Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BM-Link finally dead?

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

dilznik
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Bronze Member
dilznik Posted: Fri, Apr 22 2016 6:16 PM

I've been using this old crusty version of BM-Link for years on my Mini to listen to iTunes on my BS4.  Yesterday it stopped working, possibly after a system upgrade, and I can't get it going again.  So the questions are:

Is anyone still using BM-Link successfully?

And if not, what are you using?

My next option is to get a Sonos Connect and hook it up to the AUX input on the BS4 and call it a day.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Fri, Apr 22 2016 7:30 PM
I checked if BM-Link was running and pressed N-Music and to my got Deezer on my Essence instead.

I'll do a proper check later today eg is the BeoPort securely wired in and posted on !

BeoNut since '75

dilznik
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Bronze Member
dilznik replied on Fri, Apr 22 2016 10:35 PM

I rebooted everything twice, since once didn't work and now I'm up and running again.  The control panel for bm-link hangs when I try and open it though.  I think I should mentally prepare myself to going the Sonos Connect route.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Apr 23 2016 12:23 AM
My BeoPort was powered off ... My BeoLink Converter mapping needs improvement to prevent the BeoPort clashing with the Essence.

However once I powered the BeoPort up it worked without any Mac OS X restart, and N-Music plays and skip track key works.

I don't have problems with the pull down volume/loudness/mute menu other than its options have no effect (since I never use them I have no idea when that stopped)

Simultaneously the Preferences > BM-Link displays and its stop button worked but start did not restart. I now may be in a reboot space .... Now reworking. Tests over Smile

And I know the Essence is more than Sonos but why not consider it as an option ?

BeoNut since '75

dilznik
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Bronze Member
dilznik replied on Sat, Apr 23 2016 1:00 AM

This? http://www.asus.com/microsite/essence/

I actually have a tube DAC between the mini and the BS4 that does most or all of that.  I'd use Sonos to hook up sections of my house that I don't have cable running to that are currently covered with Airplay.  With three Connects I'd have the whole house covered.

Also, oddly, Apple Music works better in Sonos than in iTunes.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Apr 23 2016 1:45 AM
No I meant the B&O Essence Mark 2.

You could use its line out into your BeoSound as a first step.

But now reading your post properly I see that's a bad idea.

How do you drive the speakers today ? Multi stream AirPlay from the MacMini ?

In what way is the Sonos better with Apple Music than iTunes ?

BeoNut since '75

dilznik
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Bronze Member
dilznik replied on Mon, Apr 25 2016 1:46 AM

I go:

Mini-->DAC-->Beolink-->BS4

BS4 has BL6000 in living room and BS3000 in bedroom.  I also drive other amps and speakers around the house and garage and outside with Airplay.  The problem is since Apple didn't update their Remote app for the iPhone, I can't run Apple Music that way.  I have to get into the Mini with a laptop and select it.  Then when I shut off the BS4 and start it up again, it sometimes plays the last playlist I was in or sometimes just Abba Dancing Queen since that's the first song out of tens of thousands.

If I went with the Sonos route I'd go:

Sonos Connect-->DAC-->BS4 Aux port.

I could then properly control Apple Music through the Sonos app. I'd no longer need a laptop or even that Mini.  I could get two more Connects and cover my whole house, garage, man shed.  It would be $350 each for that and I can still use my BS4 and two tube amps I have.

Through the Sonos app (I used it at my dad's place for 8 weeks while my kitchen was being remodeled) Apple Music never stopped playing.  On the Mini it stops and asks "are you still listening" after awhile.  This alone is probably enough to drive me to do it.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Mon, Apr 25 2016 1:08 PM
dilznik:

On the Mini it stops and asks "are you still listening" after awhile.  This alone is probably enough to drive me to do it.

I've never had it do that to me!

Nonetheless you have clearly done the practical research and thinking.

Each of us has our own Use Case. Your's has led you to the decision that is the right one for you. I

I genuinely wish you the best outcome.

BeoNut since '75

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS