Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

beolab 5 thoughts

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

cameron11
Not Ranked
Posts 31
Bronze Member
cameron11 Posted: Sat, Dec 19 2015 2:41 PM

I need talking into buying some beolab 5’s over a setup of anthony gallo 3.5’s

reasons for not buying the beolabs

My living rooms not big and has wooden floors

The cost of replacement electronics in beolab chassis

Design may be replaced soon (so how long will parts be available)

Live in an apartment, so speakers might be overkill

What do people think?

thanks

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sat, Dec 19 2015 2:49 PM

I tried Beolab 5s twice in my house and chose not to buy. I think part of the reason they did not seem to work for me was I had to place them close to the wall. I somewhat think perhaps the room I had them in was not large enough for them to sound their best. Both were up against a wall, one was in a corner, and the other one was in a 45 degree corner. However, I still want a pair...LOL

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

markiedee
Top 200 Contributor
UK
Posts 425
Bronze Member
markiedee replied on Sat, Dec 19 2015 2:49 PM

I love the beolab 5s and if i were in a position to acquire a pair i would get them over the gallos. I read that you say you live in an apartment have you no considered the beolab 20s they also sound incredible and would be a very good second under the lab5.

Beoplay A2

Doonesbury
Top 500 Contributor
Landisville, PA, USA
Posts 168
Bronze Member

I recall reading a review of one of the smaller Gallo speakers.  What struck me was the philosophy of dispensing with a cross-over network!  Given the fact that the BeoLab speakers have electronic cross-overs, this allows them to have a much better frequency and phase response due to equalization in the cross-over network.  The cross-over network also protects the tweeters from being overdriven.  Also, keep in mind that the BeoLab speakers have their own amplifiers while the Gallos do not.  The BeoLab speakers also have the ALTs which evenly distribute the high frequencies.

If you're concerned about the size of the BL 5s for your abode and price is not the concern, I suggest getting BeoLab 3s.  There are quite a few available used so you could have a pretty good surround sound system with (4) or (6) + a center speaker.  If you'd like more bass than what the BL3s provide, get an active subwoofer to go along with them.

Regarding replacement parts, I know what you mean.  I bought my BL5s new, and there was an electronics problem (specifically, the PIN couldn't be re-entered after the units were unplugged due to lightning storm).  However, they were under warranty, so the dealer had a technician come to my house to fix them on the spot.  He also made sure the PIN system was turned off on both.  I think this repair is why the dealer gave me a deal on getting (2) BL3s and a BL 7-4 to have a surround sound system.

I guess I wouldn't be too concerned with something like home speakers.  It's not like a car with moving parts that is used in a variety of environments.  The speakers I have seem to have rubber (not foam) surrounds so there should be no degradation there.  Also B & O seem to have stringent advanced aging testing to make sure things don't break before they are mass-produced (at least regarding speakers!).

D

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 999
Bronze Member

I recommend that you do not buy the BL5. I had them for 6 years in two different rooms. Don't get me wrong they were the best I'd ever owned but:

They went shrill in the tweeter at medium to high volumes. 

Lack of detail at low volume when listening late at night.  

Bass adaptation was too boomy in first room and underpowered in second room. 

DAC can't play high resolution music as limited to 88.1kHz. 

I also tried room equalisation which brought phenomenonal improvements. Future speakers should have room EQ. The room is 99% of the problem. I would wait for the smaller successors to the Beolab 90 due out in the next 12-24 months. 

Present: BL90, Core, BL6000, CD7000, Beogram 7000, Essence Remote.

Past: BL1, BL2, BL8000, BS9000, BL5, BC2, BS5, BV5, BV4-50, Beosystem 3, BL3, DVD1, Beoremote 4, Moment.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS