Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

TX-2 - Static noise from the speakers as the tonearm raises and lowers

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

wrbear
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
wrbear Posted: Sat, Jun 18 2016 12:31 AM

First time poster long time lurker. Great to see these forums up and running for those that need to know! :)

I recently restored, to an extent, a TX-2. I cleaned as much dust out, replaced the belts and lubed as required. I did not tinker with much else so nothing was tampered with. All was going well until I buttoned her up and played the first album. There is a noise like a dragging needle drop/lift as the tonearm drops and raises. The noise is actually heard via the speakers. There isn't contact of the styli to the record when it's heard. It's actually during the movement of the arm. I am starting to dig into this to determine if there is a physical pinch point. I'm wondering if it's a failure in the electronic circuit as power is applied to the arms mechanism. Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks!

wrbear

Filip
Not Ranked
Kraków, Poland
Posts 15
Bronze Member
Filip replied on Mon, Jun 27 2016 3:40 PM

I had this issue with one of my Beograms. I guess it's the malfunctioning muting switch. You have to either replace it or treat it with some kind of spray-on formula to remove oxidation and lubricate it at the same time. I used cheap solution generally used to fix potentiometers. I don't know if it's available anywhere outside of Poland but I suppose there are many similar products.

http://www.tme.eu/en/details/pr-60ml/cleaning-maintaining-products/ag-termopasty/kontakt-pr/

Regards
Filip 

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS