Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Connecting Beogram 7000 to Beomaster 7000

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Annon
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Annon Posted: Fri, Jan 22 2016 4:09 PM

I've been using my Beogram 7000 connected to my Beomaster 4500 for the past few months with no issues.

I just got ahold of a Beomaster 7000, and when connected to that, it sounds waaaaay too loud and distorted. Almost like it is getting pre-amped twice?

The Beomaster 7000 came with a Beogram 5005, which does not have the same issue.

Any ideas?

Dennis
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 627
Bronze Member
Dennis replied on Fri, Jan 22 2016 4:23 PM

Hi and welcome to BeoWorld.

Your BeoMaster 7000 probably has the optional RIAA amplifier built in since the BeoGram 5005 isn't equipped with one. It is possible to take the RIAA  amplifier out of the BeoMaster again but requires a soldering iron and a little knowledge. 

Here is a picture of one of those RIAA amplifiers together with a description of how to install it (click on the picture to zoom in - I have a scanned version if necessary). Simply just do the opposite to uninstall it. I would take the pieces of the old jumpers out if still there and replace them with some new ones if I were to do it. 

/Dennis

Annon
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Annon replied on Fri, Jan 22 2016 4:31 PM

You're right - I just opened up the beomaster and can see that it has the RIAA preamp installed. I can't believe there isn't any way to disable it without removing it? Seems crazy.

Thanks for the info!

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Fri, Jan 22 2016 4:33 PM

I believe your Beomaster has the (quite rare) RIAA preamp option. Try connecting the Beogram to the CD input and see what happens.

edit: I'm late it seems. But if you don't have a CD player, you should be able to simply use the CD input with no changes.

--mika

Annon
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Annon replied on Fri, Jan 22 2016 4:57 PM

Yep, I've got it playing now over the CD input.

I hate to remove the preamp if it is that rare. Maybe I should sell on this Beomaster and get another?

Dennis
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 627
Bronze Member
Dennis replied on Fri, Jan 22 2016 5:15 PM

If you reestablish the original connections at J21, J22 and pin 7 without taking the RIAA amp out, it would probably cause problems, as there would still be power on the RIAA circuit.  

Well, unless you don't know what you are doing, removing the RIAA amp shouldn't cause any damage to either the BeoMaster or the RIAA amp. You could always sell the RIAA amp since you now have a BG7000 and probably won't need it again. Smile

/Dennis

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Fri, Jan 22 2016 5:39 PM

Could one take that card, pair it with a DC power supply, add input/output plugs in a small box, and DIY a small stand alone preamp box?  That's a project I'd like to take on.

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Fri, Jan 22 2016 5:43 PM

Rich:

Could one take that card, pair it with a DC power supply, add input/output plugs in a small box, and DIY a small stand alone preamp box?  That's a project I'd like to take on.

Certainly, but the 28V power supply is quite unusual. There must be better starting points for a DIY preamp, as I believe selling the original B&O add-on board will fetch enough money to buy a ready made standalone solution.

--mika

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Fri, Jan 22 2016 5:51 PM

tournedos:

Rich:

Certainly, but the 28V power supply is quite unusual. There must be better starting points for a DIY preamp, as I believe selling the original B&O add-on board will fetch enough money to buy a ready made standalone solution.

WHAT FUN IS THAT?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS