Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Essence Remote with other products

rated by 0 users
This post has 30 Replies | 3 Followers

Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member
Chris Hassell Posted: Sat, Mar 26 2016 8:22 PM

Just wondered if anyone has any stories about using the Essence Remote with other products. The Moment sounds like it works pretty much as an Essence does, but anyone using it in IR mode with a TV, or even as home automation (which seems to be an IR setting available as mentioned here as 'light' mode http://bogo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10014/~/can-i-use-beosound-essence-remote-with-another-bang-%26-olufsen-product%3F).

BeoVision Eclipse 55”, Beolab 18s, Beolab 19s, Beosound 1, Beoplay P2, H3, BeoRemote One IR, BeoRemote One BT, Beoplay S8, Beosound Essence MkII, BeoTime

mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 922
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Sat, Mar 26 2016 8:56 PM
Chris Hassell:

Just wondered if anyone has any stories about using the Essence Remote with other products. The Moment sounds like it works pretty much as an Essence does, but anyone using it in IR mode with a TV, or even as home automation (which seems to be an IR setting available as mentioned here as 'light' mode http://bogo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10014/~/can-i-use-beosound-essence-remote-with-another-bang-%26-olufsen-product%3F).

BV11-46, Beoplay A2, H3 ANC, Beo 4, Beoplay S8, Beosound Essence MkII

I use it in automation setting.

And the IR setting.

Automation by my bed to trigger 'morning' and 'night' buttons.

IR with the moment, works pretty much perfectly. Just triggers last source that was on.. I think. Might just trigger Deezer. But either way. Works like I expected.
beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Sun, Mar 27 2016 2:52 PM

I will add that the Essence remote in IR mode has surprisingly powerful IR blasters. Much more powerful than the week BeoRemote One (even at full IR strength setting for the BeoRemote One). My Essence remote is mounting on the same wall as the IR receiver at opposite ends of the wall and with my obstructions The Essence wall remote gets the IR signal to the receiver with no problem. I find that the BeoRemote One must be pointed directly at the IR receiver. I never had to point the Beo4 so directly.

Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member

Cheers @beojeff you appear to have done some ace stuff with the Essence Remote and BLGW. Does the BLGW support 'if/else' statements? For example you could have the top button on the essence remote turn Hue Lights on, then turn music on if the lights are already on. 

BeoVision Eclipse 55”, Beolab 18s, Beolab 19s, Beosound 1, Beoplay P2, H3, BeoRemote One IR, BeoRemote One BT, Beoplay S8, Beosound Essence MkII, BeoTime

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Sun, Mar 27 2016 10:22 PM

Chris Hassell:

Cheers @beojeff you appear to have done some ace stuff with the Essence Remote and BLGW. Does the BLGW support 'if/else' statements? For example you could have the top button on the essence remote turn Hue Lights on, then turn music on if the lights are already on. 

The gateway does not detect the state of the B&O as a trigger. However, you can build macros for a button to trigger multiple events. The Lutron RadioRa 2 driver, however, CAN be used to trigger events based on the status.

I'm not certain if the Hue driver can trigger events based on a status. The Hue protocol can be quite complex.

beoandy
Not Ranked
sissi not kangaroo
Posts 329
Gold Member
beoandy replied on Sun, Mar 27 2016 11:04 PM

I use two essence remotes to trigger events in the beolink gateway.

I want to switch on the light if i turn the weel right and off if i turn left. This operates quite good.

But Sometimes (about four of ten)  i turn the weel left (Command=STEP_DW) and the essence remote sends a Command=STEP_UP. only by second or third time the essence remote sends the correctly command (Command=STEP_DW.

This is tested with the Monitoring tool of the blgw and on both essence remotes.

Normal 0 21 false false false DE JA X-NONE

Perhaps a software or a hardwareproblem oft the essence remote?

BS Ouverture, BS 9000, AV 9000, Avant 32 DVD, BV9, BV6-22, BS 5, BS 4500, BS 7000, BC 9500, Beo6, BL Penta, F1000, BLGW, etc....

Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member

beoandy:

I use two essence remotes to trigger events in the beolink gateway.

I want to switch on the light if i turn the weel right and off if i turn left. This operates quite good.

But Sometimes (about four of ten)  i turn the weel left (Command=STEP_DW) and the essence remote sends a Command=STEP_UP. only by second or third time the essence remote sends the correctly command (Command=STEP_DW.

This is tested with the Monitoring tool of the blgw and on both essence remotes.

Normal 0 21 false false false DE JA X-NONE

Perhaps a software or a hardwareproblem oft the essence remote?

Hmmm, sounds annoying! Does the gateway recognise each remote separately? I'm thinking is it possible to have a remote in the bedroom (picked up by the BV11) which would do bedroom zone things, then another in the living room (picked up the BV Avant) controlling lights etc. In that zone. 

Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member

beojeff:

Chris Hassell:

The gateway does not detect the state of the B&O as a trigger. However, you can build macros for a button to trigger multiple events. The Lutron RadioRa 2 driver, however, CAN be used to trigger events based on the status.

I'm not certain if the Hue driver can trigger events based on a status. The Hue protocol can be quite complex.

Thanks for the reply. Another question (sorry!).... Does a B&O TV have to be 'on' to detect the IR commands being sent by the Essence Remote (then 'send them on' to the BLGW?

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Mon, Mar 28 2016 3:34 AM

Chris Hassell:

beojeff:

Chris Hassell:

Thanks for the reply. Another question (sorry!).... Does a B&O TV have to be 'on' to detect the IR commands being sent by the Essence Remote (then 'send them on' to the BLGW?

Great question. B&O TVs and music systems are in a "standby" state when they are off. This means that they still accept and pass along IR commands when they are "off." This is a great feature of B&O and well worth the minimal amount of energy used for the "standby" state.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
beojeff:

I will add that the Essence remote in IR mode has surprisingly powerful IR blasters. Much more powerful than the week BeoRemote One (even at full IR strength setting for the BeoRemote One). My Essence remote is mounting on the same wall as the IR receiver at opposite ends of the wall and with my obstructions The Essence wall remote gets the IR signal to the receiver with no problem. I find that the BeoRemote One must be pointed directly at the IR receiver. I never had to point the Beo4 so directly.

The technician advised me that with BROne that it's so powerful that if you use it at full it's too strong. I find the medium setting ok it's still not that snappy. Apparently the ir blaster eye has to be half off and half on the sensor on the product for it to also work better. Strange but I thought I would give you the feedback I received.
Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member

Chris Hassell:

beojeff:

Chris Hassell:

Great question. B&O TVs and music systems are in a "standby" state when they are off. This means that they still accept and pass along IR commands when they are "off." This is a great feature of B&O and well worth the minimal amount of energy used for the "standby" state.

[/quote]

Such great news! I'm free keen to have a setup where the Essence remote is on the wall controlling Hue lights in addition to music (probably a Moment) so I'm sure I'll be pestering you again. [quote user="beojeff"]

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Mon, Mar 28 2016 1:37 PM

Chris Hassell:

Chris Hassell:

beojeff:

Chris Hassell:

Such great news! I'm free keen to have a setup where the Essence remote is on the wall controlling Hue lights in addition to music (probably a Moment) so I'm sure I'll be pestering you again. 

beojeff:

I'm happy to help anytime. Until just recently, the BLGW and MLGW required coding a custom command string to call up Scenes and Groups (as they are defined in the Hue API). However, the BLGW just added support for adding true Hue Scenes. This should make programming much easier. I have an Essence wall remote mounted next to the entry door and programmed to control the Hue lights. It works great. However, I have added Lutron RadioRa 2 keypads on the wall and find myself using them instead. The keypads have backlit buttons than can be custom-engraved so the buttons are labeled to identify the Scene. The turnaround time for getting the custom-engraving is usually 2-3 weeks, and you can always replace the custom buttons later if you change the programming. This is a truly gorgeous solution. You can see photos of the keypads that I have posted in the photo gallery section.

Note that you can program the Essence remote buttons to respond differently to short presses and long presses. For example, you can do a short press to turn off the lights but do a long press to turn off the lights AND turn off the B&O TV and music system.

Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member

beojeff:

I'm happy to help anytime. Until just recently, the BLGW and MLGW required coding a custom command string to call up Scenes and Groups (as they are defined in the Hue API). However, the BLGW just added support for adding true Hue Scenes. This should make programming much easier. I have an Essence wall remote mounted next to the entry door and programmed to control the Hue lights. It works great. However, I have added Lutron RadioRa 2 keypads on the wall and find myself using them instead. The keypads have backlit buttons than can be custom-engraved so the buttons are labeled to identify the Scene. The turnaround time for getting the custom-engraving is usually 2-3 weeks, and you can always replace the custom buttons later if you change the programming. This is a truly gorgeous solution. You can see photos of the keypads that I have posted in the photo gallery section.

Note that you can program the Essence remote buttons to respond differently to short presses and long presses. For example, you can do a short press to turn off the lights but do a long press to turn off the lights AND turn off the B&O TV and music system.

You sir, are a star. Sounds like I consider Lutron Keypads, although I absolutely love the look of the Essence remote! Couple of questions/thoughts...

I was going to essentially have the essence short clicks as light commands, and long presses for music based commands (going through BLGW to Hue lights and a Moment respectively). If I had an essence remote in the bedroom (going via my BV11 IR receiver), one in the living room (going via my Essence box IR receiver) and one in the cinema room (going via my BV Avant receiver) - can the BLGW tell the difference between the remotes?

So you use the Lutron Keypads to control Hue? Sounds like a good way to replace all light switches in the house without the need for a B&O IR Receiver in each room. What equipment is needed to enable the keypads to talk to the BLGW?

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,278
Bronze Member
Seanie_230 replied on Mon, Mar 28 2016 11:03 PM
Hi chris

You can have more than one essence remote Becuase the trigger is different if the IR that receives it is different

For example if I take my essence remote from my living room and the BV7 picks up the press it could mean living room lights off

The same button press but in the bedroom might trigger bedroom lights off

Only consideration is if two devices pick up the IR at the same time

Hope this helps

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member

Seanie_230:
Hi chris

You can have more than one essence remote Becuase the trigger is different if the IR that receives it is different

For example if I take my essence remote from my living room and the BV7 picks up the press it could mean living room lights off

The same button press but in the bedroom might trigger bedroom lights off

Only consideration is if two devices pick up the IR at the same time

Hope this helps

Ace thanks, makes sense 👍

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Mon, Mar 28 2016 11:48 PM

Chris Hassell:

beojeff:

You sir, are a star. Sounds like I consider Lutron Keypads, although I absolutely love the look of the Essence remote! Couple of questions/thoughts...

I was going to essentially have the essence short clicks as light commands, and long presses for music based commands (going through BLGW to Hue lights and a Moment respectively). If I had an essence remote in the bedroom (going via my BV11 IR receiver), one in the living room (going via my Essence box IR receiver) and one in the cinema room (going via my BV Avant receiver) - can the BLGW tell the difference between the remotes?

So you use the Lutron Keypads to control Hue? Sounds like a good way to replace all light switches in the house without the need for a B&O IR Receiver in each room. What equipment is needed to enable the keypads to talk to the BLGW?

What you want to do is possible with the BLGW. "Natively" the Essence Remote must be set up to either send LIGHT commands or Moment commands -- but not both. HOWEVER, by setting the Essence remote up for LIGHT commands, the buttons can serve as triggers to the BLGW. The BLGW can then be used to assign just about any action to be assigned to that trigger! This includes actions of B&O audio and video products.

This is what is so amazing about the MLGW/BLGW. It acts as a bridge to connect ALL of your different systems together. This is how the Lutron RadioRa 2 keypads can be assigned to serve as triggers for just about ANYTHING. For the Lutron RadioRa 2 you need a main repeater which acts as the hub and interfaces the Lutron system to the BLGW. After getting just the main repeater, you can then connect any of the products to the main repeater wirelessly. The wall keypads are as easy to install as any dimmer. If you can install a dimmer, you can install a RadioRa 2 keypad. There are also tabletop keypads that you just plug into the mains. You can get "extension cords" that serve to connect or cut power to just about any devices. I used one to connect my Christmas tree lights so that I could light the Xmas tree from a wall keypad button. You can also get very affordable Lutron occupancy/vacancy sensors that can serve as a trigger to the BLGW to trigger any action and macro that you want.

Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member

beojeff:

What you want to do is possible with the BLGW. "Natively" the Essence Remote must be set up to either send LIGHT commands or Moment commands -- but not both. HOWEVER, by setting the Essence remote up for LIGHT commands, the buttons can serve as triggers to the BLGW. The BLGW can then be used to assign just about any action to be assigned to that trigger! This includes actions of B&O audio and video products.

This is what is so amazing about the MLGW/BLGW. It acts as a bridge to connect ALL of your different systems together. This is how the Lutron RadioRa 2 keypads can be assigned to serve as triggers for just about ANYTHING. For the Lutron RadioRa 2 you need a main repeater which acts as the hub and interfaces the Lutron system to the BLGW. After getting just the main repeater, you can then connect any of the products to the main repeater wirelessly. The wall keypads are as easy to install as any dimmer. If you can install a dimmer, you can install a RadioRa 2 keypad. There are also tabletop keypads that you just plug into the mains. You can get "extension cords" that serve to connect or cut power to just about any devices. I used one to connect my Christmas tree lights so that I could light the Xmas tree from a wall keypad button. You can also get very affordable Lutron occupancy/vacancy sensors that can serve as a trigger to the BLGW to trigger any action and macro that you want.

Man I'm excited, want all this NOW (but it's going to tie-in with some work we're having done over the next 4 months). The Nest Protect smoke alarms have sensors in them (as do the thermostats) - I wonder if these can trigger BLGW events.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Tue, Mar 29 2016 12:03 AM

I'll add that while our world has turned to "virtual buttons" on our iPads and iPhones, there is something very permanent and reassuring about having physical buttons. Because the RadioRa 2 buttons interface with the BLGW, there is no need to point a remote at the B&O IR sensor. I absolutely LOVE having a "Pause" button on my RadioRa 2 tabletop keypads. It's so easy just to reach over and hit the "Pause" button to stop a movie when you need to answer the phone or go to the kitchen. I also have "CINEMA ON" and "CINEMA OFF" buttons to switch from TV to projector and dim the appropriate lights. I even added to this macro for the popcorn machine to be triggered to start popping popcorn when a movie starts on the projector.

I have buttons on the walls to turn on my BeoSound 5 to favorite N.Radio stations assigned to buttons labeled for those stations.

I have a tabletop keypad on the nightstand with a "Goodnight" button that gradually turns down the Philips Hue lights. I have a "Morning" button that turns on the lights and turns on the tv to my favorite news station for the morning news while drinking my coffee. I have a "Pathway" button that lights up just the lights needed for a path to the bathrooms and the kitchen for trips in the middle of the night. I have photos of examples uploaded in the "Media" area of this site.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Tue, Mar 29 2016 12:05 AM

Chris Hassell:

beojeff:

Man I'm excited, want all this NOW (but it's going to tie-in with some work we're having done over the next 4 months). The Nest Protect smoke alarms have sensors in them (as do the thermostats) - I wonder if these can trigger BLGW events.

I've been wondering about that, too! I also have the Nest and Nest Protect sensors. Having the occupancy/vacancy sensors of the Nest Protect could certainly be made to act as triggers -- I just don't know if B&O has added that yet to the Nest driver for the BLGW. I actually still just have the MLGW rather than the BLGW. Maybe Seannie can add some light on this?

Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member

beojeff:

I'll add that while our world has turned to "virtual buttons" on our iPads and iPhones, there is something very permanent and reassuring about having physical buttons. Because the RadioRa 2 buttons interface with the BLGW, there is no need to point a remote at the B&O IR sensor. I absolutely LOVE having a "Pause" button on my RadioRa 2 tabletop keypads. It's so easy just to reach over and hit the "Pause" button to stop a movie when you need to answer the phone or go to the kitchen. I also have "CINEMA ON" and "CINEMA OFF" buttons to switch from TV to projector and dim the appropriate lights. I even added to this macro for the popcorn machine to be triggered to start popping popcorn when a movie starts on the projector.

I have buttons on the walls to turn on my BeoSound 5 to favorite N.Radio stations assigned to buttons labeled for those stations.

I have a tabletop keypad on the nightstand with a "Goodnight" button that gradually turns down the Philips Hue lights. I have a "Morning" button that turns on the lights and turns on the tv to my favorite news station for the morning news while drinking my coffee. I have a "Pathway" button that lights up just the lights needed for a path to the bathrooms and the kitchen for trips in the middle of the night. I have photos of examples uploaded in the "Media" area of this site.

Agreed, whilst I currently have nothing like your setup, just having an Essence has meant so much more music plays with there being a physical button sat on the coffee table (although the kids do enjoy whacking the volume up quickly)! I wonder if the BLGW can get an Essence MKII box to play a specific station/playlist or if I'd need a Moment to emulate what you've done with your BeoSound 5.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Tue, Mar 29 2016 12:30 AM

Chris Hassell:

beojeff:

Agreed, whilst I currently have nothing like your setup, just having an Essence has meant so much more music plays with there being a physical button sat on the coffee table (although the kids do enjoy whacking the volume up quickly)! I wonder if the BLGW can get an Essence MKII box to play a specific station/playlist or if I'd need a Moment to emulate what you've done with your BeoSound 5.

There's a recent thread about that on the Home Automation forum on here. It seems that the BLGW cannot yet trigger playlists on the Moment -- which I find quite surprising. It's such  great feature.

Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member
Just had a thought that may be really dumb - Is the only way to start pattern play on the Moment with the front-centre-wood-button? No other remote or BLGW can do it?

mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 922
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Mon, Apr 4 2016 3:04 AM
Chris Hassell:

Just had a thought that may be really dumb - Is the only way to start pattern play on the Moment with the front-centre-wood-button? No other remote or BLGW can do it? BV11-46, Beoplay A2, H3 ANC, Beo 4, Beoplay S8, Beosound Essence MkII

Blgw can trigger patter play.

Any 'trigger' to the blgw should be able to start pattern play
Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member
mjmedlo:

Blgw can trigger patter play.

Any 'trigger' to the blgw should be able to start pattern play

Great stuff, thanks @mjmedlo

mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 922
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Wed, Apr 6 2016 12:22 AM
Chris Hassell:

Great stuff, thanks @mjmedlo BV11-46, Beoplay A2, H3 ANC, Beo 4, Beoplay S8, Beosound Essence MkII

You bet.

See here pattern play.

This is the room the Moment is located in.

Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member
mjmedlo:

You bet.

See here pattern play.

This is the room the Moment is located in.

Also - does that 'link' button join an already playing source? If so that means he BLGW can send that as a command right (I.e. join a NL multiroom source already playing)?

Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member
Ace thanks @mjmedlo in quite excited about PatternPlay. Does it learn every time you play anything, or is it just from Deezer, or is it just from using the Moodwheel? Does anyone here know?

mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 922
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Wed, Apr 6 2016 4:50 PM
Chris Hassell:

Also - does that 'link' button join an already playing source? If so that means he BLGW can send that as a command right (I.e. join a NL multiroom source already playing)? BV11-46, Beoplay A2, H3 ANC, Beo 4, Beoplay S8, Beosound Essence MkII

Correct. It gives you the option of everything playing everywhere on the Network.

And you select what you want to join.
mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 922
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Wed, Apr 6 2016 4:52 PM
Chris Hassell:

Ace thanks @mjmedlo in quite excited about PatternPlay. Does it learn every time you play anything, or is it just from Deezer, or is it just from using the Moodwheel? Does anyone here know? BV11-46, Beoplay A2, H3 ANC, Beo 4, Beoplay S8, Beosound Essence MkII

It learns from whatever you choose. Deezer personal collection. I believe it will even select TuneIn for you.

I.E you select tune in NPR every morning at 6 am you can select pattern play which will trigger that for you.

I usually just press a color on the Moodwheel as I like to get something new every time I listen.
Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member
Marvellous stuff!!

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Mon, Aug 6 2018 9:16 PM
Any updates on this?...

What are your current setups like?...

I have recently bought 2 tabletop versions of the Essence remotes...

I’ve read the whole thread and will definitely set both of them up in Light Command mode and then use the BLGW gateway to trigger...

One question, can the BLGW identify and send triggers to ML products?...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Page 1 of 1 (31 items) | RSS