Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Multiroom and Spotify connect

rated by 0 users
This post has 34 Replies | 1 Follower

jk1002
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 278
Bronze Member
jk1002 Posted: Fri, May 20 2016 3:19 AM

Is it possible to stream to one B&O device with Spotify connect and then listen to that stream from another device assuming I grouped them in Beomusic app?

I know the multiroom integration with deezer looks fairly slick but that is not available in the US unless you get a code through purchasing the moment.

WHat is the experience with multiroom when it comes to other services then deezer and tune in?

Did someone try beomusic access to the Ios library with apple music enabled? Do the apple music files show up and don't play? Thats what i had seen happening with the Apple Remote App - horrible.

Thanks

JK

jk1002
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 278
Bronze Member
jk1002 replied on Fri, May 20 2016 7:14 AM

Le5t me add, what I could gather from a whitepaper is that yes spotify can be shared among devices equipped with spotify connect. So Essence, A9, A6 should be all OK.

In daily life, can I listen on my iphone to a playlist come home and press join lets say on A6 and it will pick up where the Iphone left off?

For apple music, I think its correct, it will display the playlists and Albums even though they are not playable. I dont think the 9.3 SDK will change that or enable multiroom for B&O

SO am leaning towards getting spotify, while I like apple music they seem to be moving very slow adding more features. That apple has this exclusiv thing going with Sonos on Multi Room is bit frustrating.

THe approach that Spotify has seems to be OK if it works like I think. USe B&O app for setting up rooms, use spotify app to pick music.

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Sat, May 21 2016 5:56 AM

Unfortunately,  it has been my experience that Spotify doesn't do "multi-rroom". When I try to play join my Essence playing Spotify to my BLC, it says "nope" and plays nothing.   My own music from the NAS and TuneIn are fine.  I believe this is some sort of licensing restriction from Spotify.  On the other hand, I can play Spotify in the rest of my house with the Chromecast audio connected to the AUX input of my BS9000 or via my BS5.  ML is fine, but NL is against the rules.

jk1002
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 278
Bronze Member
jk1002 replied on Sat, May 21 2016 5:38 PM

The way I understand it is that any speaker with spotify connect in it can be grouped. So if something connects via BLC then thats a no.

Essence, A9. A6. 

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/downloads/BeoLinkMultiroomWhitePaper.pdf

This has a table in the end explaining the limitations.

Flere
Top 200 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Flere replied on Sat, May 21 2016 7:51 PM
This is interesting.

So if I have two Essences mk2 then I can join via Netlink the other one even if this one is playing Spotify Connect?

Is this correct?

Thanks.

- Flere

smile and enjoy the moment

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

jk1002:

The way I understand it is that any speaker with spotify connect in it can be grouped. So if something connects via BLC then thats a no.

Essence, A9. A6. 

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/downloads/BeoLinkMultiroomWhitePaper.pdf

This has a table in the end explaining the limitations.

That does not necessarily have to be so (i.e. that you can multiroom, what is played via Spotify Connect).

However, this should be easy to verify or contradict by someone, who has (at least) two Spotify Connect compatible devices in his/her setup.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

jk1002
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 278
Bronze Member
jk1002 replied on Sat, May 21 2016 7:57 PM

That is how I understand the paper.

I googled a bit and someone using "Gramofon" receivers described it working that way too.

Am getting A6 and Essence MK2 and will try that out but that will be few weeks until its here and setup

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, May 21 2016 9:57 PM

There is no way you can connect two devices on a single account, unfortunately. 

Jacques

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

I don't see any way in the Connect setting to choose a group of devices either.

MM

Steve_torque
Top 500 Contributor
Dorset, UK
Posts 145
Bronze Member

Hi, I have that set up - and essence mk2 and A6, and Spotify multi room works fine. If you want me to check anything else or this isn't what you are asking then let me know.

I will try and upload some images

Flere
Top 200 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Flere replied on Sat, May 21 2016 10:50 PM
Stevegee:

Hi, I have that set up - and essence mk2 and A6, and Spotify multi room works fine. If you want me to check anything else or this isn't what you are asking then let me know.

I will try and upload some images

Hi Stevegee

Can you please confirm the following.

You have Spotify playing via Connect on the A6.

Then you can join on the Essence the A6.

Thanks

- Flere

Steve_torque
Top 500 Contributor
Dorset, UK
Posts 145
Bronze Member

Yes, or vice versa. Essence then add A6. Trying to upload pics.

Steve_torque
Top 500 Contributor
Dorset, UK
Posts 145
Bronze Member
I hope the pics work. You start music from Spotify connect or remote, then in beomusic you select the other room/device. I hope this is what you were asking?

Select device in beomusic landscape view, this us them both selected.

This is how it is shown in Spotify - look right at the bottom of image, it shows its being played on two devices.

And Beomusic

Flere
Top 200 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Flere replied on Sat, May 21 2016 11:28 PM
Stevegee:

I hope the pics work. You start music from Spotify connect or remote, then in beomusic you select the other room/device. I hope this is what you were asking?

Select device in beomusic landscape view, this us them both selected.

This is how it is shown in Spotify - look right at the bottom of image, it shows its being played on two devices.

And Beomusic

This is great news. This is what I was waiting for. I have an Essence in my bedroom.

This means that if I add an additional Essence integrated to the Avant55 in the living room I can use join between these two Essence's while using Spotify.

So I will switch from Deezer to Spotify.

Thanks!

- Flere

Steve_torque
Top 500 Contributor
Dorset, UK
Posts 145
Bronze Member

No problem, glad the pics worked ok. If you get any other questions then please ask. 

Steve

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Thanks Stevegee - thanks for sharing.

Just what I've been waiting for :-)

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Flere:

This is great news. This is what I was waiting for. I have an Essence in my bedroom.

This means that if I add an additional Essence integrated to the Avant55 in the living room I can use join between these two Essence's while using Spotify.

Thanks!

Sadly not - because, (as of now) connected to/using the speakers of the Avant, the Essence won't 'produce' Spotify Connect as a source.

You'll need at least two Spotify Connect enabled devices..

MM

Normann
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 277
Bronze Member
Normann replied on Sun, May 22 2016 9:13 AM

Millemissen:

Flere:

Thanks!

Sadly not - because, (as of now) connected to/using the speakers of the Avant, the Essence won't 'produce' Spotify Connect as a source.

You'll need at least two Spotify Connect enabled devices..

MM

Ok? But what is the difference between connecting it thru Essence and a set of speakers and using the speakers in a Avant. ?

Steve_torque
Top 500 Contributor
Dorset, UK
Posts 145
Bronze Member

Can't help with that sorry. I don't have a BV at the moment. I am pretty sure I saw/heard this with an avant and 18's at that my dealers when showing me the BS35 and multi room. But I don't want to say for sure. If I go in anytime soon I will ask if they can show me it working again. 

Flere
Top 200 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Flere replied on Sun, May 22 2016 5:59 PM
Ok, so the test which needs to be done is

Integrate the Essence2 with the Avant which has the BL5 connected.

And see if Spotify Connect is available in this way.

I can do this as I have an Essence2, an Avant, and the BL5's.

But I need Spotify Premium for this and I will get this beginning of June.

So then I will test and let you all know what happens.

The alternative solution is to have the BL5 directly connected to the Essence2, but I do not know if the Avant will see them then for the movie watching situations.

- Flere

Flere
Top 200 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Flere replied on Sun, May 22 2016 6:13 PM
Ok, according to the B&O faq it is not going to work.

https://bogo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13858/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ2MzkzNjk4Mi9zaWQvX01Ld0Q4Um0=

So, I will need to connect the BL5's directly to the Essence2.

And then figure out if the Avant can then also use the BL5's via the Essence2.

- Flere

Flere
Top 200 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Flere replied on Sun, May 22 2016 7:29 PM
It is in my opinion very sad that B&O did not / does not built Spotify Connect into the BV Avant.

The so called Deezer and Spotify apps in the TV are a farce.

And btw the Deezer app in the BV Avant has stopped working since the last software update, months ago.

There are a lot of unfulfilled promises with this BV Avant software situation.

- Flere

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Normann:

Ok? But what is the difference between connecting it thru Essence and a set of speakers and using the speakers in a Avant. ?

One is a direct sound signal (a PL connection), the other one is a networked (over BeoNet) connection of the sources, that can be distributed....

...AirPlay and Spotify Connect can not - no need to test that, as my settings confirm that.

Of course it would have been nice, if they had built-in the Spotify Connect feature to the Avant (and my V1).

I guess that feature wasn't available, when the concept of the Avant was done.

Whether that might be solved via a sw update or not, I don't know?

You'd probably need hardware for it too - please someone correct me if I am wrong there!

My guess is, that we will see it in the new BV's - which of course doesn't help the current Avant owners.

MM

jk1002
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 278
Bronze Member
jk1002 replied on Mon, May 23 2016 4:22 PM

Spotify Connect is a chipset driven solution, it can not be added via software update

Flere
Top 200 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Flere replied on Wed, May 25 2016 1:43 PM
Very frustrating this B&O situation.

If I connect the BL5's to the Avant then I cannot listen to Spotify Connect on them.

If I connect the BL5's to the Essence2 then I cannot get them into a speaker group for movie watching.

- Flere

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Wed, May 25 2016 3:07 PM

That is frustrating.  If the Essence is near the Avant, get a PL to AUX cable, and connect the Essence to the AUX in port of the Avant.  If they are not close, buy a $35 Google Chromecast Audio and connect it to your Avant.  I would not be happy with either of these solutions,  but I would probably settle for one. 

Steve_torque
Top 500 Contributor
Dorset, UK
Posts 145
Bronze Member
Flere:

Very frustrating this B&O situation.

If I connect the BL5's to the Avant then I cannot listen to Spotify Connect on them.

If I connect the BL5's to the Essence2 then I cannot get them into a speaker group for movie watching.

- Flere

smile and enjoy the moment

That is frustrating!

...but the bl5 and Avant must be a seriously impressive movie watching experience !
Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Wed, May 25 2016 4:30 PM

jk1002:

Spotify Connect is a chipset driven solution, it can not be added via software update

I'm not doubting this statement as I've seen it written in a few articles.  

However, I have a hard time believing that you *must* have a chipset to make this work.  Otherwise, how do PCs and mobile phones work?  I'd speculate that the chipset is "required" if the audio device doesn't already have CPU above a certain specification (as most audio devices do not, but, perhaps, the Avant does - otherwise, how does it do it's "smart" features?).  

Stan

jk1002
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 278
Bronze Member
jk1002 replied on Wed, May 25 2016 6:24 PM

I think the "must" is coming from spotify and their licensing deals. They protect their music with DRM, There is some protection in that chipset that prevents stripping the DRM lossless. They don't want anyone to be able to "just" code that since that would open up the door for getting around their protection.

Are their tools that let you do that? Yes, but they have to make an effort ...

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Stan:

....otherwise, how does it do it's "smart" features?).  

These are app-based - there is no app for Spotify Connect (on the used platform).

It seems that the Spotify Connect version is only available on tv's with the Android smarttv platform.

MM

Flere
Top 200 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Flere replied on Thu, Jun 2 2016 8:14 PM
I can confirm that if you have 2 x BeoSound Essence2 that then the join function works ok for Spotify Connect.

I can confirm that if you have 2 x BeoSound Essence2 of which one is integrated with an Avant55, that then the join function still works. But no sound coming from the Avant (connected) loudspeakers. Meaning the Avant displays that you have joined Spotify Connect, but no sound coming from the speakers.

Alternatively if you start Spotify Connect on the integrated Essence then the Avant displays this but no sound from the speakers. If you then join on the other Essence then you get the music to the speakers connected to this Essence.

- Flere

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Thu, Jun 2 2016 11:19 PM
Flere:

I can confirm that if you have 2 x BeoSound Essence2 that then the join function works ok for Spotify Connect.

I can confirm that if you have 2 x BeoSound Essence2 of which one is integrated with an Avant55, that then the join function still works. But no sound coming from the Avant (connected) loudspeakers. Meaning the Avant displays that you have joined Spotify Connect, but no sound coming from the speakers.

Alternatively if you start Spotify Connect on the integrated Essence then the Avant displays this but no sound from the speakers. If you then join on the other Essence then you get the music to the speakers connected to this Essence.

- Flere

smile and enjoy the moment

I think I understand ....

in summary Avant knows about the join but it does not "work" ie no Spotify out of Avant speakers however multiple Essences know and also work

Did I understand correctly ?

BeoNut since '75

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member

elephant:
I think I understand ....

in summary Avant knows about the join but it does not "work" ie no Spotify out of Avant speakers however multiple Essences know and also work

Did I understand correctly ?

I think the specific Scenario that Flere was describing (with regard to the Avant) is where one of the Essence boxes doesn't have its own speakers connected, and is instead configured to use the Avant speakers. In this instance, spotify does not work (even if they are the only two devices in the setup and there is no 'join' involved).

I wasn't aware though that you could join a spotify stream from one essence on another essence - that is useful to know.

Martin.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
Pl

BeoNut since '75

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member

Was playing around with Spotify Connect. Looks like I need Spotify Premium to use Spotify Connect? No needed for other Spotify Connnect systems? Why?

Page 1 of 1 (35 items) | RSS