Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BLGW controlling other brand TVs

rated by 0 users
This post has 29 Replies | 2 Followers

Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member
Chris Hassell Posted: Sat, Apr 2 2016 8:33 PM
Hi gang,

Has anyone any experience of controlling other brand TVs via the BLGW? Thinking it might be possible to control my small Sony TV via the IR receiver connected to the Essence box which is under the Sony TV.

Cheers

BeoVision Eclipse 55”, Beolab 18s, Beolab 19s, Beosound 1, Beoplay P2, H3, BeoRemote One IR, BeoRemote One BT, Beoplay S8, Beosound Essence MkII, BeoTime

mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 922
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Sat, Apr 2 2016 11:09 PM
Chris Hassell:

Hi gang,

Has anyone any experience of controlling other brand TVs via the BLGW? Thinking it might be possible to control my small Sony TV via the IR receiver connected to the Essence box which is under the Sony TV.

Cheers BV11-46, Beoplay A2, H3 ANC, Beo 4, Beoplay S8, Beosound Essence MkII

I don't think this possible.

Maybe on and off.. But you'll need something to Send the IR signal.

Simple on/off is all I believe you could accomplish.

A beosystem 4 is the way to go here.
Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member
Not even using an IP controlled IR blaster like the Global Cache IP2CC or similar?

BeoVision Eclipse 55”, Beolab 18s, Beolab 19s, Beosound 1, Beoplay P2, H3, BeoRemote One IR, BeoRemote One BT, Beoplay S8, Beosound Essence MkII, BeoTime

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,278
Bronze Member
Hi Chris

I would think the global cache should do it because you can write macro's

IR receives TV

BLGW detects TV pressed

BLGW sends command to Global Cache to tell Sony TV on

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member
Seanie_230:

Hi Chris

I would think the global cache should do it because you can write macro's

IR receives TV

BLGW detects TV pressed

BLGW sends command to Global Cache to tell Sony TV on

BLGW - Rekindling the love of ML

Aye aye - I was thinking something like that may be possible. Wondered if anyone had - the Beosystem 4 is really expensive and quite over the top to replace a 32" Sony (which isn't bad) and B&O don't have a full HD small TV. It would just be lovely to be able to use a B&O remote for everything in that room and get rid of the Sony remote!

mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 922
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Sun, Apr 3 2016 3:36 PM
The problem will be volume

On/off won't be complicated.

I think volume, channel change, guide, etc? Would be the issue.

The global cache is going to be good for on/off but that's about it...
beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Sun, Apr 3 2016 7:29 PM

Are you just wanting to control your TV with the BLGW for home automation macros or are you mainly wanting to use your B&O remote (such as Beo4 or BeoRemote One) to be able to control your tv? If want you want is the latter, Lintronic offers an excellent code converter that can convert any B&O remote command to sent out any command to control your non-b&o tv or anything else for that matter.

You can also load an XML file onto a Beo6 or Beo5 remote to be able to use that remote to control your tv directly. Keith on here is very generous about creating XML files for us. Also, the code converter from Lintronic can be used if you ever want to create your own XML files for the Beo6 to control non-b&o equipment.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Sun, Apr 3 2016 7:31 PM

BTW Chris, I warmly welcome you to BeoWorld. I can already see that you are going to be a great contribute to this forum!

mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 922
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Sun, Apr 3 2016 10:45 PM
beojeff:

Are you just wanting to control your TV with the BLGW for home automation macros or are you mainly wanting to use your B&O remote (such as Beo4 or BeoRemote One) to be able to control your tv? If want you want is the latter, Lintronic offers an excellent code converter that can convert any B&O remote command to sent out any command to control your non-b&o tv or anything else for that matter.

You can also load an XML file onto a Beo6 or Beo5 remote to be able to use that remote to control your tv directly. Keith on here is very generous about creating XML files for us. Also, the code converter from Lintronic can be used if you ever want to create your own XML files for the Beo6 to control non-b&o equipment.

Lintronic is a good option.

I have one of those in the fold as well.

It was not as 'perfect' as I'd hoped but it did work nicely for my setup with a third party tv.

All I wanted was on and off.

The issue becomes on and off are the same command so the standby button is a bit tricky.

But yes, the lintronic is indeed a nice piece.

Might be the perfect addition for you!
Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member
beojeff:

BTW Chris, I warmly welcome you to BeoWorld. I can already see that you are going to be a great contribute to this forum!

Thank you! I've always loved B&O and took my first serious plunge in 2014 with my BV11. Soooo happy everytime I turn it on! I'm just planning my extension which will include a lot more kit (possibly hidden on a separate not-for-wife-to-see budget)! I can't wait to be playing with it all - aiming to be done by September. The various possibilities with the BLGW sound brilliant.

So great to have everyone here to chat to and tap-up for knowledge! Thanks again!

Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member
All not sounding quite like I thought might be possible with a BLGW commanding an IP controlled IR transmitter. Might be reaching too far here - I can't justify a beosystem 4 on a 32" telly unfortunately (even to myself)!

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Mon, Apr 4 2016 1:27 AM

Chris Hassell:
beojeff:

Thank you! I've always loved B&O and took my first serious plunge in 2014 with my BV11. Soooo happy everytime I turn it on! I'm just planning my extension which will include a lot more kit (possibly hidden on a separate not-for-wife-to-see budget)! I can't wait to be playing with it all - aiming to be done by September. The various possibilities with the BLGW sound brilliant.

So great to have everyone here to chat to and tap-up for knowledge! Thanks again!

I'm curious: which colors did you get for your BV11 and A2? I have a BV10 with every color of speaker fret and an A2 in green. I'm thinking of getting a second A2 so that I can take advantage of the dual-speaker stereo, but I can't decide whether to stick with the same green or choose a different color for the second A2.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Mon, Apr 4 2016 1:34 AM

Chris Hassell:
All not sounding quite like I thought might be possible with a BLGW commanding an IP controlled IR transmitter. Might be reaching too far here - I can't justify a beosystem 4 on a 32" telly unfortunately (even to myself)!

It sounds like the Beo6 remote might be a good solution for your needs. There is so much you can do with it to control third party products and home automation. I have some photos of my Beo6 screenshots in the Media area of this forum. I was able to place 6 images per screen of the Philips Hue scenes -- the same images that you would see in your iOS Hue app. I would be happy to help anytime.

mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 922
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Mon, Apr 4 2016 3:08 AM
Chris Hassell:

All not sounding quite like I thought might be possible with a BLGW commanding an IP controlled IR transmitter. Might be reaching too far here - I can't justify a beosystem 4 on a 32" telly unfortunately (even to myself)! BV11-46, Beoplay A2, H3 ANC, Beo 4, Beoplay S8, Beosound Essence MkII

The lintronic sounds like a perfect solution for you.

Give it a serious look.

Where are you located. I'm happy to help if needed.
Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member
mjmedlo:

The lintronic sounds like a perfect solution for you.

Give it a serious look.

Where are you located. I'm happy to help if needed.

I'll add it to my list of things to investigate for sure. I'm in London (although if being literal I'm in Miami on holiday at the moment!!). Fingers crossed for a 32" B&O Big Smile

Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member
beojeff:

I'm curious: which colors did you get for your BV11 and A2? I have a BV10 with every color of speaker fret and an A2 in green. I'm thinking of getting a second A2 so that I can take advantage of the dual-speaker stereo, but I can't decide whether to stick with the same green or choose a different color for the second A2.

Did you get a second A2 Jeff? I have a dark grey fret on the BV11 so pretty understated. My wife got me the green A2 for Christmas 2014. I'd go for a different colour if I were you just to give you options Big Smile

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Tue, Apr 19 2016 2:36 AM

Chris Hassell:
beojeff:

Did you get a second A2 Jeff? I have a dark grey fret on the BV11 so pretty understated. My wife got me the green A2 for Christmas 2014. I'd go for a different colour if I were you just to give you options Big Smile

@Chris, I did! I really wanted a black & copper A2, but they are no longer to be found in the U.S. Therefore, I got the grey with gold. I looks MUCH better in person than in the pics. I love it just as much as my green A2. I thought that just one A2 sounded amazing. Then, I added the second in stereo mode and was blown away. I now have them on separate counters in the kitchen. The contrast of color actually looks very nice. Tucked in the corner of the kitchen is still the ML-connected BeoLab 2000 - I love the Bauhaus industrial look of it.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Tue, Apr 19 2016 2:43 AM

Chris Hassell:
beojeff:

I've always thought the grey fret with the BeoVision 10/11 is extremely classy. It gives just enough contrast. My bedroom looks rather like a bohemian brothel with silk Versace bedding and pillows and overlapping red Turkish rugs. Therefore, I went with a red BeoVision 10 fret and red Beolab 11 shell with gold floor-mounted BeoLab 4s as the rear channels.

Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member
beojeff:

I've always thought the grey fret with the BeoVision 10/11 is extremely classy. It gives just enough contrast. My bedroom looks rather like a bohemian brothel with silk Versace bedding and pillows and overlapping red Turkish rugs. Therefore, I went with a red BeoVision 10 fret and red Beolab 11 shell with gold floor-mounted BeoLab 4s as the rear channels.

That is impressive! How do the Beolab 4s cope as rear speakers? I might be able to get away with this in the bedroom.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Tue, Apr 19 2016 10:37 AM

Chris Hassell:
beojeff:

That is impressive! How do the Beolab 4s cope as rear speakers? I might be able to get away with this in the bedroom.

That was a typo. I meant to say BeoLab 4000s as rears on the floor stands. The BeoLab 4000s are excellent as rear speakers.

Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member
Haha, thought they might be a bit weak!!

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Apr 19 2016 12:25 PM
Chris Hassell:

Haha, thought they might be a bit weak!! BV11-46, Beoplay A2, H3 ANC, Beo 4, Beoplay S8, Beosound Essence MkII

I have BL4s as rears. They are OK. But the nearest is 18" away from your ear.

BeoNut since '75

Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member
How's about this as a theory for how I could control my Sony TV...

- I have an Essence MKII in the same room which the TV has fixed sound output going into the essence line-in. So the essence box (plugged into S8 speakers) controls the sound level.

- IR receiver plugged into Essence passes commands through to BLGW.

- TV receives commands from BLGW via an IP to IR device such as Global Cache.

- BLGW turns TV on when TV command received from a B&O remote, let's say a BEO4(!!) probably using the IR Sony code for a channel number (i.e. Not the on/standby command)

- DVD button on BEO4 selects Apple TV plugged into Atlona Matrix (via BLGW) and an HDMI-CEC signal turns the TV to the HDMI1 port that is receiving the Matrix output.

- Other sources controlled as above point (BEO4>BLGW>ATLONAMATRIX>Device) Sony TV turned to HDMI1 by CEC signal from Matrix.

- Volume control from the BEO4 adjusts the volume of the Essence via BLGW

- All below via BLGW and IP-IR...

--Guide on Sony TV is opened when Green is pressed on BEO4 to replicate behaviour On B&O TVs.

--info on Sony TV is opened with blue on BEO4

--select and direction commands sent to Sony TV when BEO4 in TV mode

--Channel numbers sent to Sony TV from numbers on BEO4 when in TV mode.

-- Off command

I think I've covered what I need the Sony TV to do! Is the above complete bollocks as a theory?!

mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 922
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Wed, Apr 20 2016 3:18 AM
Chris Hassell:

- I have an Essence MKII in the same room which the TV has fixed sound output going into the essence line-in. So the essence box (plugged into S8 speakers) controls the sound level.

- IR receiver plugged into Essence passes commands through to BLGW.

- TV receives commands from BLGW via an IP to IR device such as Global Cache.

- BLGW turns TV on when TV command received from a B&O remote, let's say a BEO4(!!) probably using the IR Sony code for a channel number (i.e. Not the on/standby command)

- DVD button on BEO4 selects Apple TV plugged into Atlona Matrix (via BLGW) and an HDMI-CEC signal turns the TV to the HDMI1 port that is receiving the Matrix output.

- Other sources controlled as above point (BEO4>BLGW>ATLONAMATRIX>Device) Sony TV turned to HDMI1 by CEC signal from Matrix.

- Volume control from the BEO4 adjusts the volume of the Essence via BLGW

- All below via BLGW and IP-IR...

--Guide on Sony TV is opened when Green is pressed on BEO4 to replicate behaviour On B&O TVs.

-- Off command

I think I've covered what I need the Sony TV to do! Is the above complete bollocks as a theory?! BV11-46, Beoplay A2, H3 ANC, Beo 4, Beoplay S8, Beosound Essence MkII

If the ip-IR will do what you want then that should work. That's what I do with the lintronic in my kitchen.

Does the ip-IR control the Sony? If so, then this might work.
Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member
mjmedlo:

If the ip-IR will do what you want then that should work. That's what I do with the lintronic in my kitchen.

Does the ip-IR control the Sony? If so, then this might work.

Not sure if it will - but guessing in theory it should do! Latest Apple TV should pass HDMI-CEC though the Atlona Matrix by the looks of the latest UHD specs too - I might have to assign the input button IR code for the Sony TV to a button on the BEO4 in case I need to manually switch to HDMI1 at any point I imagine.

stefan
Top 50 Contributor
200 miles from Struer
Posts 2,920
Bronze Member
stefan replied on Wed, Apr 20 2016 1:13 PM

Chris Hassell:

-- Off command

I think I've covered what I need the Sony TV to do! Is the above complete bollocks as a theory?!

Won`t work I`m afraid - Beolink only passes commands in LIGHT- or CONTROL mode through (to ML/BLGW) at least in my ML setup with MLGW...

Sorry - forgot STANDBY SYSTEM commands.

AV source commands like TV, DVD, CD, N.MUSIC... from Beo4/5/6 only work directly on the AV product.

A Lintronic box can convert Beo4/5 commands directly to Sony IR commands. and you can program macros like pressing TV will activate your essence in AUX mode and start Sony TV. Volume level control will be executed by the essence, commands like up/down, left/right, enter, play, 0....9,

colours.... will be converted to Sony commands.

Stefan

mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 922
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Wed, Apr 20 2016 2:32 PM
stefan:

Won`t work I`m afraid - Beolink only passes commands in LIGHT- or CONTROL mode through (to ML/BLGW) at least in my ML setup with MLGW...

Sorry - forgot STANDBY SYSTEM commands.

AV source commands like TV, DVD, CD, N.MUSIC... from Beo4/5/6 only work directly on the AV product.

A Lintronic box can convert Beo4/5 commands directly to Sony IR commands. and you can program macros like pressing TV will activate your essence in AUX mode and start Sony TV. Volume level control will be executed by the essence, commands like up/down, left/right, enter, play, 0....9,

colours.... will be converted to Sony commands.

Stefan

I agree. You'd have to have something from the IR-IP that receives the command then converts it to your song.

My ir receiver in my kitchen does double duty. It pulls commands from B&O for both the lintronic and the essence.
Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member
So if you select TV on a Beolink control the BLGW can't detect this and do other things. (I.e. If I select a certain source on my BV11 it can't switch to that source and also get the BLGW to do something?

mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 922
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Wed, Apr 20 2016 11:30 PM
Chris Hassell:

So if you select TV on a Beolink control the BLGW can't detect this and do other things. (I.e. If I select a certain source on my BV11 it can't switch to that source and also get the BLGW to do something? BV11-46, Beoplay A2, H3 ANC, Beo 4, Beoplay S8, Beosound Essence MkII

Correct

Blgw will not do that.

You'll need the lintronic to do that. The lintronic will allow you to 'map' the beo4.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Fri, Apr 22 2016 11:40 AM

Chris Hassell:
So if you select TV on a Beolink control the BLGW can't detect this and do other things. (I.e. If I select a certain source on my BV11 it can't switch to that source and also get the BLGW to do something?

The BLGW won't do that. However, you an create macros on the Beo6 that can carry out multiple commands like that.

Page 1 of 1 (30 items) | RSS