Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Best way to connect BeoLab 3's to Mac or Airport express

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Severed_Hand_of_Skywalker Posted: Sat, Dec 5 2015 6:21 PM

I have a pair of Beolab 3's I'd like to use on my Mac. I currently have 2 Powerlink to RCA cables also.

Preferably I would like to connect the BeoLab 3's to an Airport express to make them wireless. How would I have to go about this? I assume I need a DAC that has RCA and outputs to optical to go to the Airport Express.

Alternatively I could also hook them up directly to the Mac through a USB port. Would I again just need a DAC that has RCA and USB input?

If this is the case can anyone recommend a good DAC?

--

BeoLab 18's. Beolab 3's. A8. A9. A2. H7.

Would something as simple as this work? 

Hooked up to the optical port on airport express  

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?id=pcat17071&st=optical+audio+to+rca+converter

--

--

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

I'd go for this:

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/D1-24-Bit-DAC

But you should know, that Mac El Capitan currently has some severe problems with USB audio.

Hopefully they will get that sorted out soon (?).

If you are on a previous OS version, it's plug'n'play.

P.S. The D1 has an 'optical in', that you could use untill Apple wakes up.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

If you want to go wireless, you might also consider the B1 from Audioengine (see homepage and reviews).

This is an excellent bluetooth receiver.

If your Airplay (i.e. network) is ok, why not think of using the Playmaker instead of an APE/external DAC combo?

You should still be able to find the Playmaker second life.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Thanks for the suggestions. It seems that if I already have an Airport express hooking it up to the Mac through USB will be more limiting and cost about $200.

Same with the playmaker. It would really result in the same thing as the airport express but at a much higher cost.

I'm still leaning towards an Optical to RCA converter with the optical cable coming from the output of the airport. Is there any reason this wouldn't work or result in poor quality audio?

--

Thanks for the suggestions. It seems that if I already have an Airport express hooking it up to the Mac through USB will be more limiting and cost about $200.

Same with the playmaker. It would really result in the same thing as the airport express but at a much higher cost.

I'm still leaning towards an Optical to RCA converter with the optical cable coming from the output of the airport. Is there any reason this wouldn't work or result in poor quality audio?

--

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS