Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beocord 5000 second series loud pulsing sound when play is engaged

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

jjoyner5
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
jjoyner5 Posted: Thu, Jun 16 2016 1:31 PM

After recording an album I tried to play back the tape but all that happened was a loud, fast pulsing sound and the meters are pegged. I tried other prerecorded tapes with the same result. It worked fine before I recorded anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Jun 16 2016 4:17 PM

Could be a broken off ground connection somewhere, but most likely one or more bad
connections in the record/playback switch.

Martin

solderon29
Top 150 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
Posts 764
Gold Member
solderon29 replied on Sat, Jun 18 2016 11:19 AM

Is this  the super Beocord 5000 from the early eighties,ie,the stacking system?

If so,the favourite culprit for your problem is the record/play relay.The contacts become oxidised with age.

Don't be tempted to try spraying contact cleaner about,or cleaning the contacts manually,just replace the relay.

There are two suspect capacitors nearby (220uf)which need replacement too.They don't cause this problem,but may cause other's.

You probably need new belts while you're at it?Why not get the machine back to full strength,it will be worth it.

Contact Martin above for belt sets.

Regards,

Nick

jjoyner5
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
jjoyner5 replied on Sat, Jun 18 2016 3:33 PM

Thank you for your suggestion! I decided to return the deck for a refund. It was described as working?

jjoyner5
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
jjoyner5 replied on Sat, Jun 18 2016 3:33 PM

Thank you for your suggestion! I decided to return the deck for a refund. It was described as working?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS