Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Essence IR

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 3 Followers

Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member
Chris Hassell Posted: Wed, May 4 2016 12:10 AM
Is there a discreet IR receiver I can get to plug into the Essence?

Or does it have to be the big IR eye/control panel thing?

Cheers

Chris

BeoVision Eclipse 55”, Beolab 18s, Beolab 19s, Beosound 1, Beoplay P2, H3, BeoRemote One IR, BeoRemote One BT, Beoplay S8, Beosound Essence MkII, BeoTime

Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member
Anyone got any advice on this? I basically want to pickup IR commands via my essence box but don't want the eye with buttons etc.

BeoVision Eclipse 55”, Beolab 18s, Beolab 19s, Beosound 1, Beoplay P2, H3, BeoRemote One IR, BeoRemote One BT, Beoplay S8, Beosound Essence MkII, BeoTime

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
I can understand why a regular IR-receiver shouldn't be possible to connect? I think I have one in a drawer. Will try to connect it. But it will take a while Sad

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member
leosgonewild:

I can understand why a regular IR-receiver shouldn't be possible to connect? I think I have one in a drawer. Will try to connect it. But it will take a while

Very kind, but you don't have to do that on my behalf mate!

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
I am kinda curious Wink

Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member
leosgonewild:

I am kinda curious

Well, if you're up for it Big Smile

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Sun, May 8 2016 9:32 AM

Hey guys,

a little help:
You'll need a 455kHz capable receiver like TSOP7000 from Vishay as standard IR remotes from other brand use a 38kHz carrier frequency.
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/492758.pdf

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
Are ir-signals read from a microprocessor in the essence or does it need to be between the ir-receiver and the essence?

I don't know about this, so I was thinking of just connecting the ir-receiver to the essence with a rj45-cable. Or will that definitely don't work?

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Can you an essence with receiver 1 or do you need to have the speakers directly connected ?
TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Mon, May 9 2016 11:12 AM

leosgonewild:
Are ir-signals read from a microprocessor in the essence or does it need to be between the ir-receiver and the essence?

I don't know about this, so I was thinking of just connecting the ir-receiver to the essence with a rj45-cable. Or will that definitely don't work?

I don't know.
When I look at the linked schematics in this thread, I guess the Essence does all the work as there are only two cables used for the IR:
http://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/16023/139217.aspx

Somebody who uses an IR eye and an Essence could shine a little mor light on this :-)

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Mon, May 9 2016 11:27 AM
Aussie Michael:

Can you an essence with receiver 1 or do you need to have the speakers directly connected ?

I believe the essence would need a transmitter one to wirelessly connect to your receiver 1s.
leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
When I connect my B&O ir-eye it is cnnectes with 5 wires. But I am wondering if two of them are for the play and stop button.. Guess I just have to try Smile

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Does this help?

There is a tv - and there is a BV

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
It is the rx and tx I don't understand if needed or not to send ir. I am wondering if rx and tx are just regular buttonsignals.

BeoMotion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member

leosgonewild:
It is the rx and tx I don't understand if needed or not to send ir. I am wondering if rx and tx are just regular buttonsignals.

On the "old" IR eye there is an integrated I2C I/O expander (PCF8574). This is the reason there are pins labeled with "SDA" and "SCL".
This expander can switch on/off the both LEDs and can also read the states of the buttons and make this information available on the I2C bus.

As I2C isn't that optimal for external communication I think they have changed that on the actual IR eyes (with the JOIN button). Now there are pins labeled "RX" and "TX". So could be UART but haven't tested it.

IR data is always on an unique cable/pin. Each IR eye will send out the IR signals through this pin even if only 5V / GND / IR are connected.
So the buttons and LEDs on an old IR eye might not work in combination with an essence but IR itself always will. 

BR,
BeoMotion. 

L1NO
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 250
Bronze Member
L1NO replied on Mon, May 9 2016 5:06 PM

Any b&o receiver is compatible. Watch out for the pin-out, this does differ and the new one's are digital. All the IR eyes are new the same price, thus it's only handy if u have spares?

BeoMotion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member

Chris Hassell:
Is there a discreet IR receiver I can get to plug into the Essence?

Or does it have to be the big IR eye/control panel thing?

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

two options:

1) Order the "big" IR eye at your preferred B&O dealer. Should work plug-n-play.
2) if you like to tinker: try to find a TSOP7000 IR receiver and solder it to a RJ45 cable.

Only consider option 2 if you know what you are doing :-)

BR,
BeoMotion. 

Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member
BeoMotion:

Hi Chris,

two options: 1) Order the "big" IR eye at your preferred B&O dealer. Should work plug-n-play. 2) if you like to tinker: try to find a TSOP7000 IR receiver and solder it to a RJ45 cable.

Only consider option 2 if you know what you are doing :-)

BR, BeoMotion.

Option 1 it is then Wink

The 'big' eye wasn't as big as I remember it to be honest, but surprised it's not easier to have a smaller IR receiver without the buttons etc.

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member

Hi Chris,

One option that is often not considered (assuming you are intending to flush mount the eye rather than just surface mount it on something) is to install it in the ceiling rather than a wall. If installed in the ceiling in a corner of the room the eye can end up being much less obtrusive than if it is installed at eye level on a wall.

Martin.

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Wed, May 11 2016 6:26 AM

Option 2 would allow to hide the IR receiver nearly invisible and everywhere if you ONLY need IR and not the buttons. ;-)

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Sun, Jun 4 2017 9:42 PM

leogoeswild:

Was curious if you ever tried connecting an old Ir eye with the rj45 cable to one of the new NL devices.

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Sun, Jun 4 2017 10:00 PM

beojeff:

leogoeswild:

Was curious if you ever tried connecting an old Ir eye with the rj45 cable to one of the new NL devices.

Using one of the old IR eyes should work if all you want to do is receive IR (just connect the +5V, 0V and IR wires), but the method of data communication for button presses and the status LED on the eye has changed so these functions would not work if you were to use an old eye with one of the new products.

On the plus side, ditching the I2C communication method in favour of serial does mean that the eyes are much less sensitive to the cables used and can tolerate much greater cable lengths.

Martin.

Page 1 of 1 (22 items) | RSS