Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beovox 3800 Speakers

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig Posted: Mon, May 23 2016 5:40 PM

Finally getting around to working on these two big boys.............

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

However I have a couple of issues regarding the condition of the cones...the plastic skin is de laminating in a couple of places, can this be repaired? does it affect the operation of the speakers if left as is?.....anyone know anything about these....

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Apologies for the poor quality pics........

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

And another thing.....I cant see an easy way to get inside these cabinets, I have removed the big machine screws from the bottom but the back panel remains firmly in place.....I'm very reluctant to use any force at this point.......help!

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig replied on Mon, May 23 2016 6:12 PM

Just had a look in the service manuals provided here, no manual for the 3800, however It would appear that the way in is through the front via the speakers themselves............

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Gained access to the first crossover PCB......not much to see

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

first speaker complete...........

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Second crossover.....looks like someone has replaced these caps some time back, they has been some parallel installation going on, they do look oldy world components...is it possible they are original?....another odd thing is that the second pair from the left has the top capacitor installed the wrong way around......

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, May 24 2016 9:01 PM

When working with bipolar capacitors like these, there is no wrong way around,
but I agree that it's an odd mix of old and new.
The grey ones and the golden one look original, the silver ones looks early half of the 1980s.
Are all drivers in both cabinets still original?

Martin

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

none the less.....removed them and put these in

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig replied on Tue, May 24 2016 9:05 PM

Martin

As far as I know they are the original drivers......I know that B&O used Goodmans units in 3800, something to do with import tax it seems

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Tue, May 24 2016 9:45 PM

They had 12" drive units - 12" was regarded as only used in professional equipment and so there was no purchase tax. The 4700 used two 7.5" drivers and the 5700 a 10" driver so both were a lot more expensive to sell in the UK.

Nice speakers and came with a trumpet stand.

Peter

pepps
Top 500 Contributor
Kent, UK
Posts 116
Gold Member
pepps replied on Tue, Jun 7 2016 11:11 PM
What was the difference in sound once you popped everything back together again?

I have a pair of 3702s I'd like to recap.
Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig replied on Wed, Jun 8 2016 12:33 PM

Pepps

I would love to tell you that the difference in sound was significant.....however that would be short of the truth, there wasn't a discernible difference to be honest. This may be a function of the plastic skin separating from the driver cone not providing a particularly good sound in any event, or it may be that the original capacitors where still ok. Having said that......changing the capacitors left me with a sense of satisfaction knowing I have done all I can with them ;¬)

pepps
Top 500 Contributor
Kent, UK
Posts 116
Gold Member
pepps replied on Fri, Jun 10 2016 12:14 AM
Hi thanks for the reply.

That's interesting - I wasn't ever as impressed with my 3702s as I am with the baby brother set of 1702s I've had for ever. Considering the cabinet size and the large woofer I was hoping for big bass, but it just doesn't come.

Perhaps the 3702s need a far more powerful amp than my Beomaster 5000 (pizza box variety)?

I don't have a pre/power combo to try them with - hence hoping your recap would result in big punchy sound.

Ahhhh well.

Enjoy the clarity and the fact you pulled off a good recap 👍🏼
Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS