Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

How To Pack And Ship A Beogram

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 0 Followers

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor Posted: Fri, Aug 14 2015 8:49 PM

With so many horror stories of ruined, perfectly good Beograms through poor packing I would like to suggest a thread where pictures of BAD and GOOD Beogram packing can be displayed. Maybe sellers could be directed to this thread before packing up the beograms and see how it should be done.

So please post your packing pictures...especially for those who have original shipping boxes for Beograms with the proper packing.

I will start off with a BAD example...and you can see where the motivation for this thread came from. I actually received a Beogram 5005 packed like this today. The shipper did one thing right, the platter was removed and wrapped separately so plus five points for that. The suspension was not locked down though so minus five points for that.  Leaving the cartridge on the tonearm along with the lame way of attempting to secure the tonearm earns a minus twenty points.

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Sat, Aug 15 2015 9:25 AM

When I received my BG3000 Thorens from Classic Audio, the packing, as ever, was superb.  Heavy platter at the bottom and well wrapped, the lid in a seperate padded box, TT itself well supported with foam, tape etc.  Not a mark on it or damage of any kind.

Unlike some of the horror stories I've also received!

Dave.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Mon, Aug 17 2015 7:05 AM

Thanks for the post Dave.  I will try to get some pictures of a Beogram 8002 with original shipping materials posted this week. I believe I have original shipping materials for the Beogram 4002 as well but I have to check my attic.

John

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Mon, Aug 17 2015 9:35 AM

Someone once explained to me that the B&O original packings were not necessarily suitable for use in the post. Large TV's were often palletised for individual delivery. Smaller items are very well packed, but the boxes are really designed for stacking on pallets for delivery to dealers and are not intended to be used individually in the post without further protection.

Graham

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Mon, Aug 17 2015 3:45 PM

vikinger:

Someone once explained to me that the B&O original packings were not necessarily suitable for use in the post. Large TV's were often palletised for individual delivery. Smaller items are very well packed, but the boxes are really designed for stacking on pallets for delivery to dealers and are not intended to be used individually in the post without further protection.

Graham

That could be the case.  I will post some pictures of the Beogram 8002 box later this week.  I recently used it when I purchased a Beosystem 6000 set, including the SC60 furniture. The whole set was shipped to me on a palette and I wanted to make sure the turntable was safe so I mailed the seller my Beogram 8002 shipping box.

If I were to ship just the Beogram 8002 turntable via USPS, FedEx or UPS, I would definitely double box the unit and put the original box inside an outer box.

One thing I would like to show pictures of on this thread are some pictures detailing the lockdown of the Beogram chassis, securing of the tonearm and removal of the platter. Those seem to be three steps that are often skipped by non-B&O people shipping turntables. They don't consider the amount of jostling during shipment or that the box will often be turned upside down (or on end) at some point.

John

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

I am fortunate to own a number of Beogram 8002 and 8000 turntables but I only have two original Bang & Olufsen shipping boxes for them. I guess a lot of people think they will never move so they don't keep the nice, original shipping boxes around. Or maybe the original owners are long past and a latter owner, with less invested in the turntable doesn't see a need.

Here is one of mine. As the picture shows, this one is quite well traveled. My original Beogram 8002 arrived new inside this box. The same box was used to send my Beogram to be repaired in the 90's (To Lubbock, Texas...a restorer named Beomuse).   I also used the box once to retrieve another Beogram 8002 from California where the owner didn't have a good box to ship with.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

The inner flap of the box has a nice diagram that shows how to properly pack the Beogram.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

Here is a Beogram 8002 ready to be packed away for shipping.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

The first step is to remove the turntable platter and secure it in the special Styrofoam holder, remove the phono cartridge and phono cable.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

With the platter removed, three screws secure the floating chassis. The screws are backed out of their normal position so the round, metal plate can slide into position for securing the chassis. Then the screw is tightened against the plate.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

This picture shows the three chassis screws in the shipping position.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

Even with the chassis secured, the tonearm assembly could move. I am missing my foam sleeve for the tonearm and detector arms so I made a replacement out of Styrofoam and tape.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

The turntable platter inside its foam holder is placed back onto the Beogram deck. One of the Styrofoam molds for the platter has a tab that fits inside the tonearm assembly channel (in the rear of the deck) to prevent the assembly from moving.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

The dust cover can now be closed and the turntable placed into a soft, foam bag for protection.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

The Styrofoam protective pieces are now added to the Beogram. This is extremely important. If these original pieces are not available, make some out of strong Styrofoam blocks. The corners of the unit are important to protect because that is where the shipping box will most likely hit if it is dropped.
Don't use foam peanuts in place of solid foam blocks here. The turntable will shift around in the loose peanuts if that is all that is securing the turntable from the box wall.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

The protected Beogram 8002 is placed into the shipping box and can be sealed up. That completed box should now be placed into a larger box (double boxed) for shipping via carriers like your postal company, UPS, DHL or FedEx. If precautions like this are taken, the turntable should arrive at its destination safely.

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Fri, Aug 21 2015 10:52 AM

Excellent post! I think the original boxes are massively useful as I recently found when I moved house. I have boxes for a few items (CX100s, Cona, BG4002, BM6000 etc.) and it really does help enormously. 

As for horror stories, this thread I posted recently of a 42VF arriving from Denmark was one of the worst I have seen. Most annoyingly, the dust cover is rare and was one of the major attractions of the unit in the first place.

http://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/15832/136621.aspx

Ben

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Thu, Dec 31 2015 3:04 PM

Wow! ...Without the original packing, this excellent video shows how to pack a Beogram 4000. The packing for a Beogram 4002 or 4004 would be very similar. 

-sonavor

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS