Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Buy....Praise........Condemn......

rated by 0 users
This post has 64 Replies | 1 Follower

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger Posted: Mon, Jun 6 2016 11:12 AM

Maybe it is just the way I select and read posts, but there does seem to be a tendency for some posters to buy (or claim to have bought) products, praise them ..... and then later condemn whatever it was that they so enjoyed in the past. In this I include non-B&O products like cameras and phones too.

Some of this may be due to personalities, some may reflect a genuine finding of problems with products, and  some may just reflect a moving on to the latest product, rather like new washing powders always washing whiter than white generation after generation.

So do many threads tell us more about the posters rather than genuine product issues?

Graham

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

I still praise my BM4500/CD4500-combo - even if I have an Essence and use that a lot more than the CD4500.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Flere
Top 200 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Flere replied on Mon, Jun 6 2016 11:22 AM
I my opinion B&O implies a lot in their marketing communication which in reality is not delivered to the implied level. As it is a premium product this is a problem.

Some people, like me, only find out after they have bought and used the product, and have been waiting patiently for solutions and improvements.

And have grown tired of waiting.

- Flere

smile and enjoy the moment

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
I loved my H8's.

Then I hated them for a long time. You know why.

Now I love them.

You praise a functioning product, but start to hate it when it is acting up..

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Mon, Jun 6 2016 11:48 AM

I think that's a good point well made Graham. It's a question I've thought to ask many times...

However, even the first few posts have given me the gist of the answer. We get excited about a product, buy it, it doesn't work as it should, we dislike it, it then eventually works, and we grow to love it.

How great would it be if everything worked perfectly from day one - and you just KNEW that if you bought a Bang & Olufsen product you were 99.99% assured you'd have a trouble free purchase.  

I have brands I buy without thinking twice about wether there'll be any problems now, or in the future. In the very rare event something goes wrong it's fixed immediately, with an apology - and often a further gesture of goodwill, although not expected. These brands always get my money and my business.

Lee

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Mon, Jun 6 2016 11:52 AM

vikinger:

So do many threads tell us more about the posters rather than genuine product issues?

Graham

I find it very unfortunate that most people come to the forum to give expression to a problem they encounter with a device . It would be very helpful if people would reply to a solution some member brought forward. 

But in most cases you don't get an answer anymore and everyone is groping in the dark.

Although my Moment is full of mistakes, after more then one year, I still love it and would not change it for another washing powder. I just sounds so nice, warm…

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Mon, Jun 6 2016 12:39 PM

I think it's B&O with untrue claims or pure unreliability. Even the A1 is causing problems across the internet as KNOWN has managed more than 10 hours from the battery at low volume levels. Some get 2-3 hours at a high level. B&O's typical arrogant response on Instagram was 'Don't believe everything that you read' - translated, that means don't believe anything that you read from them!

They have to work harder at reliability. The H8s are a great example. £400 for a pair of headphones. £400!!! And yet bluetooth drop outs AND THEN people get send 'reconditioned' SECOND HAND replacements. The brand is a shambles and needs sorting out. It's as though its laughing at the 'new money types' at times - it's very much the Emperors new clothes. 

I find this forum an interesting sick read once or twice a week as it makes me truly glad that I've not wasted my honest earned income on these rather expensive over dressed materials.

It's a shame, but of course, explains why very few people want to buy into it. I find the brand works around materistic snobbery which to me is highly uneducated. AS i've stated before, I love the A1, it's a great design - I just don't trust the company and the way it makes things. Personally, I feel safer buying a Panasonic or a SONOS. They work and they still work the year after and the year after that.

But this forum is a interesting read. Not reading about people's expensive sorrow but more feeling genuinely sorrow for them in many ways.

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,417
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Mon, Jun 6 2016 1:09 PM
leosgonewild:

I loved my H8's.

Then I hated them for a long time. You know why.

Now I love them.

Thanks for the laugh Leo !

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Mon, Jun 6 2016 2:33 PM

Paul W:

I find this forum an interesting sick read once or twice a week as it makes me truly glad that I've not wasted my honest earned income on these rather expensive over dressed materials.

It's a shame, but of course, explains why very few people want to buy into it. I find the brand works around materistic snobbery which to me is highly uneducated.

Paul, I assume you mean  "quick" not "sick".  Or maybe not!

One thing I don't understand is why you repeatedly insist that views that differ from your own are uneducated.

Surely an educated view would be to embrace the wonderful diversity of opinions and views in the world, not to scoff at those that don't conform to one's own preconceived, inflexible notions and ideas.

It would be a dull world if we all sat around only ever watching surfing movies (but never on a screen bigger than 40"), selling our cars and drinking San Pellegrino.  But the fact that some people do makes it all the more interesting.

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

"Selling our cars" or returning the keys to the lease company ?

who knows? 

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Mon, Jun 6 2016 3:01 PM

Simonbeo:

"Selling our cars" or returning the keys to the lease company ?

who knows? 

Smile

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Mon, Jun 6 2016 3:03 PM
maybe its me but I'm always happy if any product these days works the way its described ....

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

kallasr
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,562
Bronze Member
kallasr replied on Mon, Jun 6 2016 3:08 PM

Is there a way to ignore people (and automatically hide their posts) in this forum?

Just curious....

Ralf

Living Room: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-2 (Center), Beolab 9 (Fronts), Beolab 8000 (Rears), no Subwoofer. Screen: Sony KD-85XH9096
Dining Room: Beosound Essence MK II with Beolab 4000 on stands, fed by Amazon Echo Show 8
Home Cinema: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-4 (Center), Beolab 1 (Fronts), Beolab 4000 (Rears). Projector: Sony VPL-HW55
Home Office: Beosystem 3, Beolab 7-4, Beolab 5000, Screen: Sony KD-55XH9005 on Beovision 7-40 stand, ML to Beosound 9000 MK3 and Beosound 5/Beomaster 5 (1 TB SSD version)
Bedroom: Sony KD-65XH9077, Beosound Essence MK II with Beolab 6002 and Beolab 11 (all white, wall-mounted)

In storage: Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000 (1960s). 

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,417
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Mon, Jun 6 2016 4:32 PM

The funny thing is that some of us (like me) could be complaining a lot and are not.

Yes my MX 6000 broke after a few months (tube) and was repaired. Yes my Ouverture broke several times (cd mechanism grease) and was replaced. Yes my Avant tape recorder broke and was replaced. Yes my BV10 was a nightmare and was repaired (and sold). Yes my Beosound 3 is suddenly dead. Note that my Century had no problem at all, like my lab 8000, 2500, Beosound 9000, BV11, Beolit 15 so far, various beocoms, light control...

But overal, I loved my MX or Ouverture or Avant and I loved is too weak. They where to my eyes fantastic products and that's the more important.

For me the Bang & Olufsen experience is very positive even if sometimes a failure can occur.

Sure I must have rose tinted glasses.

Tifoso48
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Bronze Member

I always thought the concept of love/hate was basically a cliche, that is until I started getting back into B&O about 3 years ago, which was based on my experience in the 1970/80's.

At that time B&O delivered beautiful and great sounding equipment that was exceptionally well engineered and worked the first time and every time thereafter for decades!

That was my reference when I got back into it, and I have to say that the look of many of the products today is just as outstanding - no, even better than it was then.

But this is where the similarities end, and yes I realize technology has become so much more complex and complicated.

But frankly, I as the customer should not be the guinea pig and figure out ways to make things work that were not considered because the marketing guys rule and products get rushed to market before they are ready.

It is simply unacceptable to sell merchandise which does not deliver on its promise, especially when you are looking for premium customers paying premium prices.

Before Luca di Montezemolo became CEO of Ferrari, they had the same issue and they were in big trouble.

I can't even describe the countless hours and phone calls to make my systems work and to find work-arounds.

I am totally a non-technical person but I am extremely persistent and so, in the end I have a fantastic system that works flawlessly and that I am very proud of. 

However, I really have learned my lessens and I will carefully consider any, repeat any changes or " improvements" because over time I added and improved, I paid the price in frustration, time and money. 

The unintended but positive consequence of this adventure has been that I have learned a great deal and I can now almost make sense out of all this.

In conclusion, B&O has to make a decision what comes first " the chicken or the egg" - I personally think that rushing out products before they are ready and hoping that the customers will figure out how to really make it perform is the kiss of death for a luxury brand.

Especially in the USA, the luxury customer is not a " do it yourself'er" - the expectation is that I set it up and it works - period. And if it does not work you better have a world class organization in place to make it work.

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,417
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Mon, Jun 6 2016 4:46 PM
It's not easy because some Moment or H8 owners have good working products from day one.

And if you buy a BV11 with a pair of BL18 (for example) you have a top notch audio/video system that works perfecly and look uber great !
BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
Posts 711
Bronze Member

@Beogreg

You properly bought the products, because you really did fall in love. Like a wife, they became a cherished companion, and eventually you accepted the flaws. Smile

Today you are taken in and deceived by a hype, supported by selfies and "mytime" instead of "primetime", and by the time you say "I do", the divorce is already lurking just around the corner.Broken Heart

Maybe there might be a good reason why Justin Bieber wrote: "love yourself",- he does look a bit lonely with his Beoplay product! 

mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 922
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Tue, Jun 7 2016 12:12 AM
I have enjoyed reading this thread.

This forum is replete with complains.

I will admit I am a loyalists. However, I think the primary issues are expectation and lack of education.

I think the dealers don't educate themselves nor their patrons about the connecting of the products. Most of the issues that arise on here regarding connectivity could and should be solved by dealers. Most of us, myself included, do it ourself on install and thereafter.. Problems arrive.

I have a Moment and really like using it. I don't expect it to be perfect though. I realize it relies on streaming music sources and as such.. Problems are built in.

I don't expect perfection in any of my so called luxury items. I have several Rolex watches.. None of which keep perfect time, my wife has Louis Vuitton purses.. All of which have loose threads.. My ferragamos are uncomfortable and the list goes on.

This forum seems to expect more from B&O as a luxury brand than the other 'luxury' brands. I don't understand that logic.

As I said I am a loyalist and am happy with virtually all of my B&O. Do I have problems occasionally..sure. I have problems with all of these 'luxury' items that are boutique items.

I think the problem with the constant disdain is expectation.... Why is perfection expected with B&O ? Yet tolerated with these other luxuries?

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
Posts 812
Gold Member

LOL! Agree with you regarding Rolex, none of mine keep perfect time and the best of the lot is about 6 seconds out every few weeks and that model is not even 3 years old. A midrange/over priced brand which again, is all about marketing (and very good at it) but in terms of accuracy and reliability leaves a lot to be desired. The customer service at Rolex HQ is also appaling. A bit of a disappointment really but then I bought them for long term investments rather than to wear so I suppose I am not that fussed. Assume a Patek or A Lange... would be a more reliable purchase and live up to expectations. 

B&O products are V1-32, BS2, H95, E8 and an Essence remote.
11-46 now replaced with Sony A90J 65”, Sony HT-A9, Sony UBP-X800M2 and Sony SRS-NS7.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
Interesting thread of ideas.

It has made me reflect on my own desires and motivations.

I think in general ... I love all the products I have purchased.

Where I have felt disappointment it's because I am seeking six sigma perfection. (99.9996% which I am sure a fellow perfectionist will correct me on Big Smile).

And yet some times falling short -usually the results of an eBay mistake; or buying a lower model whilst retaining the expectations of a higher model.

So I repeat ... I love all my purchases - even if some have teensy weensy flaws - and when I am sad it's because my expectations were probably unrealistic.

BeoNut since '75

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Tue, Jun 7 2016 4:56 AM

From the horror stories I've read about the Moment, I can understand how someone unaware that it was an "unfinished" product could be very disappointed with it - especially if they bought it in the US where Deezer isn't even available yet.  On the other hand, I can can also see how "enthusiasts" can love the very same product, despite it's imperfections.  I guess "love/hate" hits the nail on the head, and expectations have a lot to do with overall satisfaction.  

My unreliable wireless1s almost turned my wife against the brand (whenever they would inevitably lose signal and stop working - usually in the middle of a party - she'd dig me with "how much did you pay for this system, and why isn't it working, and why do none of our friends with far cheaper systems not have these problems?"  My response: mumble, mumble "wireless is inherently unreliable" mumble mumble).  Luckily, the Essence + BeoLink converter which replaced the wireless1s are restoring the brand in her eyes (and mine too - yes, I did consider going non-B&O for the backyard - I already have non-B&O outdoor speakers... is it really worth the hassle of odd connectors, expensive converter boxes, unfinished software (Android BeoMusic, I'm looking at you) and overpriced cables?  Yes, it is!).  I truly hope B&O can stay in business because everything else I see out there is just so unimaginative (but that's probably because I'm uneducated).

Stan

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
BAND'OH!:

LOL! Agree with you regarding Rolex, none of mine keep perfect time and the best of the lot is about 6 seconds out every few weeks and that model is not even 3 years old. A midrange/over priced brand which again, is all about marketing (and very good at it) but in terms of accuracy and reliability leaves a lot to be desired. The customer service at Rolex HQ is also appaling. A bit of a disappointment really but then I bought them for long term investments rather than to wear so I suppose I am not that fussed. Assume a Patek or A Lange... would be a more reliable purchase and live up to expectations.

Rolex quote an accuracy of +-2 seconds a day, so I'd say your new one is a giving better results than that marketing suggests. My Day Date is 5 seconds out, and i haven't set it since January the 5th.

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
Posts 812
Gold Member

Typo... I meant to say minutes Chris... not seconds! They are all pretty unreliable timekeepers but to be fair, the YMII model is the only one that is usually around 5-6 minutes out a month and I have to keep readjusting it. Pain in the backside and very disappointing. Its already been in once under guarantee and came back with a different fault and then losing time again soon after. The other models are not as bad to be fair, but still 1-2 minutes out rather than seconds.

In terms of B&O, I agree with Stan's recent post in that I am very passionate about the brand and hope they stay in business as there are no other products like B&O from a design and imaginative perspective, not in my opinion. However, as other posters have highlighted, if the products aren't fully tested and there are so many issues following purchase, then there's little hope and faith going forward. What I find a shame is that this is so different from the past and from what attracted me to the brand to begin with. How difficult it is to build a reputation over the years and how easy to then destroy it if you start changing the 'essence' of the model.

B&O products are V1-32, BS2, H95, E8 and an Essence remote.
11-46 now replaced with Sony A90J 65”, Sony HT-A9, Sony UBP-X800M2 and Sony SRS-NS7.

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
That's dreadful. I'd take them back.

With reference to this article. I bought a Mercedes E class estate 20 months ago, and I loved it. InitiallyErm..

Now I've had it 20 months I'm beginning to hate it. I hate the gearbox(the worst I've ever had including Fiat!), the headlights are nigh on dangerous and the stereo is very dated compared to its BMW/Audi counterparts.

I don't apologise for this, it's the only way to find out about a product without the benefit of being say an E class expert.

Buy, praise in the honeymoon period, Condemn when the real world takes over if necessary.

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,417
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Tue, Jun 7 2016 8:11 AM
@Band&#39

Out of topic, but if you want perfect time you need to wear a quartz watch and not a mechanical movement.

From my twenty years of experience as a watchaolic and friends, Rolex are by far the most reliable of all and keep perfect time (and have an incredible after sale service) - for a mechanical movement.

Sure an Iphone keeps better time...

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

Chris Townsend:

With reference to this article. I bought a Mercedes E class estate 20 months ago, and I loved it. InitiallyErm..

Now I've had it 20 months I'm beginning to hate it. I hate the gearbox(the worst I've ever had including Fiat!), the headlights are nigh on dangerous and the stereo is very dated compared to its BMW/Audi counterparts.

I don't apologise for this, it's the only way to find out about a product without the benefit of being say an E class expert.

Buy, praise in the honeymoon period, Condemn when the real world takes over if necessary.

Chris Townsend:

Mercedes used to be bad "because it's good for you" when my father had his equivalent to yours in the eighties!

i had new Audis one after another until I finally got the courage to buy a new Alfa which is not perfect but has a certain something about it . That's including a good gearchange. You don't expect it to be perfect in every respect and will exceed expectations . The cosmetic (fit and finish) is all you get with Audi because their preproduction tooling checks are very thorough and the design evolves but there's no soul. I'd rather have a meal with the people who created my Alfa than their equivalents at VW Group. The same goes for B&O versus Sonos!

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Brigantinus
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 140
Bronze Member

I think it depends what people expect and what they are used to.

I have bought several B&O Systems - most are in use until today and i love them, but......

The sliders of the BC9500 stopped working, the glass panels had to be kitted, the mc was changed two times (now it does not bother me, that it is not working any more), the cd section one time. I still love the design and the touch was magic (when it came out), but.......

The BS 7000 was in repair so often (amp, sockets, mc,). I always hated that there was no shuffle play function (every cheap cd player had shuffle play, even if it was older), but i was like the typical mac user today: if there is a function or a socket missing, you don't need it and the function is just crap and never useful and there is a workaround, and......

My Ouverture was in repair three times (doors, mc and cd), the beolab 2500 two times (amplifier).

Today there is just one big difference  - problems with mechanical parts were accepted - software problems aren't. People are still used to broken mechanical parts. A software problem is different - you can't fix it with a tape.... Wink

And i think even the actual music systems made by B&O are great. The essence if you wanna use an external pad to listen and the Moment if you wanna have a "stand alone music system" (in daily use). I enjoy the "world of music" in one box, and it has changed my listening habits in a very positive way - and this is in my eyes magical. The big problem is, that you can't design a perfect usability for all kind of user - everyone has a different access to software solutions, because everyone uses different features.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, Jun 8 2016 12:38 PM
BAND'OH!:

Typo... I meant to say minutes Chris... not seconds! They are all pretty unreliable timekeepers but to be fair, the YMII model is the only one that is usually around 5-6 minutes out a month and I have to keep readjusting it. Pain in the backside and very disappointing. Its already been in once under guarantee and came back with a different fault and then losing time again soon after. The other models are not as bad to be fair, but still 1-2 minutes out rather than seconds.

Now I understand why Apple was *rapping on about how their watch was synchronised over the Internet with an atomic clock ..... I never knew all that expensive man-jewellery was inaccurate Surprise

BeoNut since '75

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,417
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Wed, Jun 8 2016 1:30 PM
elephant:

Now I understand why Apple was *rapping on about how their watch was synchronised over the Internet with an atomic clock ..... I never knew all that expensive man-jewellery was inaccurate BeoNut since '75

From July 2015 and the new five years warranty the Rolexes are certified for + or - 2 seconds per 24 hours. The majority of Rolexes are within this specs and for me it's pretty accurate for a self winding mechanical movement.

Ultra high-end watch makers (for the majority - Patek, Vacheron, Lange, Dubuis...) won't beat that.

And they surely won't beat that with the water resistance / durability (50 years +) of a Rolex.

Let's talk of the Apple watch accurancy after a few years/dives/tennis matches/golfs/saunas...

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Wed, Jun 8 2016 2:24 PM

It seems to me, that none of these products are actually ENRICHING people's lives. Maybe you guys should stop being so shallow and materialistic and life more simply and appreciate the simpler things in life. Seriously, it's very sickening reading your comments. Shallow shallow shallow people! Gross in fact!

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

Paul W:

It seems to me, that none of these products are actually ENRICHING people's lives. Maybe you guys should stop being so shallow and materialistic and life more simply and appreciate the simpler things in life. Seriously, it's very sickening reading your comments. Shallow shallow shallow people! Gross in fact!

The products ,in the case of the timepieces, are enriching the lives of the people who are producing them to a high standard with great financial returns allowing them to live in places like Geneva where they can enjoy the beautiful scenery. The customers are getting the pleasure of being treated nicely while they acquire their next symbol of their achievement. Personally I wouldn't buy a Rolex but to some it represents something to them and their social group and those they want to communicate where they feel they fit in. They may even appreciate the simpler things in life now and again.

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,417
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Wed, Jun 8 2016 5:09 PM
Are we materialistic on a B&O forum ? Hell yes !

Are we materialistic in the real life ? Not so much (speaking for me).

My extreme pleasure and everyday goal : that my three kids are happy in that crazy world. That's cycling, home work, vacations, restaurants...with them all the time.

Yes I love B&O or Rolex/Patek or Kawasaki or Hutch BMX. So what ? It doesn't mean I don't like surf, veggy food and hill climbing !

Now I'm very very off topic. Sorry materialistic guys.
mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 922
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Wed, Jun 8 2016 5:28 PM
Yes ... We're materialistic.

Bang & Olufsen is a materialistic brand. It's a luxury boutique brand just like Louis Vuitton, Gucci, etc.

Of course this is a materialistic crew. We're buying $12,000 televisions for goodness sakes.

B&O markets speakers that are $90,000. Frankly, if you are a B&O buyer you are materialistic.

Let's not pretend we're not materialistic if we're buying his stuff.

More Rolex, Louis Vuitton, and B&O!!!
Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Wed, Jun 8 2016 5:53 PM

Paul W:

LaughingLaughingLaughing I'm limping out of semi-retirement to comment! Over recent years you Sir, have been probably the main culprit for Brand Name dropping in every other word in every sentence!!!

If I could be bothered I'd root through some old threds to find sentences constructed of nothing other than brand names!!

I can only assume you've either found religion or else joined a cult!

Ban boring signatures!

Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member
B&O brings great pleasure to me and it's very much about being materialistic yeah. I work hard and am lucky enough that I can 'play' with such toys. I'm not into much else materialistic; cars aren't my thing etc. But for whatever reason I'm very much into the B&O brand. Fully aware how shallow that is but that doesn't stop me enjoying 'playing' with them, loving the sound and vision they provide and the design effort put into them. I still enjoy switching on my BV11 2 years after getting it. That to me makes it 'worth it' if you're lucky enough to be able to indulge.

BeoVision Eclipse 55”, Beolab 18s, Beolab 19s, Beosound 1, Beoplay P2, H3, BeoRemote One IR, BeoRemote One BT, Beoplay S8, Beosound Essence MkII, BeoTime

MediaBobNY
Top 75 Contributor
Greenwich Village, NYC
Posts 1,106
Bronze Member

Puncher:
Over recent years you Sir, have been probably the main culprit for Brand Name dropping in every other word in every sentence!!!

'Noticed that myself - Audi, Apple, Tom Ford, Nespresso, etc, etc.  But let's cut Paul some slack.  He's been having problems with a drone spying on him of late.  Wink

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Wed, Jun 8 2016 6:33 PM
Paul W:

Says a man buying branded mineral water. Same principle, just different amounts.
Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Wed, Jun 8 2016 6:37 PM
Duels:

Says a man buying branded mineral water. Same principle, just different amounts.

Oh yes and £250 for a crisp white shirt. I could go on.

For goodness sake Paul. Just because you do certain things doesn't make them right and everyone else wrong and vice versa. I have come across very few sets of opinions that are narrower or more self contradictory than those you express on here.
Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Wed, Jun 8 2016 7:47 PM

Glad I didn't read Paul's comment first thing this morning... I would have sprayed coffee all over my computer.  I guess some have very limited self-awareness, or, perhaps, no memory.

On the topic of materialism, I was always of the opinion that it is perfectly acceptable to enjoy the finer things in life, just keep it in perspective.   Your close friends and family are far more important than any "thing".  If you find that your pursuit of things is getting in the way of your friends and family, then this is a problem.  Then again, no one (except Paul, I suppose Big Smile) is perfect.  We are continually bombarded with advertisements enticing us (or, more specifically, our "lizard brain") to buy happiness, sex and cool lifestyles... Odd thing, while most high minded people claim to not be influenced by the onslaught, the advertising continues so it must be working on somebody (just none of us Wink )

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Wed, Jun 8 2016 8:12 PM

I took the step to B&O merely of the quality they provided years ago, the good old tube Avant. No other brand could deliver that picture quality in those years and I payed with pleasure the amount of money it cost.

One thing led to another, was there any brand with a multiroom sound system (ML link) in those days who could deliver the same simplicity of use and interactivity? No, so that was my natural next step...

Now I'm stucked with a lot of B&O goods and I entered the digital age once more with B&O. All back from a same perspective, simplicity, interactivity... but now I experience it don't deliver me anymore the same quality in electronics as it did years ago. It still looks wonderfully but I have the feeling the internals are made in Ali Baba factories. Poured into a beautiful jacket, and sold at a premium price to keep the name and factory going.

The question to me is, would I invest again in B&O as a first starter in 2016, definitely its a No Go. 

Don't understand me wrong, I still enjoy everyday my BL 8000, BL2000, ... and the sound they deliver and I'm not planning to change them. But there are at present standalone and multiroom sound systems who deliver the same satisfactory for a lot less money. 

To compare, a Rolex is today still delivering at least the same quality as it did some hundred years ago.

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

Page 1 of 2 (65 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS