Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beomaster 900

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

hansano
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
hansano Posted: Tue, Jul 3 2012 12:01 PM

Dear users,

recently bought a Beomaster 900M tuner with corresponding speakers. Scale lamps had to be replaced. Now the stereo lamp comes on when playing from external source via phono in. In FM mode the stereo lamp does not come on at all. 

I suspect either the corresponding circuit to have a loose contact. I'm not sure that my radio contains the stereo decoder (B&O multiplex adaptor). Can anyone give information on whether the 900M has the decoder by default (I found conflicting information on the internet)?

Otherwise tips for where to look at the circuit?

I attached a pictures of the back.

Regards,

Jakob

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Jul 3 2012 12:26 PM

Only the very latest (if any at all, I'm not sure) Beomaster 900s left the factory with the MPX (Stereo-) decoder installed.
It was an optional extra to be fitted at a repairshop. Most repairshops fitted the little label that came with the decoder to
the backside of the set to indicate one has been fitted, but not all and many labels will have fallen off by now anyways.
The way to tell for sure if the decoder is present is to slide out the chassis from the cabinet, just an inch or so will do.
Look down from above and see if you can see the rear edge of two circuit boards, sitting close together, one longer than the other.
The long one is the amplifiers, the short one (if present) is the decoder. If no decoder is fitted, there will just be an open space
in its place.

Can you tell if the Beomaster actually plays stereo (compare wth the mono button in and out) ?

Martin

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member

Dillen:
Only the very latest (if any at all, I'm not sure) Beomaster 900s left the factory with the MPX (Stereo-) decoder installed.
It was an optional extra to be fitted at a repairshop.

Interestingly, all three of mine had it. Perhaps it depends on the time and the original destination - if at the time of sale the country had already regular stereo programming, it might have been counterproductive to sell radios that obviously were meant for stereo reproduction without the actual capability.

Anyway, as I just have a 900K open for repair, here's a pic. The decoder is the smaller circuit board on the left:

As this is type S290 (apparently an early series piece?), I'll include a closeup of the rear panel as a bonus to you Martin Smile

--mika

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Jul 3 2012 4:10 PM

Very nice.  Laughing
Thanks, Mika.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS