Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

RF control of Projector lift

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

badgersurf
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Gold Member
badgersurf Posted: Thu, May 12 2016 9:10 AM

Hi All,

I have a projector lift which drops down from the ceiling in my new extension, the lift is controlled by a key ring rf controller. What I am looking to do is control this from my Beo5 remote.

Is there anything out there that will translate IR to RF?  Also I guess it needs to be able to learn the RF codes sent from the key ring.

I am totally new to RF so no idea so all help will be greatly received.

Thanks

Toby

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, May 12 2016 11:52 AM

Thread moved to Lifestyle section.
Please keep the General Forum section about B&O.

Martin

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Fri, May 13 2016 12:53 AM

Dillen:

Martin

If this is to be moved would it not make more sense to move it to the home automation forum (or even the beo5 forum) given it is about control of RF devices with the beo5?

badgersurf:

I have a projector lift which drops down from the ceiling in my new extension, the lift is controlled by a key ring rf controller. What I am looking to do is control this from my Beo5 remote.

Is there anything out there that will translate IR to RF?  Also I guess it needs to be able to learn the RF codes sent from the key ring.

Hi Toby.

There is no universal device that will translate IR to RF (radio) signals as it will depend on the RF frequency being used and the codes that are being transmitted. In cases like this (and assuming there are not already some digital inputs available) it is usually easier to remove the RF receiver and replace it with a pair of relays - one to control the motor direction, and the other to control run / stop. You can then use for example a lintronic box to control these relays in response to IR commands from the beo5.

What make/model of projector lift do you have?

Martin.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, May 13 2016 7:46 AM

riverstyx:

Dillen:

Martin

If this is to be moved would it not make more sense to move it to the home automation forum (or even the beo5 forum) given it is about control of RF devices with the beo5?

Done.

Martin

badgersurf
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Gold Member

Thanks Martin,

Looking further at the unit it does have a relay, so I can use my lintronics box to hook it up (just need to do some reading to do this). This will be perfect as I can also then use the MLGW to control the lift.

The model I have is this one:

http://www.braun-antriebe.de/Beamer-Deckenlift---Beamerlift-BA-80/Beamerlift-X-Lift-600-x-400.html

Thanks for your help

Toby

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Sat, May 14 2016 1:07 AM

That looks like well made product at a very competitive price.

I've recently made my own projector lift which is pretty much identical in operation:

Total build cost worked out to around 60GBP as I only really had to buy the tubular motor and the sliding door mechanism that I used in place of the linear bearings that are used on yours - but I do have the advantage of having access to a hydraulic guillotine (for cutting sheet metal) and a hydraulic brake press (for folding it) as well as a rather large selection of aluminium offcuts, as one of my clients is in the business of bespoke joinery and metalwork fabrication and I do quite a lot of electrical work in their factory Wink

For control I have used a WiFi controller and relays: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311480805968 along with some custom strings on the MLGW. It means all you need is an enclosure and a 5V power supply (eg. an old USB phone charger) and the lift can be controlled from the MLGW without any cables or other devices involved.

Whatever you decide relay wise - if you need any help with how to wire it up just let me know and I'll draw some diagrams.

Kind Regards,

Martin

badgersurf
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Gold Member

Thanks for your response Martin.

I have just ordered the unit, wiring it should not be a problem as I will get my father in law to do it for me!

How did you create the custom strings, this is something I am going to have to learn about?

Your system looks good, and its good that you can do this yourself.

Thanks

Toby

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS