Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Mac / beolab 18/19 full fat hook-up

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

orca99
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member
orca99 Posted: Sat, Oct 10 2015 2:22 PM

any suggestions as to how to hook up my Mac to my new BL 18/19. I would like to be able to play music up to 24/96.

I tried toslink and a digital SPDIF cable without luck. The manual indicates that it should be possible to daisy chain with toslink cables, but i could not get it to work.

Is there really no volume control built into the BL18's?

Any suggestions received with thanks.

orca99
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member
orca99 replied on Sun, Oct 18 2015 4:48 AM

I found this suggestion on how to download two apps to provide volume control on the digital output on my Mac's.........it looks like it is worth trying.

BU plan is to keep my digital amp in the loop, as preamp and to provide room correction.

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaudio/messages/14/149481.html

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Hi

Interesting setup there.

Most macs have digital out to go to the digital in on your BL18s

I had an optical 3.5mm adapter that i used to use in the headphone jack on my mac for another purpose.  The 3.5mm jack on the mac is an in and an out 

It's the source that dictates the volume not the speaker 

Are your BL18/19 connected to anything else?  or just for the mac? 

orca99
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member
orca99 replied on Mon, Oct 19 2015 10:47 AM

i also have optical outs on my macs - i have avoided the models without that feature.

i could not get the BL18's to run directly from the digital out due to very loud noises which diden't sound like it did the speakers any good

.......the amp is running full throttle, and not all applications have volume control.

Anyway - i will try to hook it up again when i finally get back to my home this weekend after many months on the road.

Sorry for mentioning it in this forum, but Roon is so much fun.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Can't wait to see how you went
orca99
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member
orca99 replied on Mon, Feb 8 2016 4:12 PM

Hi Michael

I can report a partial success.

The software to provide volume control on the optical out works fine.

Hook-up and playing Beolab 18 works great

plan for hookup of Beolab 19 woofer: total failure; the speaker miss the optical-toslink,in/out fitted to BL18........

BU plan: there is a new wisa control unit on the market with the specs i have been waiting for (basically include pre-amp function incl video)

Has anybody tried the Klipsch RP-hub1 with BL 17-20 speakers?

if anyone need many long toslink cables......let me know

orca99
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member
orca99 replied on Sun, Oct 16 2016 5:55 AM

if you also use the optical out on a Mac with Beolab speakers, here is a tip, which could save hours of fustration.

For a Mac to work properly as front-end to Active Beolabs (100% throttle..all the time..), It is too impractical to rely only on in-app volume controls, especially if you use a number of different software for audio & video playback.

I have earlier suggested to use software "soundflower" to provide keyboard volume control on the optical out; however this stopped working after i installed the latest OS (el Capitan). Even after updating Soundflower to latest version 2.0b2.(or something like that)...., the problem persisted.

I have switched to "Sound siphon"; version 1 ( which is free) and the volume control works again. "sound control" from the same company may also work (USD10). Later versions of Siphon has a lot of recording features, which are not essential and is not free.

Koijan
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
Koijan replied on Wed, May 31 2017 3:16 PM

Hi orca, I was thinking the same-use Klipsch rp-hub1 to hook up all the devices, but don't know whether they can get along. As prompted, beolab should be able to pair up with any Wisa enabled devices :"all you need is a single power cable and BeoLab 17 will find and connect to any nearby WiSA-compliant TV or A/V receiver, regardless of whether it is Bang & Olufsen or not.".

But seriously no one tried it yet.

orca99
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member
orca99 replied on Fri, Jul 21 2017 7:47 PM

Equipment status:

Beolab 2x18, 19, 7-4, 2x4000  (thailand/home)

Beolab 2x4000, Mac Mini 2012 - Norway.

Wisa Receiver x 5+cables: Denmark, waiting in B&O shop.

Klipsch RP-Hub1: (150 USD! on E-bay in USA, to be handcarried back to thailand)

Roon + netflix subscriptions (virtual)

Ipad pro with Roon remote (italy)

With a bit of luck this should come together to a 7.1 wireless system next time i am in Thailand....except that i am really busy at work in Italy right now, and my Thai flats is in the middle of being joined up and in a major renovation.

orca99
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member
orca99 replied on Fri, Jul 21 2017 7:53 PM

got an used Klipsch RP-hub1 now, it is a 7.2 wisa transmitter/preamp/ADC, with 4K passthrough and what makes me really excited: A VOLUME CONTROL!!!......hope to test with Beolab 18/19 before the end of the year.

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 999
Bronze Member
Waiting in anticipation for a great solution.

Present: BL90, Core, BL6000, CD7000, Beogram 7000, Essence Remote.

Past: BL1, BL2, BL8000, BS9000, BL5, BC2, BS5, BV5, BV4-50, Beosystem 3, BL3, DVD1, Beoremote 4, Moment.

orca99
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member
orca99 replied on Mon, Jan 8 2018 4:51 PM

I am listening to Adele21 on the system now - so the Klipsch Control center RP-Hub1 works!

with an all Beolab speaker setup. My GF is not easily impressed, but remarked on the SQ and is singing along right now.

i still only have fronts, subwoofer and center playing in a testsetup, but the center play through a receiver1. I see no reason the 4 sides and rears can not also play.....and since the Klipsch hub can run 7.2 i will be looking at another beolab19 soon.

Weaknesses noted: I can’t get an identifying tone from the hub to ensure all speakers are connected correct, so i will be playing channel identification tracks a lot.

Stability.......leaves a bit to desire.

themihai
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Bronze Member
themihai replied on Fri, May 18 2018 12:07 AM

I ditched my Beolab T1 for the same reason. WISA is not reliable....I went to great lengths to "make it work" with no success. 

I even got the WISA boards straight from the manufacturer(that supplies B&O as well) thinking that I can make a better transmitter (i.e. USB to WISA) but what I've found is that the technology is actually flawed as I experienced the same issues(i.e. connection drops), failing pairing etc.

Now I'm looking for a wired solution (USB or AVB to Powerlink) but so far I couldn't find anything. 

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
In the coming months I will buy an axiim Q

A b&o store also reported success with this device
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Thu, Jun 14 2018 8:22 AM

orca99:

My GF is not easily impressed, but <snip> is singing along right now.

SOLD !

I think you have success Smile

BeoNut since '75

orca99
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member
orca99 replied on Mon, Aug 5 2019 8:01 PM

While it is not advertised, the firmware in Beolab wisa speakers and receiver1 is updateable.

The stability when communicating between speakers and my Klipsch hub was poor, but after the speaker firmware was updated, it is soo much better. The combination is now recommended.

i brought all my speakers and receivers the the Bangkok dealer, and all was updated within half an hour.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS