrong side of the black plastic flange of the right reel.
The felt pad arm will probably also be bent a little by now.

Martin

Yes, I was thinking the same thing as that has happened to me before. Here is a picture of the right reel brake pad in the correct position (on a Beocord 8004).

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member
krais replied on Mon, May 18 2015 7:27 PM

Hmm... yes I positioned the brake pad on the outside. I'll disassemble and check the damage.

Thanks for the pic, very helpful

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member
krais replied on Mon, May 18 2015 9:19 PM

Well, that was a nice little competence test that I failed...

Anyway, I rebent the brakepad carefully in a 90 degree angle. Do you think the structural integrity is compromized too much and the part should be reinforced or will it do?  

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, May 18 2015 10:02 PM

I think, it will be fine.

Martin

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member
krais replied on Tue, May 19 2015 8:13 PM

Everything put together, playing very nicely. Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

One remaining issue is that the motor does not do anything at times. Yesterday evening nothing happened when turning on the Beocord, this morning all was fine and the capstan was idling.  

To me this sounds like a bad contact somewhere. Any known problem areas that I should investigate first?

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS