Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Sleep Number BeoIntegration failure

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff Posted: Tue, Sep 8 2015 10:07 PM

Last weekend, I purchased a Sleep Number bed. This is the bed that has a remote control to adjust the firmness of the mattress and can even adjust the temperature of the bed. All adjustments can be made for separate sides of the bed. While the salesperson was explaining to me how this bed would change my life and give me a much better night of sleep, I didn't care about a word he was saying. All I could think about was how I could integrate this with my MLGW in so many wonderful ways! I envisioned creating a macro that would link the bed control with the custom "Goodnight" button on my Lutron RadioRa 2 nightstand keypad. (Photos of this are in the Media Gallery of BeoWorld.) With a press of the "Goodnight" button, the lights would turn off, the BeoVision 10 in the bedroom would turn on (yes, I have the bad habit of watching tv in bed), and the mattress would adjust to my ideal firmness setting. Pressing the "Romance" button on the nightstand keypad would dim the lights, start the BeoSound 5 playing Josh Groban, and adjust the firmness of the mattress to allow for a little more "bounce." Upon pressing the "Morning" button on my Lutron RadioRa 2 nightstand keypad, the lights would turn on, (I'm still looking for that holy grail of a Miele coffee machine that can start brewing coffee), and the mattress would return to the full firmness setting (which is recommended by Sleep Number when one is not sleeping). I was even ready to pull out my Lintronic box to capture the Sleep Number IR codes to build an XML file to load onto my Beo6 for direct control from the Beo6.

Then, my dreams came crashing down. It seems that Sleep Number uses a proprietary RF signal that requires a 2-way handshake. As Captain Starbuck would no doubt yell on the Galactica, "Frak!"

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Sep 8 2015 10:40 PM

Frak indeed...there goes your dream of an automatically adjusted "frak" setting for your bed! Big Smile

I do have to say I'm in awe of your efforts to control everything via the gateway, I bow down to you for that! And your description of why you want to do the bed gave me a good chuckle, I do love a man who thinks outside the box! And I tend to not like proprietary code stuff, B&O is bad enough at that.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member

What you need to do is get a small programmable toy robot or build a LEGO Technic concoction to push the remote buttons according to commands from the gateway. Your original idea is just too good to lose. Big Smile 

--mika

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member

If you can aquire an additional remote for the bed, you might be able to cobble it together with an arduino or raspberry Pi (in turn interfacing that by ethernet or serial to the gateway) in order to achieve what you want to do - for example by replacing the buttons on the remote with connections to relays instead.

Not the most elegant of solutions, but it should be doable.

Kind Regards,

Martin.

stefan
Top 50 Contributor
200 miles from Struer
Posts 2,920
Bronze Member
stefan replied on Wed, Sep 9 2015 9:44 PM

....and the new Lintronic box LIN-433 supports RF (433 MHz) and MLGW via RS232.

Miele coffee machine supports Miele@home (but will this work with MLGW?...)

Stefan

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Wed, Sep 9 2015 9:49 PM

stefan:

....and the new Lintronic box LIN-433 supports RF (433 MHz) and MLGW via RS232.

Miele coffee machine supports Miele@home (but will this work with MLGW?...)

Stefan

B&O shows integrating Miele coffee machines. However, the ones that use Miele@home are not available in the U.S.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Wed, Sep 9 2015 9:53 PM

riverstyx:

If you can aquire an additional remote for the bed, you might be able to cobble it together with an arduino or raspberry Pi (in turn interfacing that by ethernet or serial to the gateway) in order to achieve what you want to do - for example by replacing the buttons on the remote with connections to relays instead.

Not the most elegant of solutions, but it should be doable.

Kind Regards,

Martin.

The two-way handshake issue reminds me of the BeoLink 5500 remote. The BeoLink 5500 is useless unless one has a B&O product with 2-way communication. This always seemed ridiculous of B&O not to allow a one-way communication option. I had often wondered if anyone had played around with finding a way to work around this -- such as with a Raspberry Pi.

stefan
Top 50 Contributor
200 miles from Struer
Posts 2,920
Bronze Member
stefan replied on Wed, Sep 9 2015 9:58 PM

I`ve watched that video - maybe it`s activated by a simple power switch?

We in Europe would use a KNX/EIB system or a Lintronic relay board for that....

Stefan

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Thu, Sep 10 2015 2:32 AM

stefan:

I`ve watched that video - maybe it`s activated by a simple power switch?

We in Europe would use a KNX/EIB system or a Lintronic relay board for that....

Stefan

Lutron RadioRa 2 has a great power switch module for only about $100 USD. The problem is that most technologically advanced products now do not operate from just a basic switch. Usually, upon reconnecting power from the switch, we need to press a button on the devise. I would doubt that the Miele coffee maker is as simple as just functioning on a switch. Hopefully, the Miele home automation protocol gives more control that can be integrated with the MLGW. I would love to hear about first-hand experiences from "across the pond" where this is available.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS