Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 1700, tech help needed

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Eric
Not Ranked
Iowa
Posts 4
Bronze Member
Eric Posted: Tue, Jul 24 2012 3:41 PM

Hi, very nice forum here.  I've searched and found a few helpful threads for my Beogram 1700 tha I've had for several years, but most of the helpful responses link to a thread showing how to make repairs and adjustments, but the links are bad.

Maybe this is due to the new vs old forum, I'm not sure.  Can somebody give me a little guideance as to how to find helpful posts?   So far my 1700 is starting to spin too fast for the 33 rpm, either that or somebody switched out my records for The Chipmunks!  From reading here sounds like I may need a new belt.

Second, I need to adjust slightly where the needle lowers onto the record, it starts a couple mm in too far, so on some records the first song is already started.

The arm rests very low to the deck and last week I bumped it and it bounced on the aluminum.  I don't like that - is that how the 1700 is by design, or does it need adjustment?

Yesterday I put a record on and the arm skated across the record.  I have not had a chance to look at why yet, but I will look into that next.  I figured I would gather some information on how to service the unit first.  I looked in the owners manual, but it doesn't have any useful information other that the very basics.

I have this 1700 playing with a Marantz 2220b receiver into Klipschorns and it sounded very nice.  I use a MMC20EN cartridge and have (1) spare, so I'd like to get my TT back in great shape.  Any help would be appreciated.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

First of all open your deck and give all mechanical parts a good cleaning and lubricate everything, then change the belt (Dillen on the forum). Th-is will probably solve your speed issue.

The set down point adjustment is described in the onsite manual, as is all other adjustment, but to get it you will have to sign up for silver or gold membership.

Welcome to the forum

Soren

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Eric
Not Ranked
Iowa
Posts 4
Bronze Member
Eric replied on Wed, Jul 25 2012 3:58 AM

Thank you, Soren, I'll sign up for the Silver or Gold and check out the manual!  I'll update when I get to it, may take a week or two.  If anybody has any tips or tricks, let me know.
Thanks!

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Before starting, take of your cantilever and store in a secure place, far away from children and all eating dogs, secure the pickup arm with a piece of tape to the top plate.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Wed, Jul 25 2012 6:29 PM

Welcome to the forum, Eric.  I visit Marquette, Iowa on business every month - are you anywhere near there?

Member "Eugene" has restored more than one of these BG1700's in the past year or two.  He's over in Ohio if memory serves.  You may want to look for posts by him in the new and old forum in threads called "What are you working on right now?"

Good luck with your deck.

Eric
Not Ranked
Iowa
Posts 4
Bronze Member
Eric replied on Tue, Aug 7 2012 6:43 PM

Rich, Marquette is a pretty area, especially in the fall.  I'm a couple hours from there, but get to that area from time to time.  I'll see if I can find some of Eugene's posts.
Thanks!

soundboy
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
soundboy replied on Tue, Mar 16 2021 12:29 PM

Hey guys, I’ve decided not to spam with new threads as I have a tech problem and with Beogram1700. It’s slightly different and rather a quiz for all of you b&o dedicated fans. 

Any idea where this sounds come from? They are of course transferring to a plate, record and the needle, so once every turn I have this distortion in music too. It’s on even surface but also maybe looks a bit like the records are “dancing” a little. 
I am wondering how serious is it, could i fix it myself or do I need a pro and it would cost me a fortune, so I would probably just leave it as is.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xytok70sy8lklj9/IMG_1356.MOV?dl=0

thanks for all your answers!

cheers!

Frank Solem
Not Ranked
Norge
Posts 13
Bronze Member

Hi

I had the same problem with mine. It was related to the three black rubber bushings on top of the motor. They had gone bad and the angle of the motor was wrong.

One rubber bushing sits alone, the two others are around the fastening screws for the motor. All to be accessed from the top.

I managed to find some new bushings in a toystore that sells remote operated toy cars and planes.

Have a close look at the bushings. Try to put something in between the motor and te flate to get it straight. If that helps on the speed, you have foud your problem.

If that is not the case, the motor bearing needs oil infusion.

Good luck :)

https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/28827.aspx

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Jun 25 2021 10:11 AM

Motor bushing are in the webshop here.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS