Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram RX Anti-Skate

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 0 Followers

jtw
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Bronze Member
jtw Posted: Thu, Nov 26 2015 5:16 PM

Hi all!  I found an RX user's manual online.  It doesn't say anything about an anti-skate adjustment.  Is there one?  If so, where?  If not, why not?  Thanks.

jtw
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Bronze Member
jtw replied on Sun, Nov 29 2015 3:04 PM

This must be a tough one.  The owners manual says that mmc1-5 can be used.  It explains how to set the tracking force, but there is no mention of anti-skate.

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 734
Bronze Member
Lee replied on Sun, Nov 29 2015 3:11 PM
As far as I know the tracking force is set at the factory and should never need changing.

What makes you think the tracking force needs adjustment?
jtw
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Bronze Member
jtw replied on Sun, Nov 29 2015 3:37 PM

Not tracking force.  Anti-skate.  And, no, tracking force isn't set at the factory.  Tracking force and anti-skate are normally cartridge dependent.  The tracking force will be anywhere from 1 to 1.5g.   The manual gives instructions for setting the tracking force.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Here at the red arrow

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

jtw
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Bronze Member
jtw replied on Sun, Nov 29 2015 5:06 PM

Thank You!  How do you adjust it?  If I replace an MMC5 (tracking force = 1.5g) with an MMC3 (tracking force = 1.2g), do I have to take the turntable apart to adjust the anti-skate?  How do I set it?

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 734
Bronze Member
Lee replied on Sun, Nov 29 2015 5:12 PM
My bad, obviously I meant anti-skate not tracking force.

No need to be so rude!!

There's not much you can tell me about beograms!
Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Nov 29 2015 5:36 PM

In most cases you don't have to worry about anti-skating on B&O decks since only their own cartridges can be used and they
are all very similar in this respect.
I'm sure the adjustments would have been made easier accessible if not.

Martin

jtw
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Bronze Member
jtw replied on Sun, Nov 29 2015 6:26 PM

Not intended to be rude, Lee.  Sorry if it was taken that way.  I participate in one forum where there has recently been a big discussion about studies showing how things are taken in the wrong way with written words as opposed to spoken word.

So, are you also saying that anti-skate is pre-set, and should be left alone for all MMC1-5 cartridges?

jtw
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Bronze Member
jtw replied on Sun, Nov 29 2015 6:29 PM

Oh, and I forgot to mention that there IS an anti-skate adjustment on the RX2.  It is a screw on the underside of the turntable, with markings for the different cartridges.  At first glance, I don't see it on my RX.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Nov 29 2015 7:01 PM

I wouldn't worry about it, unless someone messed with something.

Martin

jtw
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Bronze Member
jtw replied on Mon, Nov 30 2015 1:46 AM

I guess I'm the someone who messed with it, since I'm going from a cartridge that tracks at 1.5g to one that tracks at 1.2g.

To my untrained eyes, just looking at photos, the tonearm on the RX2 looks similar to that on the RX.  The RX2 has a simple anti-skate adjustment.  Do y'all think that the lack of a simple adjustment was an oversight on the RX, that was added to the RX2?

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

jtw:

Thank You!  How do you adjust it?  If I replace an MMC5 (tracking force = 1.5g) with an MMC3 (tracking force = 1.2g), do I have to take the turntable apart to adjust the anti-skate?  How do I set it?

As Martin says, leave it alone, if you moved it put it back where it was before. You will need a record with the adjustment tracks to adjust it, or do it by ear with a well known record track where you know what has to come out right and left.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS