Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beovision 11 replacement

rated by 0 users
This post has 90 Replies | 5 Followers

Mace
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
Mace Posted: Sun, Nov 8 2015 4:24 PM

Hello all

Currently i'm considering a BV 11-46 - it's an amazing television, but it was released in 2012. So, my question is, does anybody know anything of a replacement? Or maybe just a new panel?

I bare no interest in the BF Avant, the design is just not to my likings (the spec's though are..)

Looking retrospectively, how long is the life cycle on a TV like this?

Many thanks in advance..

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Sun, Nov 8 2015 10:22 PM

I'm sure that everyone here can speculate, and some have in the recent past about a 4K update of some kind to the V1 (which has been discontinued).

Generally speaking, though, B&O keeps major designs in their collections for a LONG time, here's a rough rundown of some of their modern televisions:

Beovision Avant (David Lewis design) (1994-2005)

Beovision 4 (2004-2013)

Beovision 5 (2003-2006)

Beovision 7 (2004-2013)

Beovision 8 (2008-2011)

Beovision 9 (2007-2010)

Beovision 10 (2010-2013)

Beovision 11 (2012-present)

While I don't want to speculate, I'd say that the Beovision 11 design (to me, a classic ) is iconic enough to last a while, and from a manufacturing perspective, the interior should be able to be upgraded relatively easily for better screens, or beosystem processor. sort of hoping that in the future, this "chassis" upgrade can be something owners can order and have done to their televisions in their homes.

Having said that, the Beovision 11 is already on the fourth chassis design in the past three years. 

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Sun, Nov 8 2015 11:32 PM

If you like the BV11 just go for it! It's a classic design. Like all technology it will always be out of date. My wife once worked in a radio and TV department and they considered  that  TV's and PC's sold today were superseded within 6 weeks.

My own BV11 (on a motorised hinge) is a superb TV and I have no concerns about it being outdated.

Graham

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Mon, Nov 9 2015 1:21 AM

Tech wise BV11 is truly out of date - it desperately needs that 4K screen plus once you've seen OLED, the LCD next to it looks rather washed out. So maybe we'll see a new 4K BV11 replacement - it depends I guess on B&O's financial health.

Design wise, it's pure Marc Rothko which means that design can and probably will continue for the rest of BANG&OLUFSEN's days. Basically that design will last until holographic TV is with us (and I guess that's a long way away :)

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member

Paul W:

Tech wise BV11 is truly out of date - it desperately needs that 4K screen plus once you've seen OLED, the LCD next to it looks rather washed out. So maybe we'll see a new 4K BV11 replacement - it depends I guess on B&O's financial health.

Design wise, it's pure Marc Rothko which means that design can and probably will continue for the rest of BANG&OLUFSEN's days. Basically that design will last until holographic TV is with us (and I guess that's a long way away :)

But this thread suggests that OLED has a brightness problem! http://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/17241.aspx

There is a B&O large holographic display that frequently appears on eBay... I don't know whether it is just one that doesn't sell or whether there are several of them. Would there be any pleasure in watching a semi- transparent floating image?

Graham

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member

I keep seeing that 'holographic' TV on eBay too.  It must be like watching something through a net curtain!  Constantly being able to see what's behind it would be awful.  For some communication devices I could see that it could be useful but not for enjoying films or TV.

All of these new technologies seem to become outdated really quickly - even 4K is now becoming an old and redundant idea and that's even before we have a lot of 4K content!  LED has problems, OLED has problems, Plasma has problems, LCD has problems.  There are always issues with these things that develop over time.

I saw a BV11 for the first time a few weeks ago in a B&O dealer and thought it was a great looking TV with a good picture.  If you like one, go ahead and buy one.  Yes, there may be a better solution next week but we just don't know yet.  Who knows what may come next and how accessible it is, the longevity of the tech or how affordable it will be?

I'm still thrilled with my BV7_55 especially with the new ATV4 which has really improved the picture quality somehow.

Dave. 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

vikinger:

Would there be any pleasure in watching a semi- transparent floating image?

Graham

If it is the new technology and it gets hyped (from the tech press), people will buy it - pleasure or not!

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Mon, Nov 9 2015 10:06 AM

Millemissen:

vikinger:

Would there be any pleasure in watching a semi- transparent floating image?

Graham

If it is the new technology and it gets hyped (from the tech press), people will buy it - pleasure or not!

MM

So true and at the same time, so sad!

Dave.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Paul W:

....So maybe we'll see a new 4K BV11 replacement - it depends I guess on B&O's financial health.

I am not so sure about that anymore!

If it was that easy, it would already have been there, I am sure.

We more likely will see 'another kind of solution' in near future, when it comes to B&O and tv.

They have been talking quite openly of a 'cooperation' with another manufacturer for coming BV's.

Whatever that may mean???

Thinking of future tv's is not just a matter of using OLED displays or not, it is about implementing features

like HDR, WCG etc - for which there even isn't one standart yet, or a way to support multiple standarts of.

Tv business are dangerous waters for a small boat like B&O.

MM

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Mon, Nov 9 2015 10:26 AM

My understanding from a dealer discussion is that there will be a new TV launch 'soon' or at least during early next year.  No idea of size etc but believe it will be 'more affordable'.  The features implementation will be key as MM says I think.  The screen and quality thereof are becoming much of a muchness these days but the installed features and connectivity of external devices will be key to the desirability of the sets.

Dave.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

My guess is, that we will see something (!?) before the end of the first quarter 2016.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

And I suppose, that the acoustic department is working very hard at the moment for the sound solution of 'it' ;-))

MM

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Mon, Nov 9 2015 10:57 AM
But please no Beovosion with a wooden frame or wooden legs like A9. I fear it will look like this:

reprosteve
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member

If you like it buy one I have and love it, the 46" is just the right size for me. The 55" Avant was to big and I prefer the 11 for looks but that is personal taste.

I'm a retoucher and find 4k images forced and have yet to see ones I like, but once again this is my personal taste, I've only just swapped my 32" Avant CRT out of my living room .

Steve

BV 11 46 Avant 32 VCR

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
Posts 543
Bronze Member
Raeuber:

But please no Beovosion with a wooden frame or wooden legs like A9. I fear it will look like this:

Actually...yes, please!
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Nov 10 2015 2:17 AM
Millemissen:

My guess is, that we will see something (!?) before the end of the first quarter 2016.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

See it in dealers or just hear a press release ?

I spent yesterday mesmerised by an LG OLED ... I even starting thinking that's the it's price (1/3 to 1/4 of a BV11 or Avant) I could buy it, get enjoyment for a year, and then replace it with B&O's eventual expensive equivalent.

Mind you my call on a BV8 instead of waiting a bit long for the V1 was a bad call Unsure

BeoNut since '75

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

If you care so little for the soundquality (and more...) of a BeoVision - then it might be a solution.

MM

Facel
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 94
Bronze Member
Facel replied on Tue, Nov 10 2015 8:38 AM

You just have to add a Sound Bar  like the focal One  http://www.focal.com/france/dimension/530-pack-dimension-dimension-sub.html

and it will greatly do the job for the sound quality ... but you will not have .. all the additionnal little B&O details.(Design, Remote, Wisa,  ..) but are they really worth ?

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Many of the new LG and Samsung TVs can hold their own on the looks department. An Avant is just a black rectangle let's be honest.

Considering what B&O have been saying about working with TV manufacturers and the money they've lost with Beovisions, I wander how long it will be before a bespoke range of say Samsungs are released, but with B&O sound. LG have kind of done it already but to not very good effect. I reckon it's coming.

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member

http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-105UC9V

This for instance.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Facel:

You just have to add a Sound Bar  like the focal One  http://www.focal.com/france/dimension/530-pack-dimension-dimension-sub.html

and it will greatly do the job for the sound quality ... but you will not have .. all the additionnal little B&O details.(Design, Remote, Wisa,  ..) but are they really worth ?

Sorry - if that is your understanding of, what you get from a B&O video and audio solution (aka a BV), you have all reasons to go looking elsewhere.

No need to stay with a B&O product anymore.

MM

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Tue, Nov 10 2015 11:29 AM
Chris Townsend:

http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-105UC9V

This for instance.

Big Smile Have not seen that one. Really, really strange design leaving that hole under the screen.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Nov 10 2015 11:58 AM
That clear rectangular section is so distracting. I don't see how I'd be able to watch that.

Dave.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Put a Hue lamp behind it - that will look funtastic ;-)))

MM

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Tue, Nov 10 2015 12:44 PM

I'm with Elephant with that one. Once you've actually seen the performance of the LG OLED 55, you'll walk away from any LCD panel. At £1600! Add a Pioneer AV amp at £500 and a pair of B&W CM1 and its still the price of a 40" V1

Facel
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 94
Bronze Member
Facel replied on Tue, Nov 10 2015 1:43 PM

@Millemissen

Don't be sorry, just try to be more respectful, don't argue like a kitchen salesman who is seeing that he will not finalize his deal  

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Nov 10 2015 1:44 PM
I don't doubt it. Some of the OLED panels I've glanced at in the shops here are really amazing. In fact, some pictures look too good to be real to me! If anything, some are too sharp, clear or bright and don't seem natural - not as my eyes see them anyway.

Price wise they are also very good value, especially set up as you suggest.

Let's wait and see what B&O's 'smaller TV' as I understand it will be looks like, can do and costs.

Dave.
Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Nov 10 2015 1:54 PM
Facel:

@Millemissen

Don't be sorry, just try to be more respectfull, don't argue like a kitchen salesman who is seeing that he will not finalize his deal

Let's all behave.

@Facel, I think what MM was trying to get across is that B&O have a very good and tailored video and audio engine that is designed to give a much better video and audio package than some other manufacturers. Integration with other devices is improving, connectivity to B&O's own equipment, multi room, placement options etc, etc is possible, WISA and so on.

LG and B&O are in different markets. That doesn't make one any better or worse than the other in my opinion. They are just different. I still don't like that rectangular window at the bottom no matter how good the picture may be.

Dave.
ErikVonAgnar
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 193
Bronze Member

I heard from my Beo dealer that there is gonna come a new TV, summer 2016.

But it is truly a new Beoplay V1 (V2?) with a more simple 4K screen.

Don't think the BV11 gonna disappear soon. Maybe it will get a new 4K screen.

Beo in white is my thingBig Smile

Currently own: BeoVision Avant 55", BeoLab 5, BeoLab 18, BeoRemoteOne, BeoPlay V1-32", BeoRemote4, BeoSound 3200, BeoGram 6500 (MMC-1), BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, LC2, BeoVision MX7000 and BeoLab 3

Bv7Mk3
Top 150 Contributor
uk
Posts 781
Bronze Member
Bv7Mk3 replied on Tue, Nov 10 2015 6:04 PM
Beovision 11 with 4k and Hevec I would buy just like that.

Sold my Beovision 55 and just waiting.Im not beoless as I have a borrowed Beovision 55 at the mo.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Dave Farr:
Facel:

@Millemissen

Don't be sorry, just try to be more respectfull, don't argue like a kitchen salesman who is seeing that he will not finalize his deal

Let's all behave.

@Facel, I think what MM was trying to get across is that B&O have a very good and tailored video and audio engine that is designed to give a much better video and audio package than some other manufacturers. Integration with other devices is improving, connectivity to B&O's own equipment, multi room, placement options etc, etc is possible, WISA and so on.

LG and B&O are in different markets. That doesn't make one any better or worse than the other in my opinion. They are just different. I still don't like that rectangular window at the bottom no matter how good the picture may be.

Dave.

That is pretty much how I feel about it.

After all, what I am interested in, is the overall concept behind the B&O devices.

To me that is at a level, that by far is not reached by any other manufacturer (of A/V gear), no matter how good the picture of an OLED tv is, or how intriguing it might be to have a soundbar beneath it.

When it comes to choosing, I would rather live with the superb FullHD picture/screen and the exceptional audio solution of a BV(11), than with an OLED 4K tv (of todays standart) with a wanna-be surround sound solution in a box connected to it.

This is not about behaving or not.

This is about the overall experience, you can have from a B&O setup, which - i thought - we as Beoworlders should applaude.

I am perfectly fine with someone not caring for it - that is his choice..

But after all this is a B&O forum - and we were discussing a 'BeoVision 11 replacement'.

MM

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Tue, Nov 10 2015 10:55 PM
Millemissen:

That is pretty much how I feel about it.

After all, what I am interested in, is the overall concept behind the B&O devices.

To me that is at a level, that by far is not reached by any other manufacturer (of A/V gear), no matter how good the picture of an OLED tv is, or how intriguing it might be to have a soundbar beneath it.

When it comes to choosing, I would rather live with the superb FullHD picture/screen and the exceptional audio solution of a BV(11), than with an OLED 4K tv (of todays standart) with a wanna-be surround sound solution in a box connected to it.

+1

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

James
Not Ranked
Melbourne
Posts 49
Bronze Member
James replied on Wed, Nov 11 2015 7:26 AM
I have an early 55" Beovision 11. My partner has just brought a new expensive Other brand 65" curved LCD UHD set. The B&O kicks the UHD hands down in perceived image quality stakes unless the UHD set is being fed a Bluray HD signal, in which case it's similar. I was truly surprised at this as the UHD set is it least 2 years 'newer'. The B&O might not have the fancy apps of the 65" either, but it's a much slicker operation to drive around the menus than the UHD. I love my B&O Big Smile
Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
I don't understand what any of this about the future technology in the next 11. Based upon some of the comments, B&O may as well have just kept making the CRT Avant.

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Wed, Nov 11 2015 10:30 AM

Chris Townsend:
I don't understand what any of this about the future technology in the next 11. Based upon some of the comments, B&O may as well have just kept making the CRT Avant.

I did love my Avant CRT - the sound and picture were superb.  But, it was a monster of a TV in comparison to todays thinner/less deep panel TV's whether they are LCD, LED, Plasma or OLED.  Stick an old Avant in a corner and it was great but against a wall and it stuck out a mile, especially if you wanted the stand to rotate.

Having gone to the BV7_55, I haven't looked back.  I don't miss the old Avant but it was still one of the best CRT's available in its time.  That time has long gone now.

B&O were on the brink of pulling out of TV productuion completely last year.  Leaving only speakers, streaming devices and the Beoplay range (having sold the auto sound section).  I'm glad they didn't pull the plug and we can still have our fully integrated/smart TV's with the rest of our old and newer sound equipment.

As the BV11 is available in 3 sizes currently, do we need a 'replacement' or simply and enhancement of the BV11 range?  e.g. larger screen, improved features etc.

Dave.

Brigantinus
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 140
Bronze Member

In my eyes the problem is to get an 46' screen for less than +/- 7000€ (including DVB T/C/S and a stand solution) right now...... made by B&O.

The V1 with a motorised bracket, like the BV11...... I would have bought it, but the stand solutions were not my taste

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Dave Farr:

I did love my Avant CRT - the sound and picture were superb. But, it was a monster of a TV in comparison to todays thinner/less deep panel TV's whether they are LCD, LED, Plasma or OLED. Stick an old Avant in a corner and it was great but against a wall and it stuck out a mile, especially if you wanted the stand to rotate.

Having gone to the BV7_55, I haven't looked back. I don't miss the old Avant but it was still one of the best CRT's available in its time. That time has long gone now.

B&O were on the brink of pulling out of TV productuion completely last year. Leaving only speakers, streaming devices and the Beoplay range (having sold the auto sound section). I'm glad they didn't pull the plug and we can still have our fully integrated/smart TV's with the rest of our old and newer sound equipment.

As the BV11 is available in 3 sizes currently, do we need a 'replacement' or simply and enhancement of the BV11 range? e.g. larger screen, improved features etc.

Dave.

I agree. Only recently have I heard products with that lovely full sound(bass)

Just enhance or update the 11, nothing else. A 55 inch 11 with UHD OLED, and I'd trade in my 7-55. Until then I'll keep the best HD TV I've ever seen.

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Wed, Nov 11 2015 3:31 PM

Chris Townsend:
Just enhance or update the 11, nothing else.

Although I just got my 11 earlier this year, I'd say that an update to the 11 would make me seriously consider upgrading. Too bad here in the States B&O don't do as robust a "trade-in" as overseas.

Secondly, Count me in as one of those who loved the old Avant. Even here in the States where we didn't have the RealFlat version, my old Black Lacquer CRT was the Rolls Royce of televisions. You can fetch them on eBay for close to nothing, but they were a bear to move. My friend and I almost lost our backs once when we attempted to move it down a flight of stairs. The handle grips below the front of the CRT "ledge" were barely there as opposed to the wide and deep openings in the back. Built like a tank it was.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Wed, Nov 11 2015 4:20 PM
Sal:

Although I just got my 11 earlier this year, I'd say that an update to the 11 would make me seriously consider upgrading. Too bad here in the States B&O don't do as robust a "trade-in" as overseas.

Secondly, Count me in as one of those who loved the old Avant. Even here in the States where we didn't have the RealFlat version, my old Black Lacquer CRT was the Rolls Royce of televisions. You can fetch them on eBay for close to nothing, but they were a bear to move. My friend and I almost lost our backs once when we attempted to move it down a flight of stairs. The handle grips below the front of the CRT "ledge" were barely there as opposed to the wide and deep openings in the back. Built like a tank it was.

I agree completely. Very much wish trade ins were possible here in the USA.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

linder
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 983
Bronze Member
linder replied on Wed, Nov 11 2015 8:29 PM

Sal and Razlaw,

I am also looking forward to a new Beovision.  However I am starting to wonder if Bang & Olufsen is ultimately going to leave the United States.  There have been many store closings lately.  There is now only one dealer in Chicago and it is Abt electronics.  It is one of the best dealers there is but it is in the suburbs.  Most customers live in the city and don't have a car like me.  Maybe B&O shouldn't make a TV but still have a way a way of connecting speakers and players to a networked TV like the LG oled.

Page 1 of 3 (91 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS