Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beosound 3 radio not operating

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

thorne
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 315
Bronze Member
thorne Posted: Tue, Feb 9 2016 10:07 PM

Hi

The radio button does not respond any more.  This is my second top plate.  All other buttons function.  As I use it solely for radio, it is now virtually useless.  Are there any magic tricks to get it going again, or if not roughly how much will it cost to get it repaired?

bidstonhall
Top 200 Contributor
Thailand 5560 miles from Struer
Posts 363
Bronze Member

There was a great post in September from Jaques who took his apart with good results, look it up

thorne
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 315
Bronze Member
thorne replied on Wed, Feb 10 2016 5:17 PM

Sounds interesting, providing any work is not too complicated, but I can't find the post. Could you provide a link?

bidstonhall
Top 200 Contributor
Thailand 5560 miles from Struer
Posts 363
Bronze Member

So today I gop angry, and took a Torx screwdriver size 10 and took the 4 screws in the bottom off, and took the battery out.

Then I lifted one side of the toppanel with my fingers only, and saw a large metal spring inside, retaining the touch panel on the top.

I inserted the Torx 10 screwdriver, and pressed slightly on one leg of the big spring/clamp, and it came off, and this also loosened the other side, and I could now take the touch panel off, after releasing a very short flat cable tthat comes out of the top panel, and into a socket on a small print board below in the cabinet. Real easy..

The panel is laminated and cannot be serviced, so I placed it on a piece of paper, and sprayed it liberally with Electric contact cleaner for Electronics.

I did that a few times, and turned it around, so the cleaner could soak into the laminated panel, cleaning condensated Water from the air, and eventually a bit of dirt.

Theres a few Places not along the edge, that you also have to spray, and I let it stay for 1 hour. Then sprayed it Again, turned it around and with a piece of kitchen roll paper, I carefully cleaned the edges and the Black plastic underside of the top panel a bit.

Then I held the panel in left hand, lowering the edge of the panel opposite the radio antenna hole, Down, so the very short and thin flec flat cable fron the top panel could be carefully inserted into the socket on the small printboard that sits inside the top of the cabinet itself.

Then I clicked the toppanel back on (the spring can only sit in one way, and holds itself, not being in the way), and clicked it back onto the cabinet.

Then I connected the powercable at the bottom, and secured the 4 torx 10 screws.

Then I connected the mains powersupply, and waited 2 minutes to let it discover power Again. Then I turned it on first time, volume first time, antenna fist time up and Down, and power off!

So, despite everyones experience and costly reairs from B&O, this can be fixed and Work nicely.

The problem is that the laminated top panel is not secures corectly against moisture and condensated Water from normal air, and this is cleaned off with the Electric spray.

No, NeXT time, if this appears Again, I'll disconnect the battery and just spray from above, not taking the top panel off. Not needed really, unless wanting to clean the middle part, which can only be done from the underside of the top panel, in which case, the top panel must be released, but not the short cable.

Voila, I hope this can be a help for all of you Guys and Dolls out there, enjoying your beautifull Beosound 3!

Kind regards,

Jacques Keller, Denmark.

thorne
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 315
Bronze Member
thorne replied on Thu, Feb 11 2016 11:15 PM

Really helpful. Thanks a lot

hcw6424
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member