Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

MMC2 Cartridge Clean Up

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor Posted: Tue, Jul 28 2015 7:24 AM

Over the years I have acquired a good number of MMC2 cartridges. Most have come with acquisitions of Beogram 8002 turntables I have restored. I have seen my share of poorly packed turntables that resulted in cartridges (not removed for shipment) being damaged. Those are sad sights for sure. Sometimes, and recently actually, I have been lucky and received a Beogram with an unexpected bonus...an intact MMC2 cartridge. This cartridge was not advertised as part of the purchase but was included anyway. The seller did an excellent job of packing the turntable. I had sent him instructions on how to lock down the chassis and secure the platter. I also had him secure the tonearm from moving but I had no idea there was a cartridge attached...let alone an MMC2.

When I got the turntable I was surprised to find this cartridge but was a little leery of its future based on its looks.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

With the cartridge mounted to an MMC storage case I went to work on the dirt and grime using slivers of Magic Eraser. I was careful to avoid the stylus and cantilever as I just wanted to cleanup the surrounding dirt. I also used some Kimtech sheets with ammonia. 

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

The MMC2 looks pretty presentable after the clean up. The cartridge suspension looks really good and the cantilever is straight.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

Looking straight on I can see there is still some dirt in the channel the cantilever enters but that is the limit of my ability to clean. I think to do a thorough cleaning I would have to send the cartridge to Benny Amina, Soundsmith or Axel Schürholz. I don't know what they charge for a cleaning and checkup.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

I went ahead and did a quick play test with the cleaned up cartridge. It played through a side of a record without any noticeable problem. I'll have to bench test it later when I start in on the Beograms 8002 turntables I still have waiting restoration.

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Jul 28 2015 8:52 AM

You lucky thing!

The diamond isn't vertical in relation to the body.  It will be interesting to hear how it performs.  A proper test would show if this offset has much effect.  I hope the suspension is OK.

Dave.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS