Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

New: BeoPlay Connection Hub

rated by 0 users
This post has 100 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 521
Bronze Member
1990 Posted: Thu, Sep 10 2015 5:23 PM

In my mailbox, and on the BeoPlay.com website: 

B&O PLAY is introducing a new interface connecting "most TV's" to the BeoPlay S8, enabling it to play music, and the sound of the TV.

Big question to me seems: does it feature MultiRoom? If so, all my problems are solved and I can finally pull the trigger on buying some new stuff :) And: pricing? Hopefully it's an Essence in another box, with optical-in.

"CONNECTION HUB

HASSLE-FREE CONNECTIVITY

The B&O PLAY Connection Hub allows you to hook up BeoPlay S8 to almost any TV and audio sources, using optical or analogue cables. 

No extra remotes are needed, as the Connection Hub learns the IR commands from your TV remote or any other remote. 

The Connection Hub handles up to 3 connections at a time, and automatically changes to the last audio source to play, so if you’re listening to music, and the TV is turned on, the sound of the TV will take over. It’s as easy as that!"

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Thu, Sep 10 2015 6:23 PM
Available in October.

Dave.
PK
Not Ranked
Posts 82
Bronze Member
PK replied on Thu, Sep 10 2015 6:27 PM

I don't think it is likely to have multiroom. But i think that you could hook it up to the essence and get multi room. 

The transmitter1 has a similar feature as the connection hub as you can control volume with your tv-remote if you buy the external IR-reciever. it also has line-in and optical in. So this i probably a trasmitter1 without WISA. 

But indeed a great product for all of us without B&O-TVs :)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 521
Bronze Member
1990 replied on Thu, Sep 10 2015 6:34 PM

Ok, now I get it. Re-reading it I get the sense that the Hub is included into the BeoPlay S8 from now on. But what would the third source be? Bluetooth?

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
France
Posts 646
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Thu, Sep 10 2015 6:42 PM

1990:

Ok, now I get it. Re-reading it I get the sense that the Hub is included into the BeoPlay S8 from now on. But what would the third source be? Bluetooth?

• From the Beoplay site (S8) : "TV Connection Hub is sold separately, and will be available from beginning of October"
Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Thu, Sep 10 2015 7:19 PM

benoit:

1990:

• From the Beoplay site (S8) : "TV Connection Hub is sold separately, and will be available from beginning of October"

I thought it said the hub was available separately, to update earlier S8 speakers. Implied they were included.

they are really getting the range together now. Very tempting.

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Thu, Sep 10 2015 7:50 PM

I just got the email this morning. Very very good device! B&O playing well with others! Huzzah! Great direction as others have stated.

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Thu, Sep 10 2015 8:18 PM

Sal:

I just got the email this morning. Very very good device! B&O playing well with others! Huzzah! Great direction as others have stated.

It's a shame that 20% Survey Voucher expired .

even the S3 looks good after all on the Beoplay site. You can wire up four of those.

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Fri, Sep 11 2015 8:14 AM

Will the new hub be "limited" to use with the S8 speakers or can you use it with other Beolab active speakers, too? THAT would be nice.

And does it work with B&O's own remotes, too or just 3rd party remotes from the other brands?

If it listens to Beo 4 commands and can control a LG or SONY TV it would be THE device to integrate Beoalab speakers with non B&O TVs!!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 521
Bronze Member
1990 replied on Mon, Sep 28 2015 12:59 PM

I think the connection is one-way (so Hub regulates the volume of the optical-in).

This is a close-up of the connection of the Hub. It looks to me there are three connections: one RJ45 for connection to a PL-out, TOSLINK-in and one 3,5mm Line-in? Plus the RJ45 to connect the S8. BeoPlay S8 - Connection Hub by beoplay, on Flickr

Can anyone confirm that the RJ45-connection is a PL-connection and thus can connect to all BeoLabs?

L1NO
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 250
Bronze Member
L1NO replied on Mon, Sep 28 2015 9:36 PM

There is a PL in and out. The markings match the PL connector and icons match the new icons match the latest (S3) beoplay products.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Still no user guide to find - anywhere!

Or am I missing something?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 521
Bronze Member
1990 replied on Mon, Sep 28 2015 10:54 PM

The new S8-user guide on BeoPlay.com features the Connection Hub. Still no confirmation from B&O (I sent them the same question on Facebook...).

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Tue, Sep 29 2015 6:07 AM

Let's hope it allows Beo 4,5,6 Beoremote one, Essence wheel control for the attached speakers!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 521
Bronze Member
1990 replied on Tue, Sep 29 2015 8:20 AM

TWG:

Let's hope it allows Beo 4,5,6 Beoremote one, Essence wheel control for the attached speakers!

Unfortunately not, it seems:

"The Connection Hub enables IR learning for three commands (volume up, volume down and mute) from a non-B&O TV remote control. The B&O TV remote control does not support IR learning for this Connection Hub."

There is however the possibility to set-up a source for fixed volume:

"Fix volume adjustment
Double press the muti button to disable local volume control. The indicator turns red for the source in this mode."

Full manual here: BeoPlay S8 Manual with Connection Hub

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Tue, Sep 29 2015 8:56 AM

That's sad... or maybe dumb:  I can't control a Bang & Olufsen product with a Bang & Olufsen remote.

The hub alone could have been a super simple solution for adding Beolab speakers to non-B&O-TVs!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Thanks!

That must be new - I did not find anything there recently.

It seems that you can use any BeoLab with it.

It can definitely not be used with any of the Beoremotes - that is not what it is aimed at.

What I don't understand is, why there is a PL-input (to be used) from a B&O tv?

If I have a B&O tv I would connect my sources directly to that (and thus don't need the hub!!??)

Still - perfect for a non-B&O tv and an audiodevice with optical output (and maybe a turntable).

MM

js
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 382
Bronze Member
js replied on Tue, Sep 29 2015 11:03 AM

Millemissen:

What I don't understand is, why there is a PL-input (to be used) from a B&O tv?

Maybe because the hub allows you to combine non-B&O and B&O sources with one single set of Beolab speakers:
- a non-B&O source connected with optical (e.g. a TV or another audio source with optical out)
- a non-B&O source connected with 3.5mm (e.g. a TV or another audio source without optical out)
- a B&O source connected with PL (e.g. a Beosound)

You use the non-B&O remotes for the non-B&O sources and the B&O remote for the B&O source. The hub switches to the last started source.

Just speculating, to be honest I don't know.

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Tue, Sep 29 2015 11:27 AM

When can we buy the audiohub seperately?

Maybe that's a good solution for the Beolab 7.x series and a Non B&O TV.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@js

But the BV's have digital and analog connections too!

In case of using the PL-in for a BeoSound (and not a BV) it makes sense - perhaps.....

...when you don't want to use an external DAC for your digital-output-device - and you need more than one A.Aux on the BS.

By the way - it will be interesting to see/hear, if there is any sound delay, when the hub converts the digital input from a (non-)B&O tv, before outputting it to the S8/BeoLabs?

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

TWG:

When can we buy the audiohub seperately?

Maybe that's a good solution for the Beolab 7.x series and a Non B&O TV.

That was part of my assumption, that it may work with any BeoLab!

MM

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Tue, Sep 29 2015 11:43 AM

Millemissen, your assumption let it shine in a more positive way... Big Smile

So, now I'm ready to buy this for my TV...

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Scenario (?):

Non-B&O tv - digital output to digital input/hub.

BS Essence (as fixed line-out) to the analog input/hub.

BL-output to any BL (maybe a BL7-x)

Control sound from tv with the tv-control.

Control the Essence with 'wheely'/BeoMusic-app.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

...and you would have a free A.Aux-input on the Essence (for a turntable...).

How about a nice A6/A9 somewhere else in the house linked to the Essence,

M😻M

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

!!! I must correct myself !!!

In the above scenario (?) I wrote ....'Essence as fixed line-out'.

This is not right - the Essence should NOT be fixed line-out, otherweise we would not be able to control the volumen of it!

Disclaimer! I did not test this scenario, hence the (?) behind scenario.

But I surely would want to, if I had the component at hand.

It is meant as an inspiration to play, to experiment :-)

MM

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 521
Bronze Member
1990 replied on Tue, Sep 29 2015 2:16 PM

I got this reply from B&O customer service right now:

"Hello Jaap

Thank you for your questions.

The release date of the Connection Hub is unfortunately not available yet. However it will be available in the beginning of October.

The connection hub is fully capable of connecting via PL-out to other BeoLab speakers. It is imporant to put the speaker in Line-mode if you connect a BeoLab speaker to the Connection Hub via PL-out.

I hope this answers your questions.

Best regards, Kasper - Customer Service"

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 521
Bronze Member
1990 replied on Tue, Sep 29 2015 2:35 PM

Just got word from my dealer that the Hub is available within a week. I ordered one!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 521
Bronze Member
1990 replied on Tue, Sep 29 2015 2:36 PM

My dealer confirmed a delivery date "within the next week", so I ordered one with him. Excited :)

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Looking forward to hear about your experience with this small device.

How much does it cost?

MM

L1NO
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 250
Bronze Member
L1NO replied on Tue, Sep 29 2015 3:45 PM

I am curious also. I'm questioning the Line-PL setting if u use the PL-out. Would like to see a 'timer-behavior' for all speakers, not individual on line-seeting.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

A BL7-x will probably need a trigger solution in order to work with the output then.

That would be something, that Steve from SoundsHeavenly could answer (and provide).

MM

Mike
Not Ranked
Stuttgart, GERMANY
Posts 4
Bronze Member
Mike replied on Tue, Sep 29 2015 8:14 PM

TWG:

Well, another solution would be to buy one of the boxes from Almando.com .

I use the „Almando Multiplay Surround“ to connect a Loewe TV (and a Sonos via PL) to my BL3s. This works without problems, even a Loewe sub can be used together with the BeoLabs.
- Michael
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Mike:

TWG:

Well, another solution would be to buy one of the boxes from Almando.com .

I use the „Almando Multiplay Surround“ to connect a Loewe TV (and a Sonos via PL) to my BL3s. This works without problems, even a Loewe sub can be used together with the BeoLabs.
- Michael

The Almando products are wellknown and used by many B&O owners.

However, some get putt off, when they hear the prices for these units.

That is the reason, why I asked for the price of the hub in my post above.

MM

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 521
Bronze Member
1990 replied on Tue, Sep 29 2015 10:07 PM

It is priced at € 149,= as an "introduction price". Well below the Almando-units...

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Wed, Sep 30 2015 10:10 AM

Millemissen:

A BL7-x will probably need a trigger solution in order to work with the output then.

That would be something, that Steve from SoundsHeavenly could answer (and provide).

MM

I thought that I do NOT need anyhting else as the hub has Powerlink outputs?!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

TWG:

Millemissen:

MM

I thought that I do NOT need anyhting else as the hub has Powerlink outputs?!

Some BL's have a switch for line-in setup (left-right-line) - means they sense the incoming signal.

The 7.x does not - it was intended to be used with a BV only.

It (probably) needs to be triggered on/off externaly, since the connection hub does not provide the trigger.

The User Guide for connection to the S8 says: 'Select LINE when using the Connection Hub'.

What you (probably) will need is something like this:

http://soundsheavenly.com/line-in-connection/102--trigger-trs-.html?search_query=Beolab+7.2&results=39

if you want to be sure, Steve is the man to clarify.

MM

SHEFFIELD
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 262
Bronze Member
SHEFFIELD replied on Wed, Sep 30 2015 7:44 PM

I received the hub a couple of days ago, but have been too busy to open the box. I will have a look tomorrow....

what I remember from the conference last week is that it is an add on to the existing Mk1 S8 before the new S8 comes out with integrated hub, with the new package costing circa £200 more than the mk1.

ill let you know how it works tomorrow.

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Thu, Oct 1 2015 9:14 AM

SHEFFIELD:

I received the hub a couple of days ago, but have been too busy to open the box. I will have a look tomorrow....

what I remember from the conference last week is that it is an add on to the existing Mk1 S8 before the new S8 comes out with integrated hub, with the new package costing circa £200 more than the mk1.

ill let you know how it works tomorrow.

Great, could you please test if there's any reaction to a Beo 4? I know, the official answer is no, but maybe there's some hope... ;-)

SHEFFIELD
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 262
Bronze Member

It didn't really excite me!

It's purpose is to have two inputs to an S8, one being a TV input via optical or jack, and the other to take a power link RJ45, ideally an Essence.

This would allow a non B&O TV to drive the S8 with volume control and mute via third party TV remote control, and have multi-room wireless control with the new Essence.

It will certainly make the S8 which I think is phenomenal speaker system already, far more appealing to owners of non B&O televisions...

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

But, are we right, when we assume, that other BeoLabs could be connected instead of the S8-set?

MM

Page 1 of 3 (101 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS