Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Waiting for my new chair

rated by 0 users
This post has 38 Replies | 0 Followers

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Ordered yesterday, should arrive within 7 days,

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Thu, Feb 11 2016 4:53 PM

very very jealous Smile to me this looks like the perfect chair to enjoy music from ....

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Feb 11 2016 6:03 PM

Very nice indeed!  Glass of wine in one hand, beo-remote in the other.  Just lie back!

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

Lovely chair and worth the wait!

i waited a decade for my dream chair from when I was a design student in the eighties!

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Thu, Feb 11 2016 9:06 PM

Did you go for the Herman Miller or the Vitra version?

I never knew there was an element of snobbery in them.  Apparently the Herman Miller is the most authentic - and the Vitra plays second fiddle, even though it's more expensive!

I managed to get an unused Vitra, with the Ottoman, from a guy on eBay who's partner had bought it for him literally a couple of days before they broke up. He just wanted rid of it, so I got it for £1,200 - along with the receipt for £5,500 from Harrods dated a week earlier!!

I'd always wanted one - and waited a long time for the original.  I'm very excited for you! Smile

Lee

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Thu, Feb 11 2016 9:59 PM

I've had my eye on one of those for a long time as well. The prices are through the roof for an original Eames chair. It is going to look right at home surrounded by your vintage B&O gear. Great purchase.

John

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

9 LEE:
I'd always wanted one - and waited a long time for the original.  I'm very excited for you! Smile

Nothing that sophisticated Lee, I think it is a Chinese knock off, cost delivered to my home USD 690.00 so I dont expect too much from it, a Mexican furniture dealer started to bring them last year. will report when it is here

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Feb 11 2016 11:13 PM

Congratulations! To my eyes this has always been about the most beautiful lounge chair, and such a complete icon of mid-century design. Unfortunately for me, I just don't fit that well in it, it's a bit too short in the back although the seat and ottoman are fine. Hits me at the wrong part of the neck no mater how I play with it, and that was with the Herman Miller one not a knock off. Though there are some knock offs that are quite good, perhaps as good as an original.

I also lust after a Noguchi coffee table, still may go that route eventually.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

hamacbleu
Top 500 Contributor
Québec, Canada
Posts 194
Bronze Member
hamacbleu replied on Thu, Feb 11 2016 11:24 PM

Congrats on your chair !.. I had a passion for this chair and all Eames related things long before my passion for B&O. I'm a purist, so I got the real Herman Miller one, vintage from 1982, in brazilian rosewood.

It's been hard to decide on getting a new one or a vintage one. Don't know after all this time if it was a good choice or not: yes it's beautiful and it has a fabulous value. But no one's allowed to sit in but me (and still)! That's why it's in the bedroom now. Here's my bedroom setup, showing off...

Guillaume

Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
Posts 944
Gold Member

Meanwhile I prefer the Dodo by Cassina

http://www.cassina.com/de/collezione/poltrone-e-divani/k10-dodo

I chose red fabric.

Nearly comfortable as my speedmachine by hpvelotechnik Wink

Peter the biker

Earle
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 223
Bronze Member
Earle replied on Thu, Feb 11 2016 11:50 PM

I think we need a new thread titled "The Chair You Listen Music to" Wink

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

Søren Mexico:

9 LEE:

Nothing that sophisticated Lee, I think it is a Chinese knock off, cost delivered to my home USD 690.00 so I dont expect too much from it, a Mexican furniture dealer started to bring them last year. will report when it is here

Søren Mexico:

9 LEE:

That's a bargain if you're not after the provenance. I have a Vitra chair at work that's £1800 or so but I can understand why you'd get a knock off for a fraction of that. 

My Memphis First is real and goes for 1000 dollars and shares this shortlist of the chairs to own. 

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
Posts 944
Gold Member

Looking at the poster I see many scupltures, but half of them very suitable to sit in.

Second row third from left: That's an exercise to sit really upright

4th from left: many variants at schools, not too bad

Third row:

1st: one of the most comfortable I could sit in

3rd: Not bad, but I couldn't fill it Wink

the Zigzag stool: Rietfeld is an expert for sculptures, which can be used for sitting on or in too (not so comfortable)

4th row: The egg: very nice and cosy

the redblue chair by Rietfeld (here a version 5:1): I tried to read an hour in the original chair, but I prefer Marcel Breuer (got two of them)

5th row: Mies von der Rohe: simple, good looking, but I still prefer Marcel Breuer

Lips: Do they make a good Service to a couple?

Charles Eames: solid lightweight

6th row: Michael Thonet The Kaffeehaus classic and good to sit on.

Peter the biker

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

I was surprised when i finally sat in the Eames chair that it was so comfortable 

I'll post a picture of my listening chair 

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Feb 13 2016 10:03 PM

I have the Saarinen dining chairs and table, the chairs are very comfortable. To my surprise, when I sat in a Womb chair with ottoman, it was perhaps the most comfortable chair I've sat in, it fit me perfectly. I've always wondered about the Ball Chair, I've wanted one of them ever since the TV show The Prisoner, but I've never been able to find one, either real or knockoff, in a store to sit in one to see if I liked it. I finally have enough room for one but refuse to buy one without butt testing it first. Lot of money, even if it's a knockoff, to do that.

Jeff

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Sat, Feb 13 2016 11:38 PM

Jeff:

I have the Saarinen dining chairs and table, the chairs are very comfortable. To my surprise, when I sat in a Womb chair with ottoman, it was perhaps the most comfortable chair I've sat in, it fit me perfectly. I've always wondered about the Ball Chair, I've wanted one of them ever since the TV show The Prisoner, but I've never been able to find one, either real or knockoff, in a store to sit in one to see if I liked it. I finally have enough room for one but refuse to buy one without butt testing it first. Lot of money, even if it's a knockoff, to do that.

http://www.portmeirion-village.com/visit/

http://www.portmeiriononline.co.uk/product/The_Prisoner_Ball_Chair_Globe_Chair_-_Black_with_Blue_Wool

Out of stock, but a replica at £395 rather than the £6500 original.

I've visited Portmeirion several times over the years where The Prisoner was filmed. A mixture of hotel, miniature self catering houses, and 2 dimensional props meant only to be viewed from a distance. All an experiment in picturesque/natural design by architect Clough Williams-Ellis.

Graham

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Feb 14 2016 12:20 AM

Graham, I'm envious you've gotten to go to Portmeirion! I've wanted to go there ever since the show premiered in the late 60's, but it's a tad more difficult to get there from the US. Someday though.

I went to a costume party once dressed as a very convincing No. 2, I had the outfit and the appropriate button and even the scarf. Of course no one recognized me, but even so, going as No. 2 kind of subverts the theme of the party if you are in the know. Subversive costume that.

I still remember Mary Morris playing No. 2, she was terrifying.

Jeff

bidstonhall
Top 200 Contributor
Thailand 5560 miles from Struer
Posts 363
Bronze Member

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/design/why-the-uk-replica-furniture-market-is-about-to-be-hit-by-new-copyright-laws-a6876006.html

Bad news for copies?    

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

The chair came on Monday and after assembling I tried it out, the first impression was good, just sitting in it with my feet up on the ottoman felt OK, but after 1 hour it began to feel uncomfortable, I get the same feeling when sitting a long time in an airplane seat.

The chair is not made for persons my size, 1.9 m and 95 Kg (6´2" , 210 pounds) I like the design though, nice looking chair

My wife like the look and she feels comfortable in it but she is small 1.48 m and 50 Kg (convert it )

I am now trying to return it, this is Mexico so it will probably give some problems even if they promised 7 days free returns. If not possible I will place it in our bed room and get another chair for myself

Here some pics

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

That's a shame after all the anticipation. 

Was it built smaller than a genuine chair?

Cooker
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 116
Bronze Member
Cooker replied on Sun, Feb 21 2016 10:42 AM

Looks to be bigger then original. Usually the angles are all wrong on the reproductions which makes them uncomfortable.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Feb 21 2016 12:08 PM

Hmmm...I replied to this a couple of days ago using the iPhone Beoworld app but it never made it here. What I said was that I have the same comfort issues with the Eames lounge chair as Soren does. I'm not as tall, but I have shorter than average legs and a long torso, which makes for similar issues. First time I noticed this was sitting in a reproduction chair, and I had thought maybe it was the chair not being a close enough copy, but I find I have the same problem on an "official" one at the DWR store near me. Which is disappointing as the chair is such an icon of midcentury design. And I love the look of it.

While at the DWR store I did try a Saarinen womb chair and ottoman, and to my great surprise I found it just about the most comfortable chair I've ever sat in. It looks so minimal that it shouldn't be comfortable but it is, at least to me. Something to try Soren?

Jeff

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Sun, Feb 21 2016 12:21 PM

bidstonhall:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/design/why-the-uk-replica-furniture-market-is-about-to-be-hit-by-new-copyright-laws-a6876006.html

Bad news for copies?    

This looks fairly serious. There's an ad in The Times from a retailer trying to sell Eames chairs and the Jacobsen Swan chairs at bargain prices and confirming that these classic designs are about to go back into copyright so only the manufacturers licenced by the designers estates (like Vitra or Fritz Hansen) will be selling these chairs at about 10 times the reproduction price after April.

Maybe this is the moment to take the plunge with a purchase if those repro warehouses have to clear their stock in a few weeks.

Graham

Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
Posts 944
Gold Member

vikinger:

bidstonhall:

Bad news for copies?    

Maybe this is the moment to take the plunge with a purchase if those repro warehouses have to clear their stock in a few weeks.

Graham

But check first whether the copy has the same quality as the original. I see many copies of the Kandinsky chairs (B3) by Marcel Breuer offered in the bay which are weared down and have a sagging seat.

Peter the biker

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 917
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Tue, Feb 23 2016 3:53 PM

I have a report one and love the look of it, it has got more comfortable the more it has been used. Also have the repro Saarinen table and chairs which I bought on looks - unfortunately though the quality is not as good so I guess it varies dramatically.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

As the Eames lounge chair is made for dwarfs I returned it to Gaia Design, they returned my payment without problems, no questions asked, they even paid the return shipping.
Today I went looking for a new one and in Sears found one that fits me, I hope it will serve me for many siestas.

I checked the chair (and various others) the seller thought I was after something cheap and went on about prices, I told him that the price wasnt important, comfort was. the price range was 150 to 2000 USD, the high priced electric with massage, I nearly went for one of these, but after 5 min of checking I found some failures in the comfort and went on checking not checking the price tag. The seller left me alone midway Smile

Ended up with a manual operated chair, simple mechanics, comfortable sitting and rest positions, foot rest the right height. The biggest problem finding a comfortable chair is my size 1.90 M and 95 Kg few chairs are made for that. The price tag was around USD 400.00 (faux leather)

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Fri, Mar 18 2016 5:54 PM

Lazy boy !

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Fri, Mar 18 2016 5:55 PM

someone must offer a USB charge point and headphone stand on the chair.....

Amazone
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 187
Bronze Member
Amazone replied on Fri, Mar 18 2016 6:36 PM

While the Eames chair is a real design classic, this chair is truly ugly. Hope it is comfortable though.

BeoVision 11-55, BeoLab 8000, BeoRemote One BT, AppleTV 4, 2x BeoPlay A2, BeoPlay A1

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Simonbeo:

Lazy boy !

Mullen Rocker recliner

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Amazone:

While the Eames chair is a real design classic, this chair is truly ugly. Hope it is comfortable though.

I wasnt looking for a showroom piece, but a chair to sit in and use daily. The Eames chair is really beautiful, and I was hoping that I would be able to use it, but no such luck

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Mar 18 2016 10:41 PM

Enjoy it! Many naugas gave their lives and their hides to make it! Big Smile

It sometimes seems that comfort and attractiveness are in inverse proportion to each other in furniture design doesn't  it? I have the same issues you did with the Eames chair, though the Saarinen Womb Chair was very comfortable.

Why does it remind me of an old Rosanne Barr joke, you think you're marrying a man but find out you marred a lounge chair that farts...

Jeff

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Jeff:
Why does it remind me of an old Rosanne Barr joke, you think you're marrying a man but find out you marred a lounge chair that farts...

Yes - thumbs upYes - thumbs upYes - thumbs upYes - thumbs upYes - thumbs up

Cooker
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 116
Bronze Member
Cooker replied on Thu, Apr 7 2016 4:15 PM

hamacbleu:

Congrats on your chair !.. I had a passion for this chair and all Eames related things long before my passion for B&O. I'm a purist, so I got the real Herman Miller one, vintage from 1982, in brazilian rosewood.

It's been hard to decide on getting a new one or a vintage one. Don't know after all this time if it was a good choice or not: yes it's beautiful and it has a fabulous value. But no one's allowed to sit in but me (and still)! That's why it's in the bedroom now. Here's my bedroom setup, showing off...

Guillaume

You can always tell the real thing!!

The way that leather looks is amazing! Yes you made the right choice. Genuine rosewood versions fetch USD$5000+ now. 

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Tue, Apr 26 2016 12:15 PM

I'm liking the idea on this.... just needs developing 

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Tue, Apr 26 2016 12:40 PM

I, too, have the Eames chair. It's a true timeless classic that goes with any style.

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
Posts 672
Bronze Member

Mark:

Is this a special chair for listening to Led Zeppelin recordings backwards (perhaps with a little extra rumble - the source of which is best left unknown)?

Chairs

-geoff

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Tue, Apr 26 2016 4:58 PM

Geoff Martin:

Mark:

Is this a special chair for listening to Led Zeppelin recordings backwards (perhaps with a little extra rumble - the source of which is best left unknown)?

Chairs

-geoff

there's also no place to put you Beer.......

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Tue, Apr 26 2016 4:59 PM

Geoff Martin:

Mark:

Chairs

-geoff

there's also no place to put your Beer.......

Page 1 of 1 (39 items) | RSS