Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Projector

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
leosgonewild Posted: Sun, Jul 12 2015 2:47 PM
I am getting a projector for my setup.

I have been looking at the BrnQ W1070+.

Anyone tried this? I will be using it in my living room.

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Mon, Jul 13 2015 12:46 AM

I'm using the original Benq W1070 (not the plus) with a 92" screen and I'm very happy. It's a fantastic projector for the money and I have recommended it to others. I understand the plus version has a few extra lumens and better sound (not that any of us here are likely to want to use the inbuilt speaker in a projector!)

Mine is connected to the cinema output of my BV7-40 mk3 and I've also connected an hdmi cable direct from my Oppo BDP-93 bluray (which has two HDMI outputs) as that gives me the option of watching 3D movies whislt still passing audio to the BV7 (the BV7mk3 won't pass 3D video). That said, I'm not sure why I bothered with this given 3D video makes me feel nauseous!

There are brighter output projectors available but I find the W1070 more than adaquate with the blinds closed, and with some tweaking it seems capable of producing much more natural tones than some of the other projectors of a similar price. I also found the Benq much less prone to rainbow effect than the Optima I tried first.

Hope this helps.

Martin.

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
Thank you, Martin.

Now I have no doubt that I am making the right choice. It is my first projector ever, so it has been some reading and things to try to understand.

How does the cinema output function?

My BV7 is an mk2, so it will only output 720p. (?)

So I am planning on using a hdmi-splitter combined with a Beo5 with some macros to get picture mute when starting the projector.

The w1070 is 100-150 euros cheaper than the w1070+. I am not going to use the wireless function.

Would you say I should get the cheaper one, or is the + a bit more future proof?

BeoMotion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
BeoMotion replied on Mon, Jul 13 2015 8:17 AM

leosgonewild:
My BV7 is an mk2, so it will only output 720p. (?)

No, sorry. Your MK2 will only output SD quality on the VGA connector. The DVI input will not be passed to the VGA output at all.
You could try a HDMI splitter to connect the external sources to both the TV and the projector.

If controlling the projector via PUC you only have to press "FORMAT" + "0" to start the cinema function. This will switch on the projector and mute the TV picture automatically. 

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Mon, Jul 13 2015 9:34 PM

leosgonewild:
How does the cinema output function?

I've just been looking at the guide and service manual for the mk2 as I wasn't overly familiar with this model. The manuals seem to suggest that the cinema control module is optional - others here may be able to confirm whether this tended to be installed by default or not in the BV7mk2 (this may vary by region). The cinema control output has two open collector outputs that switch when the TV enters cinema mode (FORMAT 0) and these can be used to trigger motorised screens, blinds, etc.

On my mk3 I have connected these to an arduino and use this to send on/off commands via rs232 to the projector as well as to trigger relays to lower my projector lift and screen. I'm intending to add motorised blinds in the room in due course as well. A similar setup could be achieved with the lintronic box but programming an arduino for this was a much cheaper option for me.

There is no PUC support for any Benq proector (at least when I last checked) and PUC support for projectors in general seems to be limited to a very small number of projector models. That said, if you're creating macros on the Beo5 none of this is likely to be needed as you could simply send an IR command to turn on the projector at the same time as selecting FORMAT 0.

leosgonewild:
The w1070 is 100-150 euros cheaper than the w1070+. I am not going to use the wireless function.

Would you say I should get the cheaper one, or is the + a bit more future proof?

There doesn't seem to be much difference to choose between the two. On paper the + is quieter but some reviews seem to indicate the opposite (which would fit with the slightly increased lamp output, ie more lamp output = more heat). I don't have any experience of the plus to compare but I'm more than happy with my non plus model. The plus model adds some horizontal keystone adjustment but this is at the expense of pixels so it's always much better to mount the projector properly centralised to the screen in the first place and avoid having to make any keystone adjustments.

One other thing worth mentioning, if your projector screen drops down in front of the BV7, you'll want to add an external IR eye to the TV so that you can still use your remote.

Martin.

Doonesbury
Top 500 Contributor
Landisville, PA, USA
Posts 168
Bronze Member
Doonesbury replied on Thu, Jul 16 2015 12:30 AM

leosgonewild:
I am getting a projector for my setup.

I have been looking at the BrnQ W1070+.

Anyone tried this? I will be using it in my living room.

One other thing to consider is the screen, and not only the dimensions.  Other things to consider are the screen "gain" (how reflective it is) and if it is acoustically transparent.  The latter allows the speaker (especially the center) to be located behind the screen thus allowing the voices to appear to come "from" the screen rather than below it.

I have seen that some screens have the ability to "reject" off-axis light such as that from a nearby light or window.

My video setup is very low key, but it is my first one.  I will definitely look into an acoustically transparent screen when I upgrade to a new projector.

D

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
Thanks for the input Smile I decided to wait a while before purchasing. Nice to have all this info in the back of my head while window-shopping Smile

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS