Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beoconnect for Beosoud 5 - not for Windows10?

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 5 Followers

sorenfelden
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member
sorenfelden Posted: Thu, Apr 28 2016 8:21 PM

The Beoconnect icon suddenly disappeared from the task line on my laptop, recently udgraded to Windows10. Hitting the Beoconnect button on the desk didn't trigger any reaction what so ever so I decided to delete the app altogether and downloaded it again from B&Os website. However, Beoconnect Install Shield Wizard does seem to download but does not open. I checked on B&Os download website and almost fell off my chair when reading "There is no support for Windows 8.1 and onwards". Excuse me??? Does that mean that B&O have rendered it impossible to use Beoconnect on PCs running Windows10? I cannot believe that to be true - B&O have sold this product until quite recently and surely cannot treat their customers so badly as to stop an essential service that is essential to the very functioning of the product? In that case that will be a clue to never ever buy a software based producs from B&O ever again, whether audio or video.

And if this nightmare reakky is true how do I rescue the music that is already on the Beomaster 5 (and pease, I am not very good at the technical language so any advice please in laymans language :-)). And is there any way to continue using Beosound5 as it is intended, i.e. adding new music?

Help much appreciated! 

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Thu, Apr 28 2016 11:14 PM

I hope this is not their long term solution.  Although, I would claim it is probably Microsoft that has rendered it impossible by changing their OS.  B&O has done nothing (which is part of the problem) except issue their (unfortunate) response to say "not supported".  This is what almost all software companies do.  First they say "not supported", then if the users complain enough and/or the fix is easy enough, they will create an update to resolve the problem. 

BeoConnect seems to run fine on Win 8.1.  I just installed and used it the other day.

If B&O doesn't fix this, then the solution would be to buy an old laptop with win7 (you can get one for ~$100 on ebay)... or attach a CD player to your BS5.

Stan

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Fri, Apr 29 2016 2:24 AM

I can understand that B&O has no intention of adding new features to the BeoSound 5, but for them to neglect such basic continued functionality for the system that was just recently their flagship product is unacceptable.

ol
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member
ol replied on Fri, Apr 29 2016 6:43 AM

As får as i know, in win10, you can execute any program with !Run as compatible!  You Just have to change under properties for the program you want to run, I do recall option being XP,win7,win8 and ,8.2, at least it is worth a try, 

Regards

Ole

sorenfelden
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

Thanks for the tip. But I did play around with the compatibility settings, trying both Windows 7 and 8 (I ran an 8), but is still dead.....

Will speak to the dealer over the next few days, but this really is a persistent problem then, a said above, completely unacceptable and will need to raise some online storm.

ol
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member
ol replied on Fri, Apr 29 2016 8:16 AM

Nice, hopefully you also tried with the Firewall complete off, I had a lot of programs being blocked, and they ran nicely without the firewall on---that's all from me-- enjoy, and hopefully you get our problem fixed--

Regards

Ole

Solex
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 103
Bronze Member
Solex replied on Fri, Apr 29 2016 9:17 AM

I have Beoconnect running on win 10 since start of win 10 and no problems at all.

Beovision 10-46, Beo6, Beosound 5+ Beomaster 5, Beolab 12.2, Beolab 12.3, Beocom 6000

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Fri, Apr 29 2016 3:09 PM
I recently purchased a Windows 10 computer. I installed Beoconnect on it. It seemed to install fine and appeared to work, although I have not tried to add music to my Beosound 5.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

sorenfelden
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

Thanks for the replies. I downloaded Windows10 months ago and it ran fine until recently - not sure why the installation program refuses to download/open now, maybe because the Windows 10 updates are being rolled out continuously and has now reached a point where is clashes with the Beoconnect installation wizard? Mine is still dead today - the wizard seems to install (i.e. is visible on the desk) but doesn't launch. Or maybe it has something to do with the settings on my PC - I doubt it because I never make individual settings, but will take it to the dealer next week and we can try to install it together. Hopefully B&O don't mean what they say when they write "There is no support for Windows 8.1 and onwards".... http://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/customer-service/product-support/accessories/digital-media/beoconnect-for-windows . I will post any news.

Solex
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 103
Bronze Member
Solex replied on Fri, Apr 29 2016 7:40 PM

Success. I have Beoconnect for Some years and never problems as well on win 8.1 as win10, including last updates. Also placing music on Beomaster 5 no problem via Beoconnect and via network. So think it probably has to do with yout pc??

Beovision 10-46, Beo6, Beosound 5+ Beomaster 5, Beolab 12.2, Beolab 12.3, Beocom 6000

Beoberg
Top 500 Contributor
Odense, Denmark
Posts 315
Bronze Member
Beoberg replied on Sat, Apr 30 2016 9:10 AM

I have not added music to my BeoMaster since updating to Win10. I tried today but I could not locate BM-SHARE$ folder. The BeoMaster 5 is visible as a media player and BeoConnect seems to work fine. It is displayed in the task bar and it is connected to the BeoMaster. On Win 8.1 the shared folder was visible below the primary hard drive in the computer main dashboard. Any help would be of great help Huh?

BeoVision Eclipse 55, BeoPlay S8 (sub+rears), BeoPlay A9 MKII (living room), BeoVision Avant 32 DVD (retro gaming, basement), BeoLab 4000 (entertainment room, basement), BeoSound 8 (workshop), 2x BeoPlay S3 (PC), BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay H2/H3 (on the go)

Beoberg
Top 500 Contributor
Odense, Denmark
Posts 315
Bronze Member
Beoberg replied on Sat, Apr 30 2016 9:22 AM

Never mind. It became visible after a network reset Yes - thumbs up

BeoVision Eclipse 55, BeoPlay S8 (sub+rears), BeoPlay A9 MKII (living room), BeoVision Avant 32 DVD (retro gaming, basement), BeoLab 4000 (entertainment room, basement), BeoSound 8 (workshop), 2x BeoPlay S3 (PC), BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay H2/H3 (on the go)

sorenfelden
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

Had a talk with my dealer today; He basically repeated what is stated on B&Os website, i.e. that Beoconnect is not supported beyond "Windows 8.1". It might work temporarily on Windows 10 in s far as it is being gradually rolled out in various locations and downloads, but one day it will fail, in my case when I tired to download it again. Obviously, this is completely unsatisfactoryto have a fairly new and expensive product rendered useless - I will contact B&O mothership and hope others will do the same proactively and before you get the same problem - because you will if you run Windows10. You can aways refer to the statement on the website about not supporting beyond 8.1. Thanks. 

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Tue, May 3 2016 11:53 PM

I looked at BeoConnect on my Windows 10 computer today. It says the software version is 1.0.7.0 and that it is the latest version. The B and O web page says the version available for download is 1.6.0.0.     

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Solex
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 103
Bronze Member
Solex replied on Thu, May 12 2016 8:01 PM
I contacted Beocare...and this was the answer from them:
I am sorry to confirm that BeoConnect is not directly compatible with Windows 8. However, a work-around will still allow you to transfer music to your BeoMaster 5 from a Windows 10 computer:
  • In order to move music to the BeoMaster 5, you can map the library manually from Windows Explorer
  • On BeoSound 5 in Settings  - 'Network Info' the IP address of BeoMaster 5 is written
  • In your computer: Open 'Computer' and select 'Map network drive' in menu
  • Map any free drive letter to: \\<IP Address of BeoMaster 5>\bm-share$
  • Provide 'BM-USER' as user and the password stored as CLIENT PASSWORD on BeoMaster 5
  • Now select the drive and navigate to "Music"
  • You are now able to drag and drop files from your computer to the music library on BeoMaster 5

BeoConnect does work on Windows 10, provided you use the mentioned work-around. Coloured playlists can be created and maintained locally on the BeoSound 5.

I do understand that this still is not the answer you were hoping for, and I have made sure to share your feedback with the responsible Product Manager. Unfortunately, however, I cannot guarantee that a version of BeoConnect that fully supports Windows 10 will become available.

Solex
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 103
Bronze Member
Solex replied on Mon, May 16 2016 12:35 PM

My Beoconnect, also latest version 1.0.7.0. still working on my windows 10 pc (updated win10 to latest version) in compability mode windows 7. Right click on Beoconnect...properties...compability

Beasley
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
Beasley replied on Wed, Jul 11 2018 12:35 PM

Hi, all.  I'm trying to divine how long the workaround "Solex" described (on May 12 2016) might remain available.  After upgrading to Win 10 in late 2016 I sent BeoCare article 2232, Transfer music via Windows Explorer to BeoMaster 5/BeoSound 5, asking if that procedure works in Win 10.  BeoCare gave me same answer it gave Solex, that the workaround would work "for now".

Fast forward to "now"!  Since our BeoSound 5 was new, we've had connection problems.  We belatedly learned it was positioned at a greater distance from BeoMaster 5 than B&O recommends, so a balun was installed.  Because all baluns fail over time, we're now on our 3rd.  Worse, now our BS5 "freezing" problems have worsened, likely due to a failing balun.  What happens: BeoSound 5 LED flashes, and to fix, instead of simply restarting BeoMaster 5, we now have to remove BeoSound 5 from its wall bracket, unplug & replug its power cord, then remount.  This isn't easy! 

So we're now working with B&O to reposition BeoSound5 contiguous to BM5, eliminating the balun and hopefully solving our "LED freezing" problem.  Drywall repair and painting will be needed.

But my fear isn't home repairs, it's continued availability of BeoConnect for Windows.  I don't want to reposition BS5, then due to some unforeseen future event, discover that the only version of BeoConnect that's available for download either (1) won't install on a Win 10 machine, or (2) will install but won't enable me to see my BM drive. I have BeoConnect 1.0.7.0 now, with which the workaround works.  But yesterday, before proceeding with my project to reposition BS5, I double-checked the BeoConnect for Windows download page, and I saw only a NEWER version of BeoConnect = 1.6.0.0.

Seeing only this newer version of BeoConnect for Windows scares me!  If I were to lose 1.0.7.0, presumably I'd have reinstall BeoConnect, but I'd have available only an untested/unknown 1.6.0.0 (or possibly some later-yet version).  At that juncture, if that newer version didn't enable seeing the BM drive, I'd be unable to transfer new music... which would, in effect, spell the death of our BeoSound 5.

My B&O dealer suggested an alternative: upgrade to BeoSound Core and Deezer.  Problem is, we love the music we already own, and much of it is "historic" opera, jazz and blues.  I don't see us as streamers because, for example, when we listen to an opera, we want a *specific* performance.  For an opera, I fear we'd be picking thru some streaming service to locate "our" specific performance (and we'd expect to battle metadata "howlers"), then trying to locate all its tracks!  Or worse: we could discover our streaming service doesn't make available our favorite (old) operas, blues, and jazz.

Does anyone have advice?  Or suggestions as to whom in B&O I could pose these software continuity concerns and get reliable answers?  (Getting thru to Tech Support is nasty: phone line always busy, with no option to leave your # for callback.)  I hope this finds everyone well.  Thank you.

[<b>edited by:</b> Beasley at 2:27 PM (GMT 0) on Thu, Jul 12 2018]
UPDATE to explain my short-lived confusion on version(s) of BeoConnect for Windows version. BeoCare just acknowledged a website misstatement & confirmed it will get fixed. The version you see when accessing the download *from the BeoSound 5 support page* remains 1.0.7.0. The confusion: there's a WEBSITE ERROR when you access the download from the *BeoConnect for Windows* support page, that now shows an *erroneous* 1.6.0.0 version that doesn't even exist. BeoCare just confirmed it will fix this webpage to show the correct (and actually only) version, which is 1.0.7.0.

Beheit
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member
Beheit replied on Thu, Dec 31 2020 11:16 PM

Hi,

I resolved the issue and can connect through beoconnect to beomaster5 in windows 10.

1 Enable SMB File sharing.

2 Remap the BM-Share to X Drive and disconnect the Z drive.

3 Start beoconnect you will be asked for a password use the password you set on the beosound5.

the Icon should start blinking wait a little till it connect.

Enjoy

John Beheit

Beheit
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member
Beheit replied on Thu, Dec 31 2020 11:16 PM

Hi,

I resolved the issue and can connect through beoconnect to beomaster5 in windows 10.

1 Enable SMB File sharing.

2 Remap the BM-Share to X Drive and disconnect the Z drive.

3 Start beoconnect you will be asked for a password use the password you set on the beosound5.

the Icon should start blinking wait a little till it connect.

Enjoy

John Beheit

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS