Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Warped records on a Beogram 8000

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

etype76
Not Ranked
Tokyo, Japan
Posts 76
Bronze Member
etype76 Posted: Fri, Jan 29 2016 7:56 AM

I just received a new LP and it is significantly warped. I played it and most of side A was ok but things went a little crazy towards the end! I stopped proceedings at that point. I also heard some strange sounds towards the end of another recent new purchase and wonder if that is warped too. I will certainly return the most recent one. I have a few warpies in my collection and I used to use a Michel clamp to deal with them (on my old deck). Does anyone here use a clamp on a Beogram? I wonder if my aged 20cl is also making these records sound weird. 

Thanks

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Fri, Jan 29 2016 8:11 PM

I never use a record clamp as so many of them are heavy and I don't want that weight on my turntable. The JA Michell clamp you have looks like it is light weight and would probably work well. I can't think of any negative impact of using it. I couldn't say if that clamp would fit a Beogram 8000 though. A badly warped record does definitely present a challenge for the cartridge. It certainly isn't easy on the cartridge suspension and cantilever (another reason to not play the warped ones). Let us know if the Michell clamp works on the Beogram.

-sonavor

etype76
Not Ranked
Tokyo, Japan
Posts 76
Bronze Member
etype76 replied on Sat, Jan 30 2016 4:32 AM

Yes, I wouldn't want to use one of the ones that relies on weight to flatten a record. The Michel is a nice clamp, you basically place a piece of felt on the spindle then the record and then gently screw down the clamp. I tried it on the Beogram 8000 but of course the ribs don't allow the clamp to get a purchase on a flat surface. I tried raising the felt with a piece of cut magic eraser but it just doesn't grip it, no biggie. 

Does Axel in Germany repair suspension or would I have to have the cant and stylus replaced as well? It may also be the temperature that's affecting it as my Beogram is in a corner window and it's freezing at the moment. 

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Sat, Jan 30 2016 5:25 AM

Axel will examine the cartridge and let you know if the stylus and cantilever are okay. If they are, he just repairs the suspension. Otherwise he will give you your options of rebuilding the whole thing.

-sonavor

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Sat, Jan 30 2016 5:55 AM

One thing you might try (before sending off your phono cartridge) is to bump your MMC tracking force up a little when playing your warped records to see if that fixes your problem.

-sonavor

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, Jan 30 2016 6:48 AM

How much is a new record ?

Martin

etype76
Not Ranked
Tokyo, Japan
Posts 76
Bronze Member
etype76 replied on Sat, Jan 30 2016 7:27 AM

Martin, not quite sure what you mean...are you asking about the cost of that particular record? 

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, Jan 30 2016 9:57 AM

Hi there!

You know, I've bought a few LPs recently, and at least two or three were desperately warped.

The new ones (yes, I asked for exchanges) were not much better, so I ended up settling for a trade-off: I asked the seller(s) for the CD versions instead.

No more warps, or clicks and pops for that matter Stick out tongue

Just don't bother. I think that Martin suggests the same : is it worth the hassle when you compare cartridge cost - and the risk of ruining a perfectly good one - and LP cost?

Jacques

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, Jan 30 2016 1:00 PM

Something like that.
As I see it, you are trying different ways to adapt or convert your perfectly functional stereo to work with a defect media.
Would it be particularly difficult or expensive to find a good record ?

Martin

etype76
Not Ranked
Tokyo, Japan
Posts 76
Bronze Member
etype76 replied on Sun, Jan 31 2016 12:47 AM

Ha, I was a bit slow with that one. Good point, replacing the records would certainly be cheaper than doing anything with the cartridge. I suppose I was putting two questions together, one seeing how many of you use clamps on your beograms and the other addressing my niggling curiosity over the suspension in my cart. 

Chartz, I've recently started getting more new records as opposed to used since more and more are becoming available in the soul genre. The particular record in question was Leroy Hutson II, probably the most warped record I've ever laid eyes on! I've sent it back. The other week, I got Gloria Scott: What Am I Gonna Do? They had 2 versions, both new, one costing more than the other with a "Universal music Free Soul" sticker on it. That's the one I got, perfect. I wonder if the cheaper one was just pressed from a CD or something. There's still a quality control issue with new pressings as the manufacture is so dispersed using probably original machinery. 

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

I always use 2 different BGs one for the old, a little warped or lightly damaged records this BG with a MMC4 , and one for new or as new records with a MMC2 cartridge, I never use clamps or anything not recommended by B&O originally, I also keep my BGs as original as possible. 

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS