Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Do any of you use a machine for cleaning vinyl?

rated by 0 users
This post has 27 Replies | 0 Followers

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member
Manbearpig Posted: Wed, Jul 1 2015 5:10 PM

Hello everybody,

do you use a machine for cleaning your vinyl? If so, which make do you use? Any experiences to share?

Thanks very much!

Cheers,

Kai

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Hi Kai,

This has already been discussed. When I'm at the PC I'll search for it (probably in the Beogram section). I use a manual rotary one which I'll send you a link for. It's cheap and works wonders.

Dave
Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member

It's this one but I only paid 45 EUR on eBay for mine:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spin-Clean-Record-Washer-MKII/dp/B008EBS9G4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1435770894&sr=8-5&keywords=vinyl+cleaner

The difference before and after cleaning is amazing - no pops, crackles etc so it does work really well.  You can make your own solutions too rather than the ones you can buy - it's cheaper and just as good.

Dave.

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 734
Bronze Member
Lee replied on Wed, Jul 1 2015 8:15 PM

I use the same one as Dave, it does the job but its far from perfect. The problem with it is all the contaminates from each record get added to the fluid in the disc cleaner so you have to change the fluid after half a dozen records (depending how clean they are could be more or less) and it uses a lot of fluid! 

If you can afford it get a vacuum record cleaner like a Moth or a DiscDoctor V, they use much less fluid and remove all the residue from the grooves properly.

Lee

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 734
Bronze Member
Lee replied on Wed, Jul 1 2015 8:20 PM

As for cleaning fluid I mix 4 parts distilled water to 1 part 99% isopropyl with a few drops of dishwasher rinse aid as a surfactant. 

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member

Lee:
I use the same one as Dave, it does the job but its far from perfect. The problem with it is all the contaminates from each record get added to the fluid in the disc cleaner so you have to change the fluid after half a dozen records (depending how clean they are could be more or less) and it uses a lot of fluid! 

A good filter paper removes those contaminants and you can re-use the fluid.  I've done dozens of records this way with no real loss of performance or sound quality.  You hardly waste any fluid that way  - even what drains during drying on the rack.  A good rinse with double deionised water helps too.

Dave.

Musikmann
Not Ranked
West Virginia, USA
Posts 9
Bronze Member

I have never used anything powered by electricity but have always wanted the one made by VPI or there is another one that I've forgotten the name of ($$$$).  I have no idea if either of those are still being manufactured.  I have always used a manual brush + fluid system called Discwasher (sp).

Dave

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
I use carpenter glue.

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Wed, Jul 1 2015 10:14 PM

I use a Record Doctor V.  Works great.  If you're going to listen to garage sale records, you need something like this.  It's amazing how well many records clean up (then again, it doesn't fix scratches).  A little pricey for essentially a small vacuum in box, but it does work well.  You really only have to clean your records once, then if you're careful, a simple carbon fiber brush is all you need before playing the next 10 to 20 times.

Stan.

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 734
Bronze Member
Lee replied on Wed, Jul 1 2015 10:47 PM

Dave Farr:

A good filter paper removes those contaminants and you can re-use the fluid.  I've done dozens of records this way with no real loss of performance or sound quality.  You hardly waste any fluid that way  - even what drains during drying on the rack.  A good rinse with double deionised water helps too.

Dave.

I've tried that Dave (using several different filter papers) and while it does get rid of a lot of the debris it doesn't remove all and none of the mould release agent that they use in the pressing plant... this just gets more and more concentrated the more you use it.

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 734
Bronze Member
Lee replied on Wed, Jul 1 2015 10:49 PM

Pro-ject are releasing a record cleaning machine early next year that will be very reasonably priced (around £200 IIRC)

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

As Dave I use the spin clean, with good results, I mix as Lee my own liquid, 1 part isopropyl alcohol, 5 parts distilled water, 2-3 drop of Kodak Photo Flo 200.

What nobody mention is that you will have to change your paper inner sleeves with these ones  the paper sleeves accumulate static electricity and dust.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Jul 2 2015 1:10 AM

Stan:

I use a Record Doctor V.  Works great.  If you're going to listen to garage sale records, you need something like this.  It's amazing how well many records clean up (then again, it doesn't fix scratches).  A little pricey for essentially a small vacuum in box, but it does work well.  You really only have to clean your records once, then if you're careful, a simple carbon fiber brush is all you need before playing the next 10 to 20 times.

Stan.

Same here, little machine is pricey for what little it is, but cheaper by far than some alternative vacuum machines, and it works well. And you do need to replace the inner sleeves with something good after you clean the album, if it's in good enough condition to warrant keeping.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Thu, Jul 2 2015 7:29 AM

I never clean my records. I've had quite a few since 1977 and they are still clean.

Just a carbon brush for a slight wipe over when dust catches my eye!

Jacques

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member

I never clean my records. I've had quite a few since 1977 and they are still clean.

Jacques

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member

Jacques

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member

chartz:

Jacques, if you put just one of your records in one of these machines, it will shock you with amount of 'stuff' that comes out of them.  Even brand new records should be cleaned as they always contain waste vinyl, release agents and other particulates from the manufacturing process.

It's also the dust and dirt you cannot see within the grooves that is the problem, not just surface dust.  If you see a scanning electron micrograph (which you can online somewhere) of grooves in brand new vinyl you'd be appalled atthe thought of what that could be doing to your stylus and music quality!

Dave.

kimchr
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 170
Bronze Member
kimchr replied on Thu, Jul 2 2015 8:59 AM

I recently got my hands on a Keith Monks Record Cleaning Machine (RCM). New in box - still i did not have time to try it out. This should be the Rolls Royce of RCMs so I look forward to have some fun with it. Anybody here who ever tried a Keith Monks? Maybe can share some tips?

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Thu, Jul 2 2015 10:07 AM

kimchr:

I recently got my hands on a Keith Monks Record Cleaning Machine (RCM). New in box - still i did not have time to try it out. This should be the Rolls Royce of RCMs so I look forward to have some fun with it. Anybody here who ever tried a Keith Monks? Maybe can share some tips?

3000 USD for a used one.  It was the first commercially (and supposedly best) vacuum record cleaning machine.  Their website has 2 good 'before' and 'after' pictures.

Dave.

kimchr
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 170
Bronze Member
kimchr replied on Thu, Jul 2 2015 10:51 AM

3000 USD is alot of money for a 30 year old machine... Maybe I should try and trade in my new one for a BV :-)

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Thu, Jul 2 2015 12:26 PM

kimchr:

3000 USD is alot of money for a 30 year old machine... Maybe I should try and trade in my new one for a BV :-)

Yes, the first versions are considered a collectors item for vinyl purists.

Dave.

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Thu, Jul 2 2015 5:08 PM
I've been tinkering with getting a cleaning machine but the price has always put it at the bottom of my boys toys shopping list... the thought has crossed my mind to charge out a small fee to my friends to try and recoup some of the costs and make the price tag more palatable...

great thread guys...

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member

I actually own a Keith Monks too, which I haven' tried yet. I have the KMAL MK 2 version from the early 90s. However, the hold for the brush is broken and has been glued. As a perfectionist, I have a hard time seeing this on an otherwise well-kept machine. Therefore, I've contacted Keith Monks and the German dealer who sells their parts. But prices are beyond ridiculous. Almost 600 Euros for a small plastic replacement part is something that I can't justify spending. Therefore, my machine currently stands idle in the basement of my apartment. They do spread charme, though.

How did you manage to get a new one? Most are heavily used since prices were always very high and people or institutions spending that amount of money were at least intending to clean a lot of vinyl on it. Although the mechanics are pretty robust, there are a lot of things on these machines that can easily break like the perspex lid or its hinges and also the decor tends to degenerate over time. New ones are well above 4000 Euros nowadays and used ones in decent shape hard to get below 1500 Euros I'd say. A lot of money for a cleaning machine.

Greetings,

Kai

Doonesbury
Top 500 Contributor
Landisville, PA, USA
Posts 168
Bronze Member

As a serious record listener and restorer, I've found that 91% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and square cotton make-up pads work great.  Plus, you can see how much gunk is coming off of the records.  I've had some used records in which I had to go over them (6) times per side to get dirt off.  Needless to say, I clean all "new" records to my collection before playing them.

D

koning
Top 25 Contributor
holland
Posts 4,220
Bronze Member
koning replied on Sun, Jul 5 2015 1:48 PM

Okki nokki  445 euro' s

Peppe89
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
Peppe89 replied on Tue, Sep 24 2019 2:47 PM

If your collection is at all sizable, you would at least want to invest in a spinclean record cleaning system or check iRobot Roomba 650 vacuum cleaner. Anything less (besides a tedious handwash) will just push the dirt and debris into the grooves and into the path of your needle.

Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul
Posts 780
Bronze Member
I use Beolovers cleaner vinyl system. https://www.cleanervinyl.com

I’ve run a collection of mild covered albums through it with amazing effects.

I’ve enjoyed the results, new albums come with so much junk in them that my brush or towels can’t get out.
AdamS
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 373
Gold Member
AdamS replied on Wed, Sep 25 2019 12:38 PM

I have an early prototype Keith Monks Discovery One.

I wouldn't ever want to be without it again!

Page 1 of 1 (28 items) | RSS