Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

RX2 Wobble

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

chris3farrell
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
chris3farrell Posted: Mon, Jan 25 2016 2:21 PM

Hello,

I have been trying to adjust my RX2 so it does not wobble and rub. I have been tinkering and have had some success but am not sure how to proceed. I have fully dis-engaged the travel locks and screws, replaced the belt, adjusted the suspension and added a small amount of 2 in1 oil to the spindle shaft. The suspension adjustments seem to have alleviated the rubbing (a low 1/2 second growl on each rotation, not continuous). The sub-platter is still wobbling approx 2mm and I'm not sure what else to do. I have eliminated top platter deformation, since the wobble is apparent with the just the sub-platter installed. Does the RX2 also have a nylon insert that may have been damaged and need to be flipped or replaced? I noticed three screws surrounding the belt motor shaft, are they for making adjustments, or simply holding it in place? Are there other things I can try/re-try? Thank you for any advice! I would love to get this TT spinning wobble free.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Take off the belt rotate the sub platter by hand and find the lowest point, mark it and rotate again, if the lowest point is at the same place on each rotation, the sub platter or the shaft is bend, probably the platter as the shaft doesnt bend easily, The only way to fix it is to take out the sub platter place it in a lathe and carefully try to bend it back, I did this on a BG 6500, took me about 1.5 hours bending back and fore until it run straight within 0.1 mm

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Mon, Jan 25 2016 3:23 PM

If you are able to isolate the problem, i.e., find a defective part, I can probably supply a used replacement.  I have almost an entire RX2 in parts sitting in a box somewhere at the house.

chris3farrell
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member

Thank you. I was able to determine that it was indeed the sub-platter. I don't have access to a lathe, so I found a replacement for short money at a local audio shop and swapped it out. There is still a tiny bit of visible wobble, but it's much better and I can live with it.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Tue, Feb 2 2016 5:42 PM

Congrats.  I have had at least one RX2 for 25+ years.  Great little table.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS