Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

What Are You Working On Now

This post has 1,308 Replies | 20 Followers

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Mon, Aug 27 2012 11:02 AM

"It is fylly functional, it just has been stored away for some years now."

Oh, well...

blah-blah and photographs as needed

hemenex
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 569
Founder
hemenex replied on Mon, Aug 27 2012 11:09 AM

Orava:
it just has been stored away for some years now

In salty water ??? Huh?  .......  Stick out tongue

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Mon, Aug 27 2012 12:29 PM

Yea, who knows, bottom plate was pretty rusty.

blah-blah and photographs as needed

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Mon, Aug 27 2012 11:14 PM

Brengen & Ophalen

Menahem Yachad
Top 75 Contributor
Jerusalem, Israel
Posts 1,249
Bronze Member

I've just finished restoring a junkyard BM4000. Some changes are LED's at the ON indicator, and radicator (signal strength meter). Basically a top-down strip and rebuild. Rosewood panels stripped, sanded, steel-wooled, and MinWaxed.

Menahem Yachad
Top 75 Contributor
Jerusalem, Israel
Posts 1,249
Bronze Member

Here's the interior - being that the MJ3001output NPN Darlington transistor is NLA, I found a suitable substitute as the 2N6284. Note the new Piher and Bourns Cermet potis, which replaced all the original burnt-out carbon potis.

And if you're really observant, you can spot a whole bunch of new Ohmite carbon-composition resistors - shiny and new, with a gold band denoting 5% tolerance - these replaced a significant number of the original carbon resistors, which were out-of-their-10% tolerance.

In the output stage, I use carbon-composition resistors, not metal-film, as carbon is much more robust in handling pulses.

Menahem Yachad
Top 75 Contributor
Jerusalem, Israel
Posts 1,249
Bronze Member

Here's the pre-amp PCB - note the Vishay-Dale Metal-film resistors and Wima and Siemens film capacitors, especially selected for the audio path.

Menahem Yachad
Top 75 Contributor
Jerusalem, Israel
Posts 1,249
Bronze Member

And replacing these 2 potis (4.5V tuning voltage adjust) on the underside of the BM, was the trickiest poti replacement I've ever done. These are soldered onto 2 flex-PCB's, but a couple of the pins must be soldered onto one flex-PCB only, without contacting the other flex-PCB!!!

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

MJ3001 here

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 8:05 PM

Brengen & Ophalen

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 8:24 PM

Very nice job on the 4000 Menahem! I'm preparing to do the same job on my 4000 in the coming months.

Smile

Beo4 'til I die!

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Leslie:

Bought a new load of RL and CX speakers that needs refurbishing. One of them is my first RL140's.

These speakers are hugeSurprise The woofers have foamrot and the cloths needs to be replaced.

Gonna start a new thread soon with lots of pictures to show you guys how I'm gonna handle this beastCool

I made a couple of RL 140, wonderful speakers, Be careful when ordering surrounds, I used these perfect fit, the gap in the woofer is very small so be careful when gluing the surrounds and change the caps in the crossovers. I have here 4 pcs. woofers ready to go, with new surrounds if needed

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 8:50 PM

Brengen & Ophalen

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 8:54 PM

Brengen & Ophalen

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Leslie:

Not sure if I'm going to change the caps Soren, out of my knowledge to be honest. Just the refoaming and reclothing adn a bit of cleaning. The surrounds you mentioned on Ebay are quite cheap? I already ordered them via Goodhifi. I just finished to remove the gasket from the woofer. Bloody hell, what a mess.

When I refoamed I got measurements from Good Hifi, totally wrong, check it well, Change caps is easy, just take out the crossovers, get a cap kit from Martin, go to someone who can solder and change the caps, it a 5 min. job, and its worth it. I made one speaker first and tested the one with new caps was much clearer sounding, the other one was like there was a thick blanket covering it.

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 9:14 PM
Leslie:

Not sure if I'm going to change the caps Soren, out of my knowledge to be honest. Just the refoaming and reclothing adn a bit of cleaning. The surrounds you mentioned on Ebay are quite cheap? I already ordered them via Goodhifi. I just finished to remove the gasket from the woofer. Bloody hell, what a mess.

Please change the caps in the RLs, you will be overjoyed with the sound of them.

Changing them is quite easy, we promise!

Beo4 'til I die!

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Evan:
Please change the caps in the RLs, you will be overjoyed with the sound of them.

There you go, change caps,Big Smile 2 generations recommends

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 9:19 PM

Brengen & Ophalen

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Søren Mexico:

Evan:

There you go, change caps,Big Smile 2 generations recommends

Sorry 3 generations, I have grand sons in his ageSmile

Bob
Top 200 Contributor
Charente, France
Posts 418
Bronze Member
Bob replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 10:07 PM

I'm working on formula how to make money (so I can convince Leslie to talk to me Whistle ) he he

No not really - got to many things on the plate, started on BC2200 (for which Martin provided belts and control lights and waiting for Axels's re-tipped cartridge/stylus bought from Soren Hamer  for it to go further), BC 4000 need minor work soon and now I've picked up and tested BC8500 (will need attention later - especially if Leslie finds a glass panel for it)

and about to finish my beloved 3702-6244's when Martin's replacement woofer arrives (other ones has been taken apart and bits will be sold to needy people), while newly purchased American fridge freezer need to be brought inside and fitted (got to replace switches which now be behind it with IF ones - what an excuse to get my Beo 4 light to work Wink  - missus is up for it Whistle)

and lots more - no time to loose here

all the best

bob

Don't worry - be Happy

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 10:10 PM

Brengen & Ophalen

Bob
Top 200 Contributor
Charente, France
Posts 418
Bronze Member
Bob replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 10:24 PM

Leslie:

That's where you've spend all your moneySmile

What money - haven't got any Smile

any luck finding the glass for BC8500 or near to decision on 4500? (got also someone from Sweden wanting one, shall I pass you the details?)

Sometime I have to pinch myself - how did it happened on virtually no budget to collect those things .....

cheers

bob

Don't worry - be Happy

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 10:32 PM

Brengen & Ophalen

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 10:33 PM

Leslie:

Soldering is my expertise Soren, did thousands of soldering PCB's on SMD level most of them using soldering paste using a heatgun, that's not the problem. Will check for the caps but I wonder if it's really necessary to replace, The sound is still amazing! 

Hi Leslie,
I restored one set of RL 140's last year and have a second set I need to do ... but no time right now.  On that first pair, I did everything except a re-cap.  I don't want to get in to that discussion but it wasn't because of any particular restoration philosophy that I didn't re-cap.  I just didn't have caps handy and after I was done, the speakers sounded great so I moved on to my next project.  I plan to redo the caps on the second pair when I get around to them so I can compare.

For me, the biggest problem was putting on a new grill cloth.  The RL 140 has a lot of surface area and I enlisted two people to help me glue the new grill cloth in place (a tacky type glue by the way).  I am interested in watching that part of your restoration so please take some detailed step-by-step pics on that part.  I would like to use a better method on my second set.

The other part I'm sure you are aware of is the tight tolerance on the woofers that you will have to refoam (2 per speaker).  I didn't shim on that first pair and it worked out fine...but I will use shims on my second pair.  Sorry to raise that debate again Smile

-sonavor

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 10:41 PM

Brengen & Ophalen

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 10:42 PM

Brengen & Ophalen

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 10:48 PM

Great, that is the part I really want to learn. My strap areas and the Bang & Olufsen text came out okay in the end but it wasn't  what I would call easy.  I figured there must be a better technique.  I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks,
sonavor

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 10:48 PM

Brengen & Ophalen

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 10:51 PM

uh-oh...I knew I shouldn't have mentioned that topic Embarrassed

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 10:58 PM

Brengen & Ophalen

Bob
Top 200 Contributor
Charente, France
Posts 418
Bronze Member
Bob replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 10:58 PM

Well it'll be nice - I really was good this year Santa Whisper

I don't like owe anyone anything (just in case 3rd and final heart attack get to me sooner than the payment clears Whistle

guy from Sweden (contacted me through ebay wanted BG CD4500 or at least laser unit) was considering to buy my BG CD4500

can you email me quick reference link to production of your replica panels - I seem have difficulties to find it again?

cheers

bob

Leslie:

No money? You think I'm Santa?Big Smile Glasspanel BC8500? No, I don't have any (yet).

I think I already did some business with this "guy" from Sweden, in fact, it's on its wayTravel

Don't worry - be Happy

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 11:03 PM

Brengen & Ophalen

ablaumeise
Not Ranked
Posts 54
Bronze Member

New belts are in. Some things still don't work properly, but the music sounds great. Might be because I don't understand anything they're singing. Big Smile

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

ablaumeise:
New belts are in. Some things still don't work properly, but the music sounds great.

looks fantastic !

BeoNut since '75

Magnus
Not Ranked
Sweden
Posts 7
Bronze Member
Magnus replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 7:31 PM
Aah, a Luxor - my big brother had one of these in the seventies. It even had a kind of touch controls, but not on glass panels. Luxor was a swedish company (just for interest, the company doesn't exist anymore).

/Magnus
Bob
Top 200 Contributor
Charente, France
Posts 418
Bronze Member
Bob replied on Wed, Oct 10 2012 5:35 PM

Just finishing Beovox S3702 - huge thank you to Martin for sourcing out and rebuilding original woofer for me.

cannot wait for the glue on frets to set to have good listen and put them back where they belong - a side of my BC3500!

Whistle

bob

Don't worry - be Happy

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
Posts 1,268
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 3:34 PM

Yuk!

Orava:

"It is fylly functional, it just has been stored away for some years now."

Oh, well...

Olly

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
Posts 1,502
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 3:45 PM

..on a sunken wreck ?

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

I want one like that (Beocord), and I am absolutely convinced that I need itBig Smile

ablaumeise:

New belts are in. Some things still don't work properly, but the music sounds great. Might be because I don't understand anything they're singing. Big Smile

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 4:03 PM

How about that?

Yeah, I know, not B&O. ReVox is my second passion... This is a G36 all valve recorder, half a hundredweight on the scales. No Beocord will take 10.5 cm reels Sad

I do have a Beocord 1500 deLuxe on its way...

Jacques

Page 9 of 33 (1309 items) « First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 Next > ... Last » | RSS