Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

What to buy!!

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Thefutureofmusic
Not Ranked
Spain
Posts 36
Bronze Member
Thefutureofmusic Posted: Thu, Dec 3 2015 8:42 PM

Hey everone!

Long time lurker, new member,

I made this thread because I am more than confused...

To start the story;

I now have the following

Beovision7-32mk3 with Beolab7.1

Beolab Penta mk3

Beolab 8000 mk1

My thoughts are to sell off the speakers and buy something new.

But here lies the confusion.

I have looked ad the amazing A9, love the design, but I never compared it to the power of the Pentas. Anyone knows how the basic difference in depth and preasure is?

I also look at the specs of the A9 and it says 480w.

But my Beolab 7.1 has 700+W and a sound that actually is quite remarkable!

So this makes me think about just getting two Beolab 7.2 and use them as a pair of upright standing speakers (just make a stand for them). Shouldnt that kick the ass of the A9?

My local B&O dealer says that two A9s are equal to a pair of Beolab9...! Wtf!

I would love to have two A9 sitting on the wall as a set! 

But still, the Beolab7.2 still has more power than both A9 and one Beolab9. Ok the woofers are smaller, but the power is there...!

i know, i know, the classical, dont get hung up on Watts. And its true. I am just so absolutely super confused about what to get!

And the  we have the S8 system, which i personally think looks amazing. How about buying two of them and set up as a pair of speakers. That would be exellent as well since i would be able to get a good spread due to two loose speakers on each side.

But yet again, the Beolab7.2 (on paper power) kicks that system as well.

i do apologize for such a rambling post, just sharing my thoughts and hoping for input.

someone else whom thinks a pair of upright standing Beolab7.2 would look awesome?!

It would be like Beolab1 meets 6000 with a dash of madnes!! 

Beocenter-2300, Beocenter Ouverture, Beolab-2500, Beolab-8000, Beolab-Penta Mk3, Beolab-7.1, Beovision-7, Beovision-6, Remotes. And Feauture Beolab90 owner. The Speakers with the sound of smooth whipped butter made out of diamonds [L]

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Thu, Dec 3 2015 9:16 PM

I apologize if I'm misunderstanding you, but please note that as far as I'm aware, you can't "connect" the A9 speaker to be a speaker to output the sound from a beovision, it is meant as a "standalone" product that can JOIN the sound from other NL capable systems, unless you intend to use the line in connection using an adapter from your BV7.

Quite honestly, I had never thought of the idea of using an A9 or two as speakers for a B&O video source. That's thinking out of the box.

I can't comment on the sonic qualities of the Beolab 7 or Pentas. But I'm sure more than one of us would advise you that with a Penta / BL8000 combination you're already getting a lot of bang in the way of sound. 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Sal:

But I'm sure more than one of us would advise you that with a Penta / BL8000 combination you're already getting a lot of bang in the way of sound. 

I absolutely agree on that.

If these speakers are in good condition, don't even think of replacing them.

Quite a few people would envy you this speakers setup.

My advice - save your moneyfor something else.

Maybe for a bigger (more modern) BV, if you need a bigger sized tv.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Thefutureofmusic
Not Ranked
Spain
Posts 36
Bronze Member

Hi Sal,

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Yes you can. DIN to RCA. And if its needed the signal to turn the A9 on, there are solutions for that. I am looking at such a cable right now (for using Beolab 7.1/2 with normal 3.5 input. From example ipad.

So yes, my intention would be to use this cable from the TV. 

That takes me to a second question. If I do commect the two A9 with adaptor cables, could I still use them as itended as well, with airplay?

Yea it is a little bit strange I agree, But honestly, how cool would it not look with two big round speakers on the wall!? Of course, nice on the legs as well.cbut I think that in a stereo setup, they would really "come to life" estetically, when put on the wall.

I love the pentas. Had them, sold them, bought them again... Seems like I always come back to them. The sound is so smooth and warm. And the power is there to play loud. Not as loud as Beolab1 and from what i heard the A9 and of course Beolab9 could play louder, but in the case of the A9, iI doubt it is as powerfull in the deep notes as the pentas.

The Beolab7.1 I have was a huge surprise as well. I never imagine it would sound that good, and play as loud as it does. And due to the bigger size of the BL7.2, thats what makes me think about using two of them. After all, its ICE-power all the way. And more of it compared to, A9, S8 and Even BL9. So that should count for somerhing....

Beocenter-2300, Beocenter Ouverture, Beolab-2500, Beolab-8000, Beolab-Penta Mk3, Beolab-7.1, Beovision-7, Beovision-6, Remotes. And Feauture Beolab90 owner. The Speakers with the sound of smooth whipped butter made out of diamonds [L]

Thefutureofmusic
Not Ranked
Spain
Posts 36
Bronze Member

Hi Millemissen,

I was lucky with these last pentas. The look like they are out of the box! But At least on midrange on one of them needs replacement, so i should probably get a kit and completely upgrade them both.

When I max them, I hear a slight distortion from the one with one bad mid.

The 8000 even though they are mk1. Are mirrorcrisp with perfect fabric. Only bad thing is that one of the plastic parts on the back for pulling out the connectionboard, is damaged. But thats just cosmetical.

I have not seen the speakerelements themselves since I am a bit affraid of damaging the perfect front, if I do something wrong when taking it off.

But they do sound rather "thin" in the sound, No distortion, just lazy. Is that because of the mk1 model itself or would it be because of potentially bad wooffers? They play loud, they just dont play with "passion"

Thefutureofmusic
Not Ranked
Spain
Posts 36
Bronze Member

Sal,

By the way, if my local B&O dealer is correct when he says that two A9s are as potential as a pair of Beolab9, I would absolutely go for two A9.

Looks way cooler in general design and has much more potential when it comes to using also seperate and connecting with other sources,

As well. The price!

Thefutureofmusic
Not Ranked
Spain
Posts 36
Bronze Member

But the main interest and the place for my biggest curiosity regarding this thread, is the use of two Beolab7.2.

As mentioned before, on paper the crush all these other options when it comes to power.

i might ad as well, I only have digital signal in my house and the BV7 dont work with that.

Anyone know which on is the cheapest and best option to put in the tv to be able to make it usable for the digital signal?

I prefer to use the original option of the slotin card on the side of the TV, so I can easy integrate and manage everything, compared to an ugly extra box, that would need another remote ir a ir transmitter etc etc.

Seems so easy to just plug in the card in the side of the tv. But no idea what the best options are.

I really appreciate all the replies and help from you all!

Thefutureofmusic
Not Ranked
Spain
Posts 36
Bronze Member

C'mon people I really need to have some thoughts and input about this subject.

It drives me crazy not knowing what to do or decide for.

No more opinions, ideas or crazy solutions from any other B&O lover out there?

I joined the forum mostly for this question, and I did actually expect to get almost to much input and ideas..... Not the other way.

Anyone with a BL7.2 whom would like to give a review and perhaps some comparison?

I have of course Googled and searched this forum but I dont really find anything detailed and good.

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member

Some thoughts...

A pair of A9s are unlikely to make an idea stereo pair, as they are already stereo units. Admittedly the stereo separation from a single A9 is limited but you would have to choose between either utilising half of each A9, or putting up with some potentially strange imaging.

Regarding the BL7.2 - it is identical to the 7.1 but in a longer enclosure - thus offering slightly better stereo separation (as a result of the left and right drivers being further apart), but for the same reasons as discussed above, this is likely to make them even less suitable turned sideways, as a stereo pair.

I'd have to agree with what others have said and say I would stick with what you already have, or if you really want something that sounds like a pair of BL9s - get a pair of BL9s Wink

At the end of the day though, what sounds good to one person may not sound good to another - it's all very subjective. So have a listen yourself, ideally in your own home if you can arrange this with your dealer, and buy whatever you will be happy with Smile

Kind Regards,

Martin.

Thefutureofmusic
Not Ranked
Spain
Posts 36
Bronze Member

Hey Martin,

That is a thing I have not thought about. Thank you for the point.

Could it also be considered that the sound spreading would be even greater, that meaning positively?

I have never really cared about if a guitar comes from the right or left side, if you get my point. I just want the ambience of the music.

Perhaps it could actually be a positive thing with two "stereos"?

Any more thoughts about it?

I have imagined as well that the BL7.2 has a slightly deeper level of bass, since the bigger ported enclosure. I just base this loosely though, on general principles and nothing solid.

Again, you do make the same (good) point regarding the stereo separation with the BL7.2 as the A9. Noted and appreciated.

Regarding the BL9. Its not that I want them per se. They sound very nice, but the Pentas are smoother. I think the BL9 plays a lot louder, but they are more "hard" and metallic. Well, I guess in a way that the entire new B&O lineup follows this concept. More dry and hard sound compared to the older stuff.

What I want is the greatest "bang for the buck". The option of pushing up the volume with 90s techno like Steve Stoll, Tresor releases and Beroshima (to name examples), and make the windows shake without any distortion, and at the same time be able to enjoy jazz on low level or just some soft background music.

And considering that the BL7.1/2 is so much more powerful with the ICE amplifiers.... Thats whats intriguing me to play with a setup with them.

I would love to convince the dealer to take two A9s and two BL7.2 and come home to me, but I am not sure they are willing to do that.

In general I have a really good deal on second hand BL7.2. About 310GBP each, so it is not terribly expensive to give them a go.

Thanks Martin for your time and thoughts.

Please add more if you think of something :)

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sat, Dec 5 2015 11:01 AM

Keep the Pentas - very easy to listen to - your ears get used to sound and your auditory memory is short. Your set up was good when you bought it - look at servicing what you have and just enjoy the music and programmes you listen to.

Peter

Thefutureofmusic
Not Ranked
Spain
Posts 36
Bronze Member

Peter thanks for your opinion,

So you are basically saying, if it aint broken dont change it ;) Or more like, if it is a little broken make a service but dont change it all  :D

But all the Pentas aside, I can move them to another room.

And still want something new and cool in the livingroom.

Are there no one in this forum whom have heard to A9s connected as a stereosystem?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS