Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Speakers and Room Size

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 917
Bronze Member
Andrew Posted: Sat, Dec 5 2015 12:14 PM

Hi I had a pair of Pentas in my flat and they were in a fairly large room with high ceilings and sounded great, I took them to my bungalow intending to have a listening room in my study which is much smaller with lower ceilings and they sounded great there but I couldn't play them loud as too close and way to loud for the room. I was lucky enough to get a pair of BL8000 very cheaply and they sound much better in the smaller room so will be taking the pentas back to the flat this weekend

Has anyone else noticed a big difference in performance based on room size? I know that when i had BL4000s in the flat I was disappointed with their performance and the Penta's blew them away, I am now wondering if it was just the size of the room and wether or not I should get another pair of BL4000 for the sitting room or BL6000? In that room they will only be used as background music instead of having music come through the BV8. I guess I could always try but wanted to see if others had had similar experiences.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

That is why I (and a lot others) allway say: 'try the speakers at your own place', when being asked is this or that speaker good for me....

But generally no one can expect a 'small' speaker to give him the same (good) experience as a 'bigger one' in a big room and vice versa.

Much of the disagreement about, whether this or that speaker is good (!), comes from the fact that people are listening to the speakers in different rooms. But not only the size of the room matters - listening position, furniture, carpets, listening preferences etc all have an influence.

P.S. Maybe that will change a bit in the future, when we see (more) speakers with 'Room Compensation' from B&O.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sat, Dec 5 2015 2:23 PM
I had my Beolab 1s in one room of my house. I brought a pair of Beolab 9s home to try out and set them up next the 1s. The 9s sounded much better so they were purchased. The 1s were moved to a different location. The new location was a smaller room, but one with a ceiling around 20 feet high at it's highest point as opposed to around 9 feet in the first room. I was amazed how much better the 1s sounded in that room.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS