Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolab 18 and Apple

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Spikelet
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
Spikelet Posted: Sun, Feb 21 2016 12:28 PM

Hi, 

New to B&O and this forum. 

I'm considering purchasing a pair of Beolab 18 speakers which the wife has fallen in love with. I currently use a Devialet 250 and various Apple products supplying the stream. 

If I do go for the Beolab 18's how can I stream from say my iMac?  Another option is can I plug a Mac Mini into the Beolab 18's via the optical in and control my music as normal through my iPhone Remote App?

Looking forward to any help and advice. 

Graham

orca99
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member
orca99 replied on Tue, Jan 9 2018 2:19 AM

You can see my experiences in the “Full fat hook-up” thread.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

That’ll be here:

http://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/16933/147742.aspx#147742

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

andy_js
Top 500 Contributor
Englandshire
Posts 223
Bronze Member
andy_js replied on Tue, Jan 9 2018 10:02 PM

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the BeoSound Core (or a used BeoSound Essence MK2).  Both of those would give you Airplay to the BeoLab 18.

Barnetto
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
Barnetto replied on Wed, Feb 28 2018 11:29 PM

Exactly what Core and Essence Mk2 are designed for. 

I have a transmitter 1 which has been very unstable since purchase and is being replaced with an eclipse. 

other,cheaper option is connection hub for s8 (optical or analogue in and powerlink out) but you will need some sort of ir remote to send it volume up and down commands. Old Apple remote (white) would work. 

Beolab 18 (oak, white and walnut), Beolab 19 (white), Beolab 17 (aluminium), Beovision Eclipse 55, Beoplay E8 (charcoal sand), Beoplay H9i (black), a house full of Sonos, Synology NAS, Spotify user.  

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Spikelet,

Welcome to Beoworld!

Another option for wireless streaming from your iMac to the Beolab 18s (much cheaper, but without sacrificing quality) is to get an Apple Airport Express for a wireless link from the iMac via Airplay.

I would then suggest a simple cable connection (analogue audio) from the Airport Express to the speakers so that there is no issue over controlling the volume:-

https://soundsheavenly.com/line-in-connection/minijack-to-beolab-line-in-using-phono-rca-sockets-one-cable-for-two-speakers

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

StKong
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 320
Bronze Member
StKong replied on Fri, Mar 2 2018 7:58 AM

Another option for wireless streaming from your iMac to the Beolab 18s (much cheaper, but without sacrificing quality) is to get an Apple Airport Express for a wireless link from the iMac via Airplay.

Steve, 
What is your take on the DAC in the Airport Express? There have been so many different and often technical write-ups on its quality. Would be interesting to hear you thoughts, you seem to think highly of it. Will a proper audio cable make a 'very' big difference in a setup like the one you are describing?? 
Best regards!
Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi StKong,

I use an Airport Express at home to stream music to my Beomaster 3500 and I am very happy with the results.  I am always open to ideas to improve sound quality, but I just find Airport Express to give good results (for sound quality, wireless coverage and ease of use) at a sensible price.

Poor quality cables can detract from the sound, particularly if you use longer cable lengths.  The aim of good cables should be to have as little impact on the music as possible, whilst giving a secure, reliable connection.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS