Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Using DVI socket on a Beovision 7

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Teddy_fr
Not Ranked
near ANGOULEME FRANCE
Posts 40
Bronze Member
Teddy_fr Posted: Thu, Apr 21 2016 10:36 AM

Hello all,

just a question, I would like to connect an HD decoder to the DVI socket of a Beovision 7-32 (2008 model).

How can I select this input from the Beo4 remote ?

Will I get the sound ?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Marc

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hello Marc,

The DVI input on early Beovision 7s just give the picture, so you would need a separate connection for the sound.  You would normally use an HDMI cable ( http://soundsheavenly.com/input/55--hdmi-.html ) and DVI adapter ( http://soundsheavenly.com/misc/58--hdmi-dvi-block-.html ) for the picture, plus a twin RCA cable for the sound ( http://soundsheavenly.com/hifi-av/113--2rca-2rca-.html ) assuming that your HD decoder has red and white Audio Out sockets fitted.

The setup does vary depending on the TV software, but in general terms to set this up, go into the TV menu and assign the decoder to one of the remote source buttons (eg. DTV) then set DVI=On to assign the DVI socket, then assign the audio sockets that you plugged the sound cable into (eg. AV4).

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

Langleyav
Top 500 Contributor
Windsor UK
Posts 226
Bronze Member
Langleyav replied on Thu, Apr 21 2016 2:30 PM

I have just done the same thing. Add PC to your Beo4 remote and select it to open the DVI socket. On some earlier models you also need to connect the analogue sound output from decoder to the L & R audio input sockets .

Ron

Teddy_fr
Not Ranked
near ANGOULEME FRANCE
Posts 40
Bronze Member
Teddy_fr replied on Thu, Apr 21 2016 4:22 PM

Thank you Steve & Ron for your quick answers ! Yes - thumbs up

I will try soon this evening.

Marc

DISCODUCK
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Bronze Member
DISCODUCK replied on Thu, Dec 10 2020 7:46 PM

Hi Steve,.I am trying to connect a SKY Q box to a beovision 7-40 via the DVI input.I have a HDMI-DVI cable and an optical digital out cable connected to a DAC with a single rca coming out.Could you let me know what I have to do in the connections menu to access the source plugged into the DVI connection and the rca audio input? Thanks in advance.I hope I have explained what I am trying to do clearly enough Thanks.Alan

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your enquiry, I had forgotten about this thread from back in 2016!  Technology has moved on in the past four years...

I am very sorry but I am not aware of any way reliably use current streaming devices such as Amazon Firestick, Sky Q, Chromecast, Apple TV, etc. with older TVs that don't have HDMI sockets fitted.  Adapters or converters don't usually work well, as the HDCP protection software in the streaming device can turn off the signal unless a TV with an HDMI socket is detected.

For this reason, I have to apologise that the solutions which I would have suggested a few years ago can't be recommended now.  I am sorry that I don't currently have a solution to use these devices with non-HDMI TVs, but maybe someone else on the forum has an up-to-date solution that they can suggest?

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

Johan
Top 200 Contributor
Bolsward, NL
Posts 450
Gold Member
Johan replied on Fri, Dec 11 2020 4:48 PM

Hello Adam,

It could mean that the 'single RCA' is a digital SPDIF coaxial output. Some newer BeoVision 7 TVs will accept that as an audio input, my older BV7-32 does not.

My way to connect the an Apple TV is as follows.

Apple TV > (HDMI cable) > HDMI Audio Extractor > (HDMI to DVI cable) > BeoVision 7

plus:

HDMI Audio Extractor > (stereo RCA (red and white) audio cable) > BeoVision 7

I have made the (stereo!) audio connections to the L/R (red and white) stereo connections at AV4, in the menu set audio to 'none' and  HDTV to DVI-I.

When your BeoVision does accept the digital coax SPDIF input (the single RCA), you could put it to sockets A1 to A4 and choose the same in the connections menu.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you get it running, it would be great to keep on using such a nice TV a bit longer in the ever changing electrnics world!

Regards,

Johan

jacobl
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
jacobl replied on Tue, Feb 9 2021 9:32 PM
@Johan, 
What HDMI audio extractor are you using, what brand and model?
I have an old Beovision 40"  (believe it's Mark I) and I would like to connect it to Apple TV. 
Best regards, 
Jacob
Johan
Top 200 Contributor
Bolsward, NL
Posts 450
Gold Member
Johan replied on Wed, Feb 10 2021 7:05 PM

Hello Jacob, welcome to the forum!

It is a "DeLock HDMI Audio Extractor 4K compact" that I got for some EUR 30 at Amazon. Let us know how you get on :-).

Good luck, Johan

jacobl
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
jacobl replied on Wed, Feb 10 2021 8:56 PM

Thanks for the quick feedback! 

Just ordered one, let's see if it works in my setup ;-)

/jacob

Fabrizio131
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member

Hi Johan

Have the opportunity to find a BeoVision 7-32 MKIII (type 9338) that I want to connect to an Apple TV 4K 64Gb.

Was interested with your post and to find an efficient solution with "converter" that really works.

In the one you mention, don't we miss a cable to convert the HDMI to DVI then, once out of the Delock Box ?

Thanks in advance

Fabrizio131
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member

Hi Johan

Have the opportunity to find a BeoVision 7-32 MKIII (type 9338) that I want to connect to an Apple TV 4K 64Gb.

Was interested with your post and to find an efficient solution with "converter" that really works.

In the one you mention, don't we miss a cable to convert the HDMI to DVI then, once out of the Delock Box ?

Thanks in advance

Johan
Top 200 Contributor
Bolsward, NL
Posts 450
Gold Member
Johan replied on Fri, Nov 19 2021 4:08 PM

Oops, I seem to never have answered you question! Did you fix it in the meantime?

The converter has a short HDMI lead that is plugged in the ATV.

Out of the converter to the BeoVision go:

- one HDMI to DVI cable

- one 3.5mm minijack to RCA stereo cable

Johan

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS