Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beosound 5 stand-by issue

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 7 Followers

WDPE
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Bronze Member
WDPE Posted: Sat, Jul 25 2015 9:26 AM

Hi,

I've owned my Beosound 5 for over a year, and have been randomly getting problems with switching it on. When in standby, I use the remote to turn the BS5 on, it will activate the speakers, but the BS5 itself will stay in stand-by. Pressing the button on the remote a second time, activates the BS5 as wel. You can change the volume with the remote, but it's not correctly shown on the BS5. The volume dial on the BS5 does not work. 

This issue randomly happens.. and goes away, after hours/days/weeks. The local B&O dealer doesn't know how to fix it, and it's very difficult to get a technician to come have a look at it: the last time, by the time the technician got here, the problem was gone. I've tried rebuilding the database and manualy updating the software. Soft and hard reboots make the problem disappear, but it's not a fix, since it will happen again later.

Has anyone encountered this too, and knows the fix? Because it's a difficult issue to describe, I have made a short video on Youtube to illustrate: https://youtu.be/B3kU0SvXN_E

Format: ???
Duration: --:--

musicman123
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member

I don't know if you've already solved your stand-by issue with your beosound5, but in case you haven't, I might have the solution.

I think your beosound5 might be set to "option 0". Change this to "option 1" and I think everything should work correctly again.

Regards,

Musicman123 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

In Option 0 it should not react at all!

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

WDPE
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Bronze Member
WDPE replied on Sat, Aug 29 2015 9:29 AM

Thank you for your suggestion! It is set te AM option 1, so it was already configuered correctly.

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Sat, Aug 29 2015 10:32 AM

It seems some kind of "normal"... sadly,  with the Beosound 5!
I own the Beosound 5 for about 5 years now and it's the most unreliable equipment I've bought from B&O.

In my setup it's configured as slave. I have to press "N.Music" or "N.Radio" often a few times before the Beosound 5 decides to start up or playing. It had got a new motherboard two years ago but it didn't change the unreliable behaviour of that unit.

I'm sorry to say that, but other companies do not deliver such unreliable and embarassing equipment in this price range!
Looks nice, feels nice but operates like typical China garbage. And now that the Moment is on the market, I'll guess there will be no more support for it.

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
Posts 543
Bronze Member
TWG:

It seems some kind of "normal"... sadly, with the Beosound 5! I own the Beosound 5 for about 5 years now and it's the most unreliable equipment I've bought from B&O. In my setup it's configured as slave. I have to press "N.Music" or "N.Radio" often a few times before the Beosound 5 decides to start up or playing. It had got a new motherboard two years ago but it didn't change the unreliable behaviour of that unit. I'm sorry to say that, but other companies do not deliver such unreliable and embarassing equipment in this price range! Looks nice, feels nice but operates like typical China garbage. And now that the Moment is on the market, I'll guess there will be no more support for it.

Interesting. My BS5 has worked flawlessly as a slave, along with my BS9000, since the BS5 update that allowed this arrangement.

On occasion, even without using the BS5, ML will act erratically or lock up, necessitating an unplug of the BV9 master to get everything back to normal.

No biggie.

Barry

BeoMotion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
BeoMotion replied on Sat, Aug 29 2015 2:45 PM

Hi,

maybe you should ask your dealer to replace PCB51. This is the ML/PL interface board and I have already seen some that had similar volume control problems. After an exchange everything worked perfect again.

The BM5 can detect whether there are PL speakers connected or not. Maybe there is a problem on some boards which confuses the software and strange things happen...

Rasomi
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
Rasomi replied on Mon, Oct 8 2018 10:09 AM

I have exactly the same problem, is there a solution for it ?

marexy
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 710
Bronze Member
marexy replied on Fri, Mar 27 2020 8:10 PM

will use that topic as i have some issue with st-by on my BS5

What did i do and problem after that ..

so..

1. i change HDD to SSD  till there all ok..all working.

2. I reset BM5 ..and do the factory reset..do the software update..all ok

3. I did copy music from my computer using Beoconect to my BM5...all ok

after that BS5+BM is working ok..till it goes to ST-by in 3 minutes...and after that i can not bring it to life with remote or on BS5 keypad.

if i disconnect it from mains or push the switch on the back of the BM5 ..it powers on..and working ok ...till i switch it off with Beo 4 remote or by hand on the back of BS5 screen.

and...yes i connect to BM5 usb service sofware...no luck..still problem with st-by.

i have AM option to 1

any idea what can be wrong ?

beolion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 485
Bronze Member
beolion replied on Fri, Mar 27 2020 8:22 PM
I have media server enabled so that the system never goes into full standby. I had that from day one after the ssd upgrade and I have therefore never had issues.

I hope you can get it solved.
marexy
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 710
Bronze Member
marexy replied on Sat, Mar 28 2020 1:31 PM

Hmm.

It is interesting that if i have box opnen fan is spining oly when i turn on BM5 and stop after 1 minute.

As BM5 have no cpu tempereture monitoring , cpu is getting up to 70 degree celsius.

Working ok....when i turn off..

After 3 minute goes to st-by and that is it..no more turning on.

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Sun, Mar 29 2020 11:41 PM
I had the exact same error after upgrading to SSD with the Crucial MX500 SSD.

I tried during months , but nothing did help.

After changing the crucial with a Sandisk Ultra3D ssd all wake up problems were gone.
marexy
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 710
Bronze Member
marexy replied on Mon, Mar 30 2020 10:37 AM

Interesting

I have MX3000 ant till now i uprgaed 3 units of BM5 without any issue. And one with MX500.

Can try with Sandisk Ultra3D

Thanks for tip.

beolion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 485
Bronze Member
beolion replied on Mon, Mar 30 2020 7:14 PM
I am using this disk. 1TB Crucial MX300

There might be some information in this thread if you have not seen it.

https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/22109.aspx?
gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Mon, Mar 30 2020 7:18 PM
MX500 has a different controller, a newer one, checking the controler chip I found that the ULTRA 3D has the same controler as the old crucials.
marexy
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 710
Bronze Member
marexy replied on Mon, Apr 6 2020 6:37 PM

hmm..there is SW problem in B&O upgrade!

I connect  scary old 1TB HITACHI  HDD Ultrastar and it's not from B&O it's from my old desktop computer  did cloning . ... as a 100% clone of my original 500gb hitachi HDD from my BM5.

hej guys...it worked tip top 100% perfect . no problems at all with original old SW from BM5!! 

on-off , st-by no problems at all !!

for  one day..just for test..

next day i decide to do the last SW version upgrade ...no problem ..it has upgradet fine.

And now...again problem with st-by ..like in my former posts.. WTF...

SO..there is SW problem on B&O side!

Sjock601
Not Ranked
United States
Posts 43
Bronze Member

I agree.  Even now In 2020, I think the BeoSound 5 is still a very nice music system and could meet a majority of the needs of anyone interested in a very nice home music system.  Most of the issues with the BS5 have always been software problems which B&O just failed to address.  Even today software changes could potentially make it something very, very desirable.  I’d be willing to pay for upgrades if it actually improved how it functioned and worked.  I personally think it is styled and just feels much nicer than the Moment.  Significantly more revenue could have gain with the BS5 before it was just SUDDENLY DROPPED!  Wish I could understand B&O’s thought processes during that time?  Not sure they are wanting to be “cutting edge” anymore.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS