Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

What hifi likes the A6

rated by 0 users
This post has 58 Replies | 0 Followers

Sibbi
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 87
Bronze Member
Sibbi Posted: Wed, Dec 16 2015 11:07 AM

http://www.whathifi.com/bo/beoplay-a6/review

And they do not say that it is nice but to pricey.

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Wed, Dec 16 2015 12:17 PM

A good review overall!

Graham

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Great review Yes - thumbs up

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

badgersurf
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Gold Member

Looks like they were not that impressed with the BeoMusic app though:

"It works fine, but it’s too ordinary – when you’re spending £800 on a speaker you want something slick and nice to use. Its plain blue interface looks unfinished (in a way, we almost hope it is) and scrolling through a 3000-song music library takes a while.

The bottom line: it needs to be better."

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

badgersurf:

Looks like they were not that impressed with the BeoMusic app though:

"It works fine, but it’s too ordinary – when you’re spending £800 on a speaker you want something slick and nice to use. Its plain blue interface looks unfinished (in a way, we almost hope it is) and scrolling through a 3000-song music library takes a while.

The bottom line: it needs to be better."

I guess, that will be a matter of taste.

I like the 'plain blue interface' and am happy, that B&O did not go for the candy-like kind of interface, that you may find elsewhere.

But the reviewer is right - probably not the best interface if your main usage of the A6 is DLNA-based streaming from a big local library.

However, how many A6 owners are using it that way?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Wed, Dec 16 2015 3:28 PM

Millemissen:

But the reviewer is right - probably not the best interface if your main usage of the A6 is DLNA-based streaming from a big local library.

I know I, for one, for the A6 and Essence, will be using it mainly to explore a DLNA library. I do hope B&O are investing as many resources into the BeoMusic App as they are in other areas of development. Especially since Beomusic is the key to operating the majority of their audio products (A9, A6, Essence). Not including the Moment, but you can also say that Beomusic is a component of the Moment's operational interface as well.

Sal:

Millemissen:

I know I, for one, for the A6 and Essence, will be using it mainly to explore a DLNA library. I do hope B&O are investing as many resources into the BeoMusic App as they are in other areas of development. Especially since Beomusic is the key to operating the majority of their audio products (A9, A6, Essence). Not including the Moment, but you can also say that Beomusic is a component of the Moment's operational interface as well.

Their problem is price and you are just reinforcing that fact. The money you spent on an essence you could have gotten an iMac and used that to interface the hell out of all sorts of things.  

Shame, the A6 seems ok for some people but it's price is 30% too high. Guess that's why B&O finds themselves in such a troubling financial situation. 

--

BeoLab 18's. Beolab 3's. A8. A9. A2. H7.

badgersurf
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Gold Member

Severed_Hand_of_Skywalker:

Sal:

Millemissen:

Their problem is price and you are just reinforcing that fact. The money you spent on an essence you could have gotten an iMac and used that to interface the hell out of all sorts of things.  

Shame, the A6 seems ok for some people but it's price is 30% too high. Guess that's why B&O finds themselves in such a troubling financial situation. 

You could get an iMac and have a screen in your room and have it looking like an office, at least the A6 blends in more to its surroundings. There is no way my wife would let me get away with an screen in the living room where as the A6 I could get passed her.

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Wed, Dec 16 2015 4:29 PM

Had another look at the A6 in the local store today and pretty my wife was convinced we should get one. To the point of asking about the colours of stitch work on the fabric. And it sounded great too.

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Wed, Dec 16 2015 6:21 PM

Severed_Hand_of_Skywalker:

Currently I have a Mac Mini running headless as a server (doing many more things than just being a music server). I'm going to be porting the server over to a "cheesegrater" Mid 2010 Mac Pro and use the 5 internal drive bays for storage and other duties. (I SOOO wanted to post int he other thread about Apple, but didn't because I could ramble on and on about Apple, and what I think of them. I used to be a fanboy, now I'm just a fan).

So I could have done exactly as you said, but I didn't. I wanted to have no screens in my listening area other than my phone, and I didn't want to be beholden to a mouse, or a "classic" remote for the lack of a better word. I liked the elegance of the Essence remote, and the fact that the only thing in front of me when I start to listen to a piece of music are the speakers. I hit a button on the essence remote and it begins to play. If I don't like the song, I pull out my phone, which is always with me, change the song, and move on. 

The problem with price plagues most of B&O's offerings, but we're talking about Beomusic here. I would imagine that making software enhancements which improve behavior of products and user satisfaction pay way more dividends than the cost of R&D to kick out more products. 

badgersurf:
You could get an iMac and have a screen in your room and have it looking like an office, at least the A6 blends in more to its surroundings. There is no way my wife would let me get away with an screen in the living room where as the A6 I could get passed her.

Get a new or old Mac mini and stick it in the closet or hook it to the TV and hide it in the media cabinet, your wife will never see it. You'll get 100x more features for half the price.

--

BeoLab 18's. Beolab 3's. A8. A9. A2. H7.

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Wed, Dec 16 2015 8:36 PM

This discussion about Apple minis in cupboards etc doesn't seem to relate to the thread!

"Verdict

If you’ve got almost a grand to spend and are after a very good sound and the simplicity and convenience of a one-box, it’s the BeoPlay A6 (alongside the Mu-so) you should be looking at.

It’s stylish, sounds as good as it looks, and although we’d prefer more substantial controls and a better app, it’s a job well done in our eyes. We want one and think you will too."

That's " simplicity"!

As I said , my wife acknowledged the great sound and wanted to know more about the fabric!

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Wed, Dec 16 2015 9:20 PM

Good review!

This thred is yet another example of why I tend to stay away these days - mention absolutely anything at all and within seconds an Evangelist will pop up from somewhere telling me I want an Apple instead! "I really fancy a chocolate éclair"! "No sir, what you really need is an Apple"!Angry

It is really, really wearisome and there surely must be more than me here that is absolutely sick to the back teeth of it!

Ban boring signatures!

tobeyone
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 125
Founder
tobeyone replied on Wed, Dec 16 2015 9:30 PM

Puncher:

Good review!

This thred is yet another example of why I tend to stay away these days - mention absolutely anything at all and within seconds an Evangelist will pop up from somewhere telling me I want an Apple instead! "I really fancy a chocolate éclair"! "No sir, what you really need is an Apple"!Angry

It is really, really wearisome and there surely must be more than me that is absolutely sick to the back teeth of it!

Entirely agree!!

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Wed, Dec 16 2015 9:37 PM

Or Simonbeo, for £800 you could... get a pair of B&W CM1 and a £200 Amp for a PROPER HiFi sound that would knock the A6 all the way to China!

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Wed, Dec 16 2015 9:42 PM

In all fairness Puncher it's simply because these products are designed to work well with Apple products and secondly, the majority use a smartphone as the source of their music and you are no doubt aware that in 2015, there are really only TWO smartphones that outsell and indeed outperform the market - the two being Samsung Galaxy S6 and iPhone 6 AND the most stable mp4 player in existence in reality is iTunes so of course, Apple is going to get a mention.

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Wed, Dec 16 2015 9:44 PM

Paul W:

Or Simonbeo, for £800 you could... get a pair of B&W CM1 and a £200 Amp for a PROPER HiFi sound that would knock the A6 all the way to China!

Please make everyone's Christmas and leave! I really don't understand why you come here, if you're not being one of the Evangelists I mention, or stringing long sentences of designer brand names together you are spouting stuff like this - It would be presumptuous of me to say that no one here is interested in your fickle opinions but I'm certain that I'm not.

Ban boring signatures!

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Wed, Dec 16 2015 10:05 PM

Or maybe Paul, in all fairness, could invest in a ticket that takes him to China!

we are looking for a one piece speaker which fits into decor unobtrusively but we should spend it on a bunch of bits by b&w which we've got to design the decor around?

why?

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Wed, Dec 16 2015 10:08 PM

Simonbeo:

Or maybe Paul, in all fairness, could invest in a ticket that takes him to China!

we are looking for a one piece speaker which fits into decor unobtrusively but we should spend it on a bunch of bits by b&w which we've got to design the decor around?

why?

Come on chaps. Paul has never got over his sticking Century doors from 15 years ago. 

Graham

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Wed, Dec 16 2015 10:11 PM

The doors on our Century have worked since 1997. 

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Wed, Dec 16 2015 10:11 PM

vikinger:

Simonbeo:

why?

Come on chaps. Paul has never got over his sticking Century doors from 15 years ago. 

Graham

That's not an excuse for boring everyone me rigid!

Ban boring signatures!

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Wed, Dec 16 2015 10:15 PM

Puncher:

vikinger:

Simonbeo:

why?

Graham

True. 

This is starting to read like the Wedthred, but with products allowed.

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Wed, Dec 16 2015 10:19 PM

vikinger:

Puncher:

vikinger:

Simonbeo:

why?

Graham

True. 

Surprise - we should have a chrimbo wedthred next week for old times sake. Anyhoo, back to the A6Embarrassed.................

Ban boring signatures!

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Wed, Dec 16 2015 10:25 PM

Puncher:

vikinger:

Puncher:

vikinger:

Simonbeo:

why?

Graham

True. 

Surprise - we should have a chrimbo wedthred next week for old times sake. Anyhoo, back to the A6Embarrassed.................

Good review of what looks like a really good product! 

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Wed, Dec 16 2015 10:27 PM

Puncher, next Wednesday you need to start a thread in the normal forum again. Some people might need a message, assuming they remain forum members.

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Wed, Dec 16 2015 10:29 PM

Hmm... I'm on the fence here, but here goes...

A6. I have one at home. Sounds amazing, does exactly what I want it to do (plays my Deezer via Bluetooth, of which I have Premium Account for a little while longer as I bought a Moment) and looks okay to me (wife hates it). It ticks all my boxes.

If you're a purist on the sound, go buy some wooden boxes and an amp. Great. Bully for you. I'm happy you're happy. However, it's not that simple. There's something called personal taste...

If I want to go from 0-60 in 3 seconds there's a Nissan GT-R which can do that....  I can also do that for a lot more money in a Ferrari....

Would I rather do that in a Nissan, or a Ferrari?  For me I prefer the design, styling, history, heritage and prestige of the prancing horse. It makes me happy. Call me shallow - I don't really care.  However, some would say "you idiot - you can do 0-60 for half the price in the Nissan!!".  Yes, I could, but I don't want to. I don't want exhausts the size of sewage pipes and a plastic dashboard with a readout telling me how many G's I'm pulling whilst going round a corner. I don't care.

That's my choice. It's my money. I've earned it. I'll spend it as I wish.

If people want to spend their money on an A6, why not?  For the money there's probably better - but it's not B&O, and if you're into B&O that's why you're here.. surely?

Lee

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Wed, Dec 16 2015 10:31 PM

vikinger:

Puncher, next Wednesday you need to start a thread in the normal forum again. Some people might need a message, assuming they remain forum members.

See PM, other regulars invited.

Ban boring signatures!

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Wed, Dec 16 2015 10:34 PM

9 LEE:

If people want to spend their money on an A6, why not?  For the money there's probably better - but it's not B&O, and if you're into B&O that's why you're here.. surely?

Lee

Unless your Century doors stuck 15 years ago!

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Wed, Dec 16 2015 10:40 PM

9 LEE:

Hmm... I'm on the fence here, but here goes...

A6. I have one at home. Sounds amazing, does exactly what I want it to do (plays my Deezer via Bluetooth, of which I have Premium Account for a little while longer as I bought a Moment) and looks okay to me (wife hates it). It ticks all my boxes.

If you're a purist on the sound, go buy some wooden boxes and an amp. Great. Bully for you. I'm happy you're happy. However, it's not that simple. There's something called personal taste...

If I want to go from 0-60 in 3 seconds there's a Nissan GT-R which can do that....  I can also do that for a lot more money in a Ferrari....

Would I rather do that in a Nissan, or a Ferrari?  For me I prefer the design, styling, history, heritage and prestige of the prancing horse. It makes me happy. Call me shallow - I don't really care.  However, some would say "you idiot - you can do 0-60 for half the price in the Nissan!!".  Yes, I could, but I don't want to. I don't want exhausts the size of sewage pipes and a plastic dashboard with a readout telling me how many G's I'm pulling whilst going round a corner. I don't care.

That's my choice. It's my money. I've earned it. I'll spend it as I wish.

Lee

Doesn't sound very "on the fence" to me!Laughing

Ban boring signatures!

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Wed, Dec 16 2015 10:53 PM

Puncher:

Fair point...  I meant I was on the fence with the whole Apple/Samsung debate really - but it came out as clear as a glass of mud. Sorry...

Of course I'm pro-B&O, of that I make no bones. However, I'll call a stinker a stinker. The man* who sanctioned the HDR1 needs a slap round the head, the man* who gave the green light to the BeoCom 5 needs one poking up his nose, and the man* who decided the 7-32 and 7-40 Mk1 and Mk2's didn't need any HDMI's needs both dropping on his nether regions...

* or woman

I'd also like to place the Serenata Mobile in there, and also the HDR2.  However, this is about the A6 - which isn't bad at all !!!!

Lee 

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Wed, Dec 16 2015 10:59 PM

Lee, is the A6 in your house perchance the one a poster on here traded for a pair of older Beolabs when he discovered he couldn't get on with them?

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
I really thought this would be a product much more appreciated by females, but like simonbeo my wife doesn't like it. And Lee's wife!

All that fabric and cushions it was a no brainier. I took my Beolit 15 to a do with hairdressers, and they all complained it was too girly, and not B&O enough[:\'(]

We can't win

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Wed, Dec 16 2015 11:19 PM

9 LEE:

Puncher:

Fair point...  I meant I was on the fence with the whole Apple/Samsung debate really - but it came out as clear as a glass of mud. Sorry...

Of course I'm pro-B&O, of that I make no bones. However, I'll call a stinker a stinker. The man* who sanctioned the HDR1 needs a slap round the head, the man* who gave the green light to the BeoCom 5 needs one poking up his nose, and the man* who decided the 7-32 and 7-40 Mk1 and Mk2's didn't need any HDMI's needs both dropping on his nether regions...

* or woman

I'd also like to place the Serenata Mobile in there, and also the HDR2.  However, this is about the A6 - which isn't bad at all !!!!

Lee 

Totally agree - I'll add that I wasn't a fan of the Beosound 5 (for that price) or the Moment (because it's a cheapo android tablet in a, non too elegant, aluminium/wood frock) however, the A6 along with the A9 serve a need and they will be an exact fit for some people, they are both good looking, good performing products for a secondary music room.

Love most of the speakers (with the obvious exception of the BL18's)Angry

Suffice to say, after 32 years I've just spent £45 on spares to service my CD50/BM5000/RL60's. They'll be joined by a Cambridge network streamer to handle the "modern" stuff while my BG5000 & BC5000 retire to the loft (I can't bring myself to get rid)! I'm also selling my BL6000's to keep my RL60's.

I don't mind rational discussions/arguments where, in a particular instance, a network server might be offered as an alternative, or a streaming device may be better suited but it always, always has to be a "you know who" product  with choirs, hymns and sacrifices at the alter of "A"!

Ban boring signatures!

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Wed, Dec 16 2015 11:40 PM

Puncher:

9 LEE:

Puncher:

* or woman

Lee 

Totally agree - I'll add that I wasn't a fan of the Beosound 5 (for that price) or the Moment (because it's a cheapo android tablet in a, non too elegant, aluminium/wood frock) however, the A6 along with the A9 serve a need and they will be an exact fit for some people, they are both good looking, good performing products for a secondary music room.

Love most of the speakers (with the obvious exception of the BL18's)Angry

Suffice to say, after 32 years I've just spent £45 on spares to service my CD50/BM5000/RL60's. They'll be joined by a Cambridge network streamer to handle the "modern" stuff while my BG5000 & BC5000 retire to the loft (I can't bring myself to get rid)! I'm also selling my BL6000's to keep my RL60's.

I don't mind rational discussions/arguments where, in a particular instance, a network server might be offered as an alternative, or a streaming device may be better suited but it always, always has to be a "you know who" product  with choirs, hymns and sacrifices at the alter of "A"!

A Cambridge streamer? The brand owned by Richer Sounds (called something rude by some poster in another old thread........)

I have a Cambridge BlueRay player.... Superb equipment!

As for 'A' Many years ago I kept using one of their computers when everyone else had gone for IBM/Windows. In a strange sort of way I get really annoyed that 'A' got rediscovered and I suddenly find myself no longer using a niche product.

Graham

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Thu, Dec 17 2015 12:03 AM

In truth its not even that the products are over-hyped and made in ChinaBig Smile thats gets my goat, its the people that feel the need to wave them in your face and feel obliged to tell you about them no matter how unprompted or how much you yawn while they talk! 

Ban boring signatures!

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Dec 17 2015 7:17 AM
Puncher:

Ban boring signatures!

Just regulars?
Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Thu, Dec 17 2015 7:20 AM

Duels:
Puncher:

Ban boring signatures!

Just regulars?

Of course not, all are welcome, the more the merrier (bring your own beer)!Big Smile

Ban boring signatures!

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
Posts 1,404
Bronze Member
BenSA replied on Thu, Dec 17 2015 9:30 AM

So a great review and some people still aren't happy. I am also not too happy with the Apple references in every thread.  As far as I am concerned Apple has killed music and the Hi-Fi systems. I don't own any Apple products and I don't intend to. The reason I own B&O is because I don't want to do everything the majority does......there's nothing niche about Apple. The review gives 5 stars to the A6 for everything, be happy about. Such negativity.....its getting boring. 

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,417
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Thu, Dec 17 2015 11:14 AM
I'm pretty sure that for 800 £ you can get a used Devialet Phantom.
Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Thu, Dec 17 2015 11:39 AM

BeoGreg:
I'm pretty sure that for 800 £ you can get a used Devialet Phantom.

I give up - I really do! If I'm ever in the market for something that resembles part of a food processor I'll certainly give it a closer look!

Please refer to my new thred - "Things you can do with £800 rather than buy an A6" !!

Ban boring signatures!

Page 1 of 2 (59 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS