Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beomaster 4400 - bringing it back to life

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Wirehead
Not Ranked
Belgium
Posts 10
Bronze Member
Wirehead Posted: Wed, Mar 9 2016 6:19 PM

Hi all,

New to the forum, looks great! 

I have a mint looking Beomaster 4400 that I'm slowly bringing back to life. The previous owner had hacked in another DIN cable (probably to connect it to an external equaliser). In the process of using it, it seems he has blown up the pre-drivers. I already fixed this by removing his hack, and replacing those transistors (5TR112 - 5TR212).

Now the only problem is FM reception. I get white noise. And that's about it...
What I already checked:

-Supply voltage is good (15V) -> even on a scope, no oscillation/ripple to be seen.
-2TR1 looks OK (diode check base to emitter/collector 0,7V in both cases)
-Moving the dial left and right, moves the tuning voltage up and down - I see that at 1R1/1R5
-1TR2; I don't know, measured it with the diode check: 0,9V/1,0V. So it measures like it should, although pretty high. Is this normal for a BF255? Don't have ant spares around.

Anyone can give me some pointers? I have some experience with amps, but FM isn't up my alley yet ;)

Wirehead
Not Ranked
Belgium
Posts 10
Bronze Member
Wirehead replied on Wed, Mar 9 2016 11:21 PM

I suspect the TIS88A's (1TR3 and 1TR4). Getting 14.3 volt at the drain of TR3; 4V at the source; but only 0,4V at the source of TR4; instead of 0,7 in the schematics.

Anyone can chime in on these? Do they frequently fail?

Wirehead
Not Ranked
Belgium
Posts 10
Bronze Member
Wirehead replied on Tue, Mar 15 2016 11:29 AM

Well, it was 1TR2 all along. Measured high as I was thinking in the first place. Replaced it with a fresh (NOS) Siemens BF255. Great reception!

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
Posts 1,502
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Tue, Mar 15 2016 11:45 AM

While I cannot help you on a component level these are a great system and really with your time and effort.

I always enjoy mine.

Keep up the good work !

Wirehead
Not Ranked
Belgium
Posts 10
Bronze Member
Wirehead replied on Tue, Mar 15 2016 5:48 PM

Yes, they are pretty good. Did extensive work on this one, as it's optically in mint condition.

• Recapped where needed with Panasonic EB series (105°C - 10 000 hours) / Philips. Gone are the leaky Roederstein caps.
  • Replaced the LM7815 voltage regulator, as the 15V rail was measuring a little low
  • Calibrated the tuning voltage
  • Realigned the tuner
  • Desoldered all output transistors, measured every single one of them and remounted them with new thermal grease
  • Replaced the pre-driver transistors
  • Replaced the BIAS-trimpots with closed ones
  • Cleaned the front-panel slider-pots with IPA

There's some oxidation on some of the more used knobs, that will be taken care of with a respray. I've got a new preset-window coming in, in the next few days.

She'll be like new! :) ********* - I like fixing these as projects Smile )

***** Edited by moderator Dillen
We kindly ask members to upgrade membership level to minimum silver to place wanted/sales ads.

Wirehead
Not Ranked
Belgium
Posts 10
Bronze Member
Wirehead replied on Thu, Mar 24 2016 2:38 PM

Sorry admin - had no intention of s****** here :) just wanted to post the info in case someone runs into the same issue!

Here's the Beomaster 4400, after respraying the switches and a full teardown and service :) Whistle

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Mar 24 2016 3:20 PM

Very nice, though I do spot an important part missing...  Whistle

Martin

Wirehead
Not Ranked
Belgium
Posts 10
Bronze Member
Wirehead replied on Thu, Mar 24 2016 3:24 PM

You don't say? Wink I recently ordered one on ebay from.. well... you Big Smile haha 

Wirehead
Not Ranked
Belgium
Posts 10
Bronze Member
Wirehead replied on Sat, Apr 16 2016 10:49 AM

Much better Yes - thumbs up

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, Apr 16 2016 12:26 PM

I agree. Smile

Martin

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, Apr 16 2016 3:35 PM

Very nice.

I use mine several hours a day with M70 speakers and those three are excellent hi-fi company... with a MacBook Pro!

Beolab 5000 apart, my favourite B&O amplifier, period.

Jacques

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Sat, Apr 16 2016 9:02 PM

Stunning pictures, that has to be one of the nicest 4400s I have seen.

Congrats and enjoy!

Ben

Wirehead
Not Ranked
Belgium
Posts 10
Bronze Member
Wirehead replied on Thu, May 12 2016 10:42 PM

Just a further heads-up. I decided to replace 5TR112/113 and 5TR212/213 (Both input differential pairs) to lower the DC Offset even further. I used my curve tracer to match 2 pairs of BC546B. I noticed that B&O marks these in the datasheet as "Specially Selected Specimen" - maybe that's what B&O did in the days.

Before the matched pairs, I had 36mV/32mV offset. Not bad, but not great either. I now have 1mV/1.8mV offset. Worth it!

Leif
Top 500 Contributor
Middle Jutland in DK
Posts 130
Gold Member
Leif replied on Sun, May 29 2016 7:49 PM

I know - a little bit late.

But how on earth are the sliders so clean / transparent?

Most of my collection with vertical sliders e.g. BM / BL / BC 3000, 4000, 4400, 5000, 1700, 3500 etc. does suffer from bad looking sliders .

Perhaps (I'm sure) during a lifetime with nicotine air.......

Perhaps, Martin, you can start up a fabrication of them like the preset covers, which indeed look amazing

/Leif

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, May 29 2016 8:26 PM

Patience...  ;-)

Martin

Wirehead
Not Ranked
Belgium
Posts 10
Bronze Member
Wirehead replied on Mon, May 30 2016 6:17 AM

I guess the unit didn't belong to a smoker (almost squeaky clean inside, except for some dust) and it probably didn't sit in the sun :) 

Would be awesome if Martin made these indeed, as they are a bit fragile and really make or break the looks of a unit! :)

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS