Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Questions to repair a Beogram 8002

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

GReg
Not Ranked
France
Posts 10
Bronze Member
GReg Posted: Thu, Dec 3 2015 11:40 AM

Hi guys,

I just began to repair my beogram 8002.

I ordered and began to recap with martin capkit.

After recapping, I have differents problems :

- when I plug in the turntable, sometimes I've a dot, sometimes "C..C..", sometimes other symbols.

- when I've a dot, I can press play, stop, turn, 33 and 45 button, the plate is turning

- the arm don't move, no light on the detector arm, motor inactive

I would like to know what check in priority ?

Thanks for any advice :) I'm a noob in electronic

So I remove a strange capacitor on the back of the PCB, please have a look on pics

Premiumverum
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 115
Gold Member

The strange capacitor on the back of the PCB is the green big one on the last pic? That is a resistor and should definitely be there, do not remove.

First thing is replace the capacitors. Are you sure you got all polarities right? As stuff lights up I'd say you probably have.

Next thing is resolder all connectors and inspect thouroughly for other bad solderings.

Do not forget the cap in the uprocessor can (probably included in martins kit) and check for bad connections there also.

Usually these problems are from one or more bad solders, it was on mine!

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Thu, Dec 3 2015 3:30 PM

Hi, it looks like your are deep into your Beogram 8002 project. I'm not sure I would recommend the 8000 series components for a noob but if you are determined and wiling to put in the time (and work) you can make it work. Check out this thread of my Beogram 8002 project. It will give you an idea of what types of issues you can run into. It was one of my first Beoworld and Beogram projects. A lot of the issues with the turntable are related to connection problems. Things like solder joints. The spacing on the board of the solder joints is pretty small so be careful soldering. It is worth investing in a good desoldering iron. Make sure you have the service manual and follow the service adjustments in the manual.

-sonavor

GReg
Not Ranked
France
Posts 10
Bronze Member
GReg replied on Thu, Dec 3 2015 4:28 PM

I saw your topic and I think to have many strange behaviour like you.

Yes I've changed capacitor in the uprocessor, not easy for me but it's good now ;)

I'll check the solders and connectors.

Thanks

GReg
Not Ranked
France
Posts 10
Bronze Member
GReg replied on Thu, Dec 3 2015 4:30 PM

thank you @sonavor

I'm a noob but I like to learn and want this beogram to work ;) this one is in pretty good condition, like new

GReg
Not Ranked
France
Posts 10
Bronze Member
GReg replied on Tue, Dec 8 2015 12:44 PM

After checking, I've always the plate turning but arm don't move...

Maybe I must check the OPE1 like the guillaume topic ? how to test the IR led ?

So I have only 33 on display in play mode, not 33.33. The problem is not from the lcd display cause it's ok when I press many times on play button, I've a 1,2,3,4,... wich is diplayed on the right part.

thanks for help Yes - thumbs up

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Wed, Dec 9 2015 4:17 PM

My 8002 turntables all work like this -

Pressing "Turn" : Platter rotates with no speed displayed (just the red dot).
Pressing "33" after "Turn" displays 33.33 in the display.
Pressing "45" displays 45.00 in the display.

Pressing "Stop" stops the platter and just the red dot displays.

Pressing "Play" starts the platter and tonearm moving and displays 33.33.
When the arm reaches the point on the platter for a seven inch record, the display changes to 45.00 (as well as the platter speed).

When I have seen the display only show 33 it has been a problem with the turntable logic reading the platter rotation. One problem you have is you don't know if someone else has attempted to fix the turntable before you. Maybe there is a bad solder connection somewhere or they damaged a component. I have seen cases where too much solder was applied and two signals were shorted together. That is why I said before that you really will have to go over the all of the electronics carefully and check for bad solder connections (cracks, missing or over-soldered joints). After that, if nothing is resolved, you will have to dive in to the schematics and start measuring control signals and checking the power lines in the turntable. It is always possible that a component like a transistor or a diode failed.

You have everything nicely apart where you can get at all of the circuitry though so just be methodical and go through all of the traces. I know this probably isn't a viable option but a quick check would be to find a spare processor board or borrow one off a working BG8002 that you could swap in and see if that isolates the problem.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS