Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beomaster 5000 - front panel passive and 'no transmission'

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

jebsign
Not Ranked
Spjald, Denmark
Posts 5
Bronze Member
jebsign Posted: Tue, Nov 3 2015 12:25 PM

I am new in the forum, hello beolovers, and thanks for any help offered.

I recently aquired a set of 4 Red Line 60 loudspeakers. Along with them I got a Beomaster 5000, a Beocord 5000, and a Master Control Panel 5000.

The speakers was my main interest. They are all with deteriorated mounts of the bass reflex plates. I have made an improvised repair of the mounts in 2 of the speakers.

The Beomaster 5000 I tested by connecting with the RL60 speakers and a Beogram 1902 :

Sound from both speakers, middle-low volume.

Display on the BM 5000 read 'loudness' 4.8

Display on the MCP 'no transmission'

There was no reaction when pressing the contact areas on the front panel of the BM. I was able to open the panel, and none of the buttons gives any response.

After reading related posts, I checked the ribbon connection to the front panel, and it looks ok.

So the amplifier (I don't need the tuner ) works, but is beyond control, what should I do next ?!

thanks

jebsign
Not Ranked
Spjald, Denmark
Posts 5
Bronze Member
jebsign replied on Sat, Nov 7 2015 4:30 PM

oh, no comments at all, not even "it is dead, let it rest..." ??  Broken Heart

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Never let it rest. The Beomaster will benefit from a full refurb. You can order a capacitor kit from member 'Dillen'. This may well fix many of the issues. Reflowing solder joints can help as cracks do appear. It's an old unit and needs some TLC.

Dave.
jebsign
Not Ranked
Spjald, Denmark
Posts 5
Bronze Member
jebsign replied on Sun, Nov 8 2015 12:12 PM

thanks for your encouragment, Dave !

I posted in the hope that someone would give a pointer on how to proceed.

The fact that the input from the turntable gets through to the loudspeakers gives some hope, (inlaid question: can the capacitors be bad under these circumstances?) so my first point of entry would be the control mechanism (leaving the master control panel aside as a separate issue).

The older sets (as the BM 901 I am using now) has the mechanical regulators, but this is another animal !

so, as (one) effect of the defect is no function of the front panel (not opening, not  turning off and on) what can I do to establish the repair needed.?

It seems like quite a mouthful for the layman mechanic, -had that damned amplifier just not delivered sound to the speakers !!  Time

jebsign

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
There are lots of capacitors in these units. The fact you get something is encouraging. Do a full recap with a kit, clean the inside PCB's and reflow joints and check for voltages according to the service manual and adjust. The cap kits from Martin (Dillen) have good instructions and diagrams.

One of my 5000 units is dead after I actually heard a capacitor blow it's top a while ago, and saw the accompanying puff of smoke.

Dave.
jebsign
Not Ranked
Spjald, Denmark
Posts 5
Bronze Member
jebsign replied on Mon, Nov 9 2015 10:12 AM

Thanks again Dave, -a little noise is ok but smoke, oh no!

I'll try to find a way to check the connection to the front panel, as that seems to me to be the main issue. I´m not capable of taking on the full restoration project at the moment.

Or i could go to the Horse´s Head for help, after all I´m only 35 kilometers away from Struer! Idea

Thanks again for your kind comments.

jebsign

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Mon, Nov 9 2015 10:20 AM

If you really want this looked at, you could contact member 'Dillen' in Copenhagen.  He's really busy with restorations/repairs but may be willing to take a look for you?

Frede at Classic Audio (just around the corner from you too) may be able to suggest someone local to you who could help.

Dave.

jebsign
Not Ranked
Spjald, Denmark
Posts 5
Bronze Member
jebsign replied on Mon, Nov 9 2015 2:11 PM

I think that´s the way for me, I really would like to put it where the Beomaster 901 is now, although that one is doing a good job, and been doing (with a tiny repair along the way) since I got it in the early 70´s.

Also, stored for future fixing is a Beomaster 1900 and a Beogram 8002. So time commitment is just around the corner!  Sleep

you have been most helpful, thanks and the best of Sound to you!

jebsign

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS