Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

General Tangential Arm Alignment Question

rated by 0 users
This post has 23 Replies | 0 Followers

jtw
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Bronze Member
jtw Posted: Sat, Nov 21 2015 3:05 PM

Hi All!  The service manual for Beogram models with tangential arms states that the sides of the tonearm should be 90 deg to the table.  It shows that there is an adjustment screw that can be used to make the angle correct.  

How critical is that angle?  What happens if it is 2 or 3 degrees off?  Is there a test record of some type that would be used to confirm that the tonearn is correct?

Thanks,  Joe

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 734
Bronze Member
Lee replied on Sat, Nov 21 2015 4:15 PM
I assume you are talking about the azimuth of the tonearm...

This is essential to get right to enjoy the maximum sound quality from your records.

If it's off at best you'll have terrible cross talk and poor separation and at worst it will damage your records.

The stylus needs to sit in the groove straight on to track the modulations correctly.

jtw
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Bronze Member
jtw replied on Sat, Nov 21 2015 4:30 PM

Yes.  Thank You.  Azimuth.  What are some good tools/techniques to get this set properly on a B&O tangential tonearm?

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 734
Bronze Member
Lee replied on Sat, Nov 21 2015 4:40 PM
I've been battling with this myself recently. I settled for a set square on the platter.

You can also do it (possibly more accurately) with a mirror (with a front reflecting surface) and using your eye to line the stylus up with its reflection.

For the most accurate way to do it you'll require dr freikerts adjust+ software and a test LP.
jtw
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Bronze Member
jtw replied on Tue, Dec 8 2015 2:10 PM

The adjustment screw that is used to get the sides of the cartridge/tonearm perpendicular to the record (azimuth) is stuck.  Does this screw loosen and tighten the tonearm, or does turning the screw one direction rotate the arm clockwise and the other direction rotate the arm anti-clockwise?  Any ideas on getting that screw unstuck?

The fact that the screw is stuck makes me believe it has been that way a very long time.  Is there any reason to believe that the optimum azimuth would be anything other than 90 deg?

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 734
Bronze Member
Lee replied on Tue, Dec 8 2015 5:03 PM
What turntable are you adjusting?
jtw
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Bronze Member
jtw replied on Tue, Dec 8 2015 5:18 PM

Hi Lee!

TX2.  Can't turn the screw B.

Recently purchased.  Noticed the issue after purchase.  I can return it, but I'd like to fix it.

So, more generally, are there cases where you set the azimuth accurately to 90 deg per spec, but then, a test record suggests that you would be better at a different set-up?

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

I f I remember right, the B screw has no function on the TX2, the height has to be adjusted with the up/down mechanism the D screw is for the azimuth, but if your needle is bent it can only be done with a test record. If the cartridge suspension is bad you will have to repair the cartridge.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

jtw
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Bronze Member
jtw replied on Tue, Dec 8 2015 9:02 PM

Yes, I typed incorrectly.  I have been trying to turn the D screw for azimuth adjustment, which is the correct one, per the manual.  Won't turn.

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 734
Bronze Member
Lee replied on Tue, Dec 8 2015 9:07 PM
The most accurate way to set your azimuth is using a piece of software called Adjust+ and a test LP but it's not cheap. It measures crosstalk and plots a graph to show you the best azimuth setting.

Most carts have a stylus that is ever so slightly off 90 degrees, it's argued that in order to sound it's absolute best the stylus needs to be corrected to sit perfectly in the groove by adjusting the tonearms azimuth.

I'm seriously considering the software myself.

Lee

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Wed, Dec 9 2015 3:38 AM

The software is very tempting. It looks pretty nice but as you say, a little on the high side.

jtw
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Bronze Member
jtw replied on Wed, Dec 9 2015 2:22 PM

I have to make some decisions on this TX2 very soon.  i'm still trying to figure out how to turn screw D.  The screw is in a metal assembly with some springs.  When I try to turn the screw clockwise, that metal assembly moves so that the tonearm touches the indicator arm, but the screw doesn't turn.  When I stop trying to turn the screw, the tonearm and indicator return to parallel.  When I try to turn screw D counterclockwise, the tonearm pivots away from the indicator arm until it hits a fragile looking 'stop'.  Again, the screw doesn't turn, and again, the arm goes back to parallel when I stop trying to turn the screw.

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 734
Bronze Member
Lee replied on Wed, Dec 9 2015 3:24 PM
Are you sure it needs adjusting? Have you checked it with a set square?

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

I see you work very carefully, and you should, the whole tonearm support is very fragile, you will have to grab the tonearm with 2 fingers, keep it from moving and turn the screw, are you sure you need to adjust the azimuth ? I did mine a couple of years ago, here the link

jtw
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Bronze Member
jtw replied on Wed, Dec 9 2015 5:32 PM

First, let me say that I really appreciate all of the time y'all are taking to help me with my problem.

For some reason, the tonearm assembly looks a little different than those in the pictures, but looks almost exactly like the images in the manual.  I'll try to figure out how to send pictures.

I used a few different pieces of square plastic to verify that the tonearm and cartridge are not 90 deg to an album when the stylus is resting motionless on an album.  From the front, it is tilted slightly to the left.  Also, at the back of the tonearm is mounted on a piece of metal (that's where screw D is).  The tonearm is also tilted to the left relative to that piece.  The sensor arm is tilted the opposite direction...down on the right hand side as you are looking from the front.

Here is more background.  The previous owner sent me video of the table working correctly.  When I received the box in the mail and opened it, the 3 transport screws had come undone.  The tonearm and indicator arm were hitting the top lid.  The table didn't work correctly when I first set it up.  After some looking around, I found that the tonearm assembly had come off of the right side of the smaller front track.  I pressed that back on.  Also, the 2 arms weren't parallel, so I  adjusted that.  The table now appears that it should work, but I don't want to risk damaging the cartridge with the tilted tonearm.  I'm guessing the tonearm is at 85 deg and the indicator arm is at about 100 deg.  The shipping WAS insured, so I may be able to get my $$ back that way.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

The only way the indicator arm can be tilted is if broken or the whole vernier is tilted, aka the rails has come off their plastic supports or the supports broken.

The indicator arm is fixed to the vernier and only height adjustment is possible, Check the 2 chromed guide shafts supports the rear shaft may have come out of the support or one of  the supports broken. if the indicator arm is out of line this has to be fixed before any other adjustments can be made.

jtw
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Bronze Member
jtw replied on Thu, Dec 10 2015 2:57 PM

I checked the rails.  They appear to be correct now.

On Soren's picture, note that the right arm is attached at the back to a black plastic piece.  When I look from the front of the arm, the arm's top surface is not parallel to the top of the black plastic piece it is attached to.  The right side of the arm is not parallel to the right side of the black plastic piece.  So, it is attached in such a way as it is turned 2-4 deg clockwise.  Is that bad?

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Both arms has to be lined up to the platter as shown in the manual, we need some pics now

jtw
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Bronze Member
jtw replied on Thu, Dec 10 2015 3:41 PM

Any hints on where I can find the procedure for posting pics?

Also, is there a spec for the screwdriver needed for screw D?  Maybe a better fit would help.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Sorry have to go, will be back tonight

jtw
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Bronze Member
jtw replied on Thu, Dec 10 2015 9:43 PM

I must now admit that, after measuring with various 90 deg 'tools' for the last half hour, the indicator arm appears to be very very close correct.  I believe it was just an illusion caused by the tilt of the tonearm next to it.

So, I'm back to the tonearm adjustment questions:

o Is screw 'D' used to loosen and tighten the tonearm, or does turning screw 'D' clockwise rotate the arm clockwise, and counter-clockwise turning of the screw rotate the arm counter-clockwise?

o Is there a 'spec' on the screwdriver to be used on screw 'D'?  Maybe if I had a screwdriver that fits the slot better than the 30 I own, it would be easier to turn.

Thanks.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

There is no special screwdriver available for this, but a screwdriver that fits the slot is your best weapon, and yes clockwise turn the arm clockwise and counter clockwise, counterclockwise.

When posting photos edit them first. I crop away the surrounds not needed, and then resize them to around 800 pixels wide, that does that the whole photo fits the column here on the forum

If you want to post one photo in a reply click Options in the upper left corner, click File attachment, new window, click browse, choose your pic and hit save, click post if finished writing or review if not

If you want to post more pics in an answer, use a service like Photobucket, edit your photos and resize, upload to the service, in a reply click the filmstrip, new window, click from URL, go to the service find your photo, copy the direct link, go back to your reply past the link and click insert, the pic like magic appears in your reply, do the same for as many pics you want in the same reply

Now find that screwdriver

jtw
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Bronze Member
jtw replied on Fri, Dec 11 2015 12:09 AM

Thanks.  I'm going to look so funny carrying that turntable into the hardware store.

jtw
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Bronze Member
jtw replied on Mon, Dec 14 2015 3:10 PM

Here is an update for all of you folks who have been so helpful:

I customized a screwdriver to fit the brass screw 'D' to try to turn the tonearm.  I still couldn't get it to move.  So, I decided to take the time to snake the cables in and out of our big cabinets and try it.  (It's a big ordeal.)  Immediately, I could tell that one channel was louder than the other.  I had to move on the couch quite a bit to get in the sweet spot.  I verified this with several albums.  The next problem was that there was quite a bit of rumble as compared to my RX.  But the last straw was that the table speed changes up and down slightly.  Everyone who has listened hears it.  Songs change pitch and tempo slightly, but noticeably during play.

So, the box arrived dented.  It was mishandled in shipping to the point where the 3 transport screws popped off and the tonearm assembly came off its track.  I have no reason to believe it was not in great condition before shipping.  I've done more than enough to try to make this right.  It was insured, so I'm starting a damage claim with the post office.  We'll see what happens.

Thanks, again.

Page 1 of 1 (24 items) | RSS