Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Lutron RadioRa 2 to support Apple Homekit

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff Posted: Tue, Jul 7 2015 12:57 AM

I just spoke with some at Lutron today who confirmed that Lutron's RadioRa 2 and HomeWorks QS will be a part of Apple HomeKit. He said that they are currently testing ways that we can use Siri to speak commands into our Apple Watch to control lighting and devices. This is great news because even if B&O does not participate in Apple HomeKit with the BLGW, we can still utilize the Lutron triggers with the MLGW/BLGW to achieve just about anything we would want through Siri.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
That is good news.

This article contains HomeKit examples of how one can "talk to" Siri ...

http://9to5mac.com/2015/06/25/apple-homekit-siri-commands/

BeoNut since '75

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Tue, Jul 7 2015 12:22 PM

Philips Hue has also confirmed that it will work with HomeKit. It would seem logical that B&O would take advantage of HomeKit as well. Yet, even if B&O doesn't, we could use the phantom buttons of Lutron to build macros. This looks to be an exciting evolution of home automation.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Tue, Jul 7 2015 12:34 PM

I came across this article indicating that Apple plans to restrict the control of non-HomeKit systems that are bridged:

http://9to5mac.com/2015/01/22/apple-details-homekit-compatibility-with-competing-home-automation-platforms/

I wonder how this would affect the B&O gateway. The B&O gateway does a beautiful job of bridging systems by detecting triggers to activate macros.

Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member

beojeff:

I came across this article indicating that Apple plans to restrict the control of non-HomeKit systems that are bridged:

http://9to5mac.com/2015/01/22/apple-details-homekit-compatibility-with-competing-home-automation-platforms/

I wonder how this would affect the B&O gateway. The B&O gateway does a beautiful job of bridging systems by detecting triggers to activate macros.

Did you find any more about this recently mate?

BeoVision Eclipse 55”, Beolab 18s, Beolab 19s, Beosound 1, Beoplay P2, H3, BeoRemote One IR, BeoRemote One BT, Beoplay S8, Beosound Essence MkII, BeoTime

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Tue, Mar 29 2016 12:26 AM

Chris Hassell:

beojeff:

Did you find any more about this recently mate?

I have. Lutron has announced a new "bridge" that enables geofencing and other features to the RadioRa 2 system. This is a product to be used in addition to the existing Main Repeater and not a replacement for it. This seems very similar to the Caseta Apple Homekit-enable bridge. However, it does not yet state that it supports Apple Homekit. I called Lutron and they told me that Homekit is expected to be enabled in this bridge in the future. However, they still don't know when this will happen. My experience with Homekit and Philips Hue has been disappointing. Homekit has a lot of restrictions and bugs right now. I doubt that Homekit will ever be supported by the BLGW -- and for good reason. One of the restrictions of Homekit is that you can't use a Homekit-capable product to trigger events on a non-Homekit product. This runs counter to so many benefits of the BLGW. Something great about the BLGW is that it can be used to bridge so many different systems into seamless integration.

Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member

beojeff:

I have. Lutron has announced a new "bridge" that enables geofencing and other features to the RadioRa 2 system. This is a product to be used in addition to the existing Main Repeater and not a replacement for it. This seems very similar to the Caseta Apple Homekit-enable bridge. However, it does not yet state that it supports Apple Homekit. I called Lutron and they told me that Homekit is expected to be enabled in this bridge in the future. However, they still don't know when this will happen. My experience with Homekit and Philips Hue has been disappointing. Homekit has a lot of restrictions and bugs right now. I doubt that Homekit will ever be supported by the BLGW -- and for good reason. One of the restrictions of Homekit is that you can't use a Homekit-capable product to trigger events on a non-Homekit product. This runs counter to so many benefits of the BLGW. Something great about the BLGW is that it can be used to bridge so many different systems into seamless integration.

I am generally an Apple fan but to be honest when you see how exciting an open world can be with something like the BLGW and various systems it can be annoying that HomeKit doesn't seem like it will play! I don't mind Siri but she still doesn't listen correctly sometimes 😜

BeoVision Eclipse 55”, Beolab 18s, Beolab 19s, Beosound 1, Beoplay P2, H3, BeoRemote One IR, BeoRemote One BT, Beoplay S8, Beosound Essence MkII, BeoTime

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Tue, Mar 29 2016 12:38 AM

Chris Hassell:

beojeff:

I am generally an Apple fan but to be honest when you see how exciting an open world can be with something like the BLGW and various systems it can be annoying that HomeKit doesn't seem like it will play! I don't mind Siri but she still doesn't listen correctly sometimes 😜

I feel exactly the same way. I do like that Apple has the interest of protecting our security -- when IFTTT might be a little too loose when it comes to protecting our security. However, Homekit is rather rubbish right now. It currently has a rather low limit on how many events can be triggered and it treats Philips Hue bulbs each as separate events instead of treating a single Philips Hue Scene as an event. This is very inefficient and makes no sense. Since most of my Philips Hue Scenes have about 30 lights, none of my Scenes will work with Homekit unless I create new Scenes that have a smaller number of lights.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS