Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Getting Beosystem 5500 components working

rated by 0 users
This post has 62 Replies | 2 Followers

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Mon, Jul 6 2015 2:49 PM
sonavor:

There are still a lot of little tricks to learn with the MCP but that is part of the fun.

They had me with programming any source to turn on as I walked through the door at the end of the work day.

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder

Dillen:

The power relay to the amplifier is usually fine. It handles a lot of current and burns off oxidation by itself (which alsoexplains the white/black deposits at the inside of the relay plastic housing - it's not a bad sign!)

Sorry, on this one I disagree with you.

Why not start with a fresh relay with clean contacts?

It's a matter of time that the corrosion/burned contacts, caused by the flame arch that comes with the current when the contacts open, will be covered fully with traces of a burned surface.

As I mentioned above. The sparks are caused during the moment that the contacts open. Not at closing/engaging.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Jul 7 2015 12:18 PM

Beobuddy:

Dillen:

The power relay to the amplifier is usually fine. It handles a lot of current and burns off oxidation by itself (which alsoexplains the white/black deposits at the inside of the relay plastic housing - it's not a bad sign!)

Sorry, on this one I disagree with you.

Why not start with a fresh relay with clean contacts?

It's a matter of time that the corrosion/burned contacts, caused by the flame arch that comes with the current when the contacts open, will be covered fully with traces of a burned surface.

As I mentioned above. The sparks are caused during the moment that the contacts open. Not at closing/engaging.

Yes, the arcing comes from breaking the current, but the relay will be fine and so will its contacts.
The deposits on the inside of the plastic housing (and around the contact points etc.) is not a problem.
A new relay will look the same after 6 months of daily use.

Note that the speaker relay doesn't burn off anything (when breaking), it's nice and clean inside - and always causing problems.
The power relay on the other hand, practically never fails.

Martin

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Mon, Jul 13 2015 12:47 AM

I have been using my BeoSystem 5500 for a week now and I am pleased with all of the components except the Beogram 5000.  The Beogram is exhibiting a noticeable variation in speed. I can hear the sound slow down and speed back up. Measuring the speed again with my digital tach I measured an upper limit speed of 133.9 RPM but a lower limit speed of 130.8 RPM.  I have a new belt from Martin installed in the Beogram so is the problem likely electrical?

-sonavor

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Jul 13 2015 6:37 AM

Most likely a problem with the speed setting trimmer, the motors internal electronics (capacitor) and/or lubrication.

Martin

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Mon, Jul 13 2015 6:57 AM

Dillen:

Most likely a problem with the speed setting trimmer, the motors internal electronics (capacitor) and/or lubrication.

Martin

Okay, I'll bring it back to the bench once the Beogram 8000 is done.
Is there not a stand alone Beogram 5000 service manual?  All I have been able to find is the combination service manual for the BG1800, BG5000 and BG2000. 

John

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

I opened the Beogram 5000 turntable back up. I think the variation in speed (Wow & Flutter) is due to some miss-tracking of the platter belt. When I examined the turntable rotation I discovered the belt does not stay vertically flat against the platter hub side. It looks like the platter should be a little bit lower or the motor pulley should be higher.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

The service manual states this regarding the platter height.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

It looks like the platter height is pretty much correct per the service manual yet the belt travel appears to show that the height is too high.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

So with the platter apparently adjusted to the correct height, I am getting the belt problem shown here. The belt doesn't hit the sub-platter side correctly. It should be flat against the sub-platter side, right?  I am not seeing any other adjustment other than the sub-platter height via the suspension.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Tue, Jul 21 2015 6:19 PM

That all looks very "RX 2" under there.  I've had to do that "bend with a screwdriver" adjustment on at least one RX 2.  Pain.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

Yes, the Beogram 5000 looks like it shares a service manual with the BG1800, 2000 and RX 2.  I think I have the thing adjusted now. The platter to deck surface looks good and Martin had me check the motor pulley. I was able to pull up on it so it raised a little and I can feel a spring action pull it back down. After doing that I retested the turntable rotating and it looks like the belt is staying on track now.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

If I remember right, my belt is running near the bottom of the under platter without the record platter attached. With the record platter attached the whole floating chassis goes down a couple of mm. and the belt will reach the correct track.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Tue, Jul 21 2015 9:11 PM

Søren Mexico:

If I remember right, my belt is running near the bottom of the under platter without the record platter attached. With the record platter attached the whole floating chassis goes down a couple of mm. and the belt will reach the correct track.

Okay, I'll put the turntable through some tests tonight and see if the speed flutter problem is fixed.

john

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

Søren Mexico:

You do remember right Søren.  After listening to the Beogram 5000 again I am not hearing the flutter in the speed anymore.  I pulled off the platter and I can see the belt travel is now raised a little so it isn't riding along the sub-platter lip.

John

Professor David A Flynn JP
Top 500 Contributor
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Posts 116
Bronze Member

Hello - looked at your array of 5500 system.  I have two complete 5500 systems that are in daily use.  I really prefer this system to the 6500 series as the sound from the 5500 equipment is much, much better.  I have a pair of Redline 60.2 speakers linked on one set and a pair of Penta (Passive) linked on the other - both sound terrific.  I have three 5500 Beocords, two linked to one 5500 system.  It is really good that the 5500 CD drawer comes out the right whereas the Becords open for cassette insertion on the left. Happy listening.Big Smile

Prof D (Belfast)

Professor David A Flynn JP LM

Big Smile

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

sonavor:

Here is the restored system so far. It looks nice on my SC60 cabinet and with a pair of RL140 speakers.

I recently acquired an Attyca 1 cabinet for my Beosystem 5500. It all goes together better than with the SC60 cabinet. I will move my SC60 to another room where I will use it with its intended system components - Beomaster 6000, Beocord 8004 (or maybe a 9000) and a Beogram 8002.

Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul
Posts 780
Bronze Member
Looks super cool. How hard was it to find the RL curly cables?
sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Sun, Sep 4 2016 3:02 AM

I lucked into the RL cables actually. A couple of years ago there was an Ebay seller that advertised a complete 4500 system with two RL60.2 speakers. The price was really low so I bought it. When the boxes arrived, to my surprise, there were the cables. They hadn't been mentioned or displayed in the advertisement. Sometimes things just fall into place Smile. Naturally I was overjoyed with the windfall.

hugosnel
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member
hugosnel replied on Mon, Jan 13 2020 5:07 PM

Hello,

Can you explain which parts you renewed please?

TIA

Hugo

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Mon, Jan 13 2020 6:20 PM

Sure....although I didn't make a list.

On the Beomaster 5500 I went through and replaced all of the electrolytic capacitors with new ones. I restore quite a few B&O components so I already had most of the replacement capacitors already. When I don't have the correct replacement value I look up a new one and typically order one from Mouser, Newark or Digikey.  I always try Mouser first because they are located pretty near me so I can get the parts very quickly. 

When changing the electrolytic type capacitors I match the capacitance value and the voltage rating.

On the Beocord 5500 I only replaced the belts with new ones from Martin.

On the Beogram CD 5500 I replaced just the belt at first.  Later the CD 5500 started having a problem with its power supply and would suddenly shut off.
I replaced the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply circuit and it has been working great ever since.

Hope that helps,

-sonavor

hugosnel
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member
hugosnel replied on Tue, Jan 14 2020 8:47 AM

Sure it helps!

I just dove in deep and can use all relevant info.

I have the same setup except for the CD.

It is still not vey clear to me if there is a big difference between the CD 50 that I have here and the 5500 :-)

The Beomaster is working , I am sure that recapping it will be the rewarding thing to finish up the project.

What difference did it make when you did yours?

The Beocord is waiting its upgrade kit to be recapped , I found a complete cérat set at Audio High Store. I will order the belts as well.  Is Martin the best placed for that?

If things turn out as I hope I will be doing the Beogram soon as well.

Beo greetings,

Hugo

hugosnel
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member
hugosnel replied on Tue, Apr 28 2020 12:27 PM

Hello,

Do you have an idea for the question I posed:

https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/42070.aspx

Thanks !

Page 2 of 2 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS