Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Evan's PentaLab 3's

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan Posted: Tue, Aug 18 2015 1:15 AM

Hello all,

While I procrastinate on my BeoMaster 5500 project I thought I would take the opportunity to start my BeoLab Penta repair project. These are simply too awesome to ignore. I need them in my life!

Things I need to fix:

• Left speaker does not go into standby (I'm already tired of manually switching it off via dedicated power strip)
  • 3D print new feet (1 has broken off its threaded stud)
  • Fix control panel mechanism (1 is broken)
  • Glue together broken speaker frets
  • Re-cloth frets
  • Re-cap amp and x-over (might as well)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'll add to the list as necessary.

Beo4 'til I die!

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Tue, Aug 18 2015 1:21 AM

First things first - the standby problem. When set to a PowerLink option (L or R) the speaker powers on the moment it touches wall power. It will not stand by when the audiomaster goes into standby. The other Penta works fine. Also, my BeoLab 5000's operate perfectly so I know I don't have an issue with my BM4500. I've read a few spots here and there where other members have experienced a similar problem but I can't find a definitive answer/fix/solution etc.

So, before I dive into this does anyone know what the cause of this problem might be?

As a side note, this amp is quite impressively constructed. The heat sink/casework is a single piece aluminum extrusion! Also, the control panel handily detaches at the top to hinge downward to reveal the... back of the PCB. Huh?

Beo4 'til I die!

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Wed, Aug 19 2015 1:29 AM

Behold BeoWorlders, a glimpse into the future of the next generation of B&O collectors and restorers. I'll be 3D printing a set of feet for my Pentas soon. Below is the G-code simulation

Beo4 'til I die!

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Evan:
Behold BeoWorlders, a glimpse into the future of the next generation of B&O collectors and restorers. I'll be 3D printing a set of feet for my Pentas soon. Below is the G-code simulation

I like the simulation, looks good and complicated, why not a pair of rubber feet from Amazon or felt pads from Homedepot Big Smile

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Wed, Aug 19 2015 3:32 AM

Søren Mexico:

Evan:

I like the simulation, looks good and complicated, why not a pair of rubber feet from Amazon or felt pads from Homedepot Big Smile

Laughing Yes, this is probably a bit overkill, but I designed and optimized the print in the time it takes to go to home depot and back... However, the print will take 1.5 hours!  The originals are hard plastic and are bolted on, so these are much closer to original.

Beo4 'til I die!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS